Do you ever still feel like your former overweight self???

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Today I was telling a new friend about MFP, and how I'd recently lost around 30lbs, and she was shocked and said, "I thought you were a natually slim person!". Then I was shocked that she had said that. Me? Slim? Mmmm....???

On many levels I still feel like the overweight person I once was. Sometimes when I'm folding laundry, I'll think, "Oh - those pants are definitely smaller", or I will see a photo of myself and think that I look smaller, but in most other ways I still feel like my old over weight self. Anyone struggling with this? When I look in the mirror, I still see myself 30lbs heavier. I think I need to work on this.
:ohwell:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options
    Today I was telling a new friend about MFP, and how I'd recently lost around 30lbs, and she was shocked and said, "I thought you were a natually slim person!". Then I was shocked that she had said that. Me? Slim? Mmmm....???

On many levels I still feel like the overweight person I once was. Sometimes when I'm folding laundry, I'll think, "Oh - those pants are definitely smaller", or I will see a photo of myself and think that I look smaller, but in most other ways I still feel like my old over weight self. Anyone struggling with this? When I look in the mirror, I still see myself 30lbs heavier. I think I need to work on this.
    :ohwell:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I feel like that all the time:ohwell: It stinks:noway:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    All the time!

I still catch reflections of myself in store windows and look twice.

I have only recently stopped automatically going to the "plus size" side of a store. I had to have salesgirls kick me out of that section three times before it sank in.

When people tell me I look good, I still have trouble believing it. Someone referred to me as "slender" and I laughed out loud.

There are days when I think the smaller I get, the bigger I feel. (all the small imperfections start to become glaring).

then I have what I call "skinny days" where I feel fantastic. . .I'm hoping someday I'll have more of those.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Every time I see the photos from our recent vacation :frown:

But then, I have a day like today--met a good friend for lunch and he greeted me with "Hey Skinny!" Not that I'm anywhere near skinny yet but it was nice of him to say that--he knows how hard I've been working at this.

Great friends like that keep me going!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    lol. . . it's the flying nun!

Also, Shorerider, I now have your quote in a frame on my desk to encourage me to do my best work. So, thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    lol. . . it's the flying nun!

Also, Shorerider, I now have your quote in a frame on my desk to encourage me to do my best work. So, thanks.:flowerforyou:

It is a great quote, isn't it? I had never heard of him but someone on a cycle forum I check mentioned him, so I had to Google of course! He was a runner--thought to be one of best ever--but killed himself in a car accident (thought to have been drinking).

I liked it because it speaks to me of any gift--physical, spiritual, friendship, etc.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I often go to the size 14,16, and 18 section everytime i go to a department store I have to stop my self and say hold on I am in a size 8 or 9 now lol
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am noticing just the opposite. I am down 26 pounds, and I feel like I am super cute and so much smaller than I was. To anyone who sees me out in the world, I am still a hugely obese woman, but in my mind I am CUTE! The extra confidence is great but I think my weight in my mind is several pounds ahead of where I actually am...
  • AJCM
    Options
    Ladies - thank for all the replies! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!! :flowerforyou:

Vivia - yes, my hubby did mention that I'm starting to get way too picky about my figure - I've really got to just embrace what I have and love it, right!?!?! :ohwell:

Laura - work it girl! :tongue: I also feel cute, and love the new clothes, but I still feel the pressure to those this weight! Argh! :ohwell:

Sculley - I hear you!... and you do look like a "naturally skinny" person - whatever that means!! :smile:

Shorerider - what was with those pics? Bad angle? Can you just burn them? :wink: Hey - we've never actually seen you! Post a pic girl! :flowerforyou:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am noticing just the opposite. I am down 26 pounds, and I feel like I am super cute and so much smaller than I was. To anyone who sees me out in the world, I am still a hugely obese woman, but in my mind I am CUTE! The extra confidence is great but I think my weight in my mind is several pounds ahead of where I actually am...

