Snacking

Options
So every once in awhile I just want to snack and it makes me so mad! I schedule my meals & have snacks in between.. sometimes it's not that I'm even hungry it's just the *want*. How do you all handle that? Should I just chug water each time I want something to feel incredibly full??

Replies

• loriefolk
    Options
    If I want to snack, I snack! There's nothing wrong with snacking as long as you make smart(er) choices and do it in moderation :)
  • Melisha82
    Options
    That's good to know. I just feel guilty when I do. 90% of the time I still stay within my calories but I just feel overly full!
  • ErinHouse
    Options
    I know this doesn't always work make the craving go away... but this morning I was really wanting some kind of snack. So instead of eating Doritos, I ate some grape tomatoes. Other good low calorie snack foods that my friend suggested are... frozen grapes, the fat free fudge-sickles (so good and only 40 calories each), or the 100 calorie bags of kettle corn.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Do want you want to do - not what a site tells you or think you should do. But if you don't want to feel guilty - snack on some veggies or somethin' healthy. :laugh:
  • helenamonks
    Options
    This happens to me all the time, when it's boredom hunger I drink some water and normally that kills it long enough for me to get on the computer or find something to entertain myself. If it's actual hunger I drink some water and then I'm starving. My solution to this problem, I eat whatever snack I had scheduled next. Most of the time I'm either predominantly hungry either in the morning or at night so if I eat all but 2 things by 2 its not uncommon for me not to be hungry for the rest of the day and sometimes its the opposite, some days I force breakfast and I'm not hungry again until 12 or 1 and I have to make myself eat b/c I'm getting a headache. And then that afternoon I eat every hour and half almost. Just depends on the day I guess.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Gum! Its a savior for me. You get the feeling of eating without more than about 5 calories. Good luck...
  • futureMrsOrasit
    Options
    I'm a snacker...and it has always been the bad things I enjoyed snacking on...now, when I feel like snacking...I chew a piece of gum and that usually helps...because it's not that I'm hungry, but that I'm bored...
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Hummus is your friend :)
  • meadows654
    Options
    Believe it or not, sucking on an ice cube can help. You're getting some water and it kinda cures that "oral fixation" you've got going on at that moment.
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    You should probably first make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need. If youre lacking iron or vitamins even if your full you will crave food. If thats not the problem and its more of a thing you do because your bored of course it would be better to find something else to do other then eat but if you cant then snack away just eat healthy! :)
  • amycrims
    Options
    i have a big problem snacking non-stop from dinner to bedtime, my therapist (who also specializes in eating disorders) suggested to have a cup of tea after dinner (or obviously any meal) to kind of tell myself, i am now done eating and to walk away. i then nt alllowed to eat anything for 1-2 hours, then 1 snack. If you set these kinds of goals for yourself, it might be easier.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've gotta agree with the gum. I bought a ton and most the time I'm bored. So I'll just grab some water and tell myself don't even think about going into the kitchen and if it still sticks around, I pop some gum in my mouth. My problem is though that I love chocolate and when it's that time of month, I can't seem to stay away from it. I honestly compare it to a person that has a cigarette addiction, except mines chocolate and lasts a week. LOL
  • amandakay23
    Options
    :flowerforyou: There are those special k cracker chips now...fabulous btw...sour cream and onion (27 chips 110 cal) and sea salt (30 chips 110 cal.) Smart puffs wisconsin cheddar.....yum!! 1 oz, which is A LOT is 140 calories....all of these are light, they give you the hand to mouth fix and they are really yummy without a huge amount of calories. For my sweet wants..I chew gum..and also slowly eating a special k bar (90 cal) usually helps...I am a snacking maniac!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Well it really depends on how much I've already had that day. But if I want myself not to snack then I would make some tea or coffee. Gum is okay once in awhile too. Also working out will make me not hungry for awhile.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    When i want a snack, usually at night. I will have a small bowl of multi grain cheerios with skim milk. tides me over and im not eating a whole bag of chips!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been able to take care of the "need" to snack in two ways. At home, I've substituted things like celery, grape tomatoes, light string cheese, carrots, etc. to satisfy that nibbling urge without really adding calories (a bowl of blackberries and blueberries tonight did the trick, and was pretty tasty, too).

At work, I tend to just grab the bottle of water, and take sips from that regularly instead of reaching for a snack.