I feel that way too. Down 40lbs, but still a long way to go compared to "normal" and at least "healthier".
  • shorerider
    Options

Shorerider - what was with those pics? Bad angle? Can you just burn them? :wink: Hey - we've never actually seen you! Post a pic girl! :flowerforyou:

I did! Don't you see my flying through the air there in my avatar :wink:
  • AJCM
    Options

I feel that way too. Down 40lbs, but still a long way to go compared to "normal" and at least "healthier".

You're doing AWESOME!!!! Congrats on your success!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options

Yeah - I like your new pic Sally, but I hate to tell you that you're not 45, it's 2008 - you're in your 60's girl!!!
    :tongue:
  • shorerider
    Options

Yeah - I like your new pic Sally, but I hate to tell you that you're not 45, it's 2008 - you're in your 60's girl!!!
    :tongue:

Air's different up here--time slows down :tongue:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm right with you on this one. My friends at work have started to call me "skinny minnie" which is nice, but it makes me feel like they're making fun of me. Because I can't possibly be skinny, right?

Makes me feel better to know I'm not alone, and that there are a bunch of "naturally slim" ladies who still think they belong in the plus section! :laugh:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Yeah, I'm right with you on this one. My friends at work have started to call me "skinny minnie" which is nice, but it makes me feel like they're making fun of me. Because I can't possibly be skinny, right?

Makes me feel better to know I'm not alone, and that there are a bunch of "naturally slim" ladies who still think they belong in the plus section! :laugh:

I hear you. You are looking great, but I know it can be hard for us to adjust our thinking!

Whenever my hubby says something like, "Hey skinny lady" (that's sounds cheesy - but you know) I always think he's making a subliminal comment!
    :ohwell: :huh:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    I feel like that allllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. It makes me question what is really the problem at stake because everytime I hit a weight goal..I never feel as great as I imagined even though the scale reads what I want it to..ya know? I think its a mental thing and I must get over it! Its like before I was this weight..I never overanalyzed how my tummy looked after a meal, etc..I just enjoyed the food. Now that I am back at my goal weight..I feel like food/image thoughts are always in the back of my head..exactly why I lowered my goal weight some more. I talked to my mother about it and she said it may help if I got some counseling....
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All the time! I lost about 80 pounds 5 years ago and have kept it off (except for the few I have gained this year and am now trying to take off) and I still struggle seeing myself as the new me. Sometimes I still see someone in a picture and wonder who it is and then realize it is me. I have become very athletic and I am often shocked when people guess my weight and are about 15 pounds too low! I just don't see myself like that and I don't know that I ever will. I have been overweight most of my life and grew up being the chubby one of my friends, so I don't think I will ever truly see myself the way others see me. So, you're not a lone. Congratulations on accomplishing so much! To all those out there who struggle with seeing your new selves, as much as I struggle with doing this myself, I advise you just trust people when they say you look great, when they describe you as "slender," and all those other compliments you hesitate to accept.
    Good luck to all.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    I have this to and I have thought about it alot and I think it may be because we are losing weight slowly, so you dont appreciate what you look like now compared to then because you dont notice the day-to-day.
    (Sort of like you dont realise that your child has grown so much until they put on their jeans one day and they're really too short!)

I think this can happen especially if you have plateaued (especially if it was for a month or so), and also when you get closer to your goal weight because the change isnt as obvious.

So, as long as we're all like that - then we'll be fine.

But if you know it may be becoming a problem, please re-evaluate what you are thinking and why.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I do feel like that sometimes. I used to feel like that more often but I am slowly learning to adjust! :)

I mean, going down about 110 lbs in a year doesn't give you A LOT of time to prepare for thinking a different way. I have automatically gone to the larger clothing and when I take them into the dressing room, I a swimming in a lot of them.

I have people call me "small" or "tiny"....or "svelte", and I just don't feel it....yet!

However, I am slowly starting to come around and look at smaller clothes and feel confident that it will fit. I think it just takes time to re-learn how to view yourself.