Can I really eat "Smart Ones" food? I feel like I must be ch

Options
Hi guys,

I just ate a lean pocket, pizza bagel bites, and strawberry shortcake. And it all fits into my calorie intake ... what the heck??? Really???

I must be doing something wrong... I feel like I'm eating junk food. Am I secretly clogging up my arteries/going to be blocking my weight loss goals? I see a lot of my MFP friends eating organic this, organic that, flaxseed, supplements, etc... and I'm not. Am I not going to lose as much because I'm eating this stuff?

This just seems too god to be true....

Help!

Replies

• bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's about calories in vs calories out. Yes you can really eat that way and still lose weight. :)
    However, you may run into an issue with the sodium level of the pre-packaged foods. Also, you need to make sure to get in some fruit and vegetables as well (not that I'm one to talk. lol.)

Good Luck on your journey!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm curious myself. I have some of those in my freezer....
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i eat lean cusine and smartones too and im losing the only thing is watch ur sodium
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Yes you can, but wqatch the sodium in take in the foods. Smart ones, Healthy Choice, Leane Cusine are just fine....It's up to you:smile:
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    I know nothing about those things, but I will say this - check the sodium. Generally pre-packaged meals have off-the-charts sodium, even if everything else is "healthy".
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie

however the quality of calories aren't all the same. The highly processed snacks may not keep you as full for as long
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Eating 'diet' foods will allow you to lose weight at first but you'll probably find the weight loss tapers off. Diet foods are actually not that good for you, too much sugar (or sugar substitute) and too much processed rubbish. Enjoy it while you can but eventually cleaner food choices will be what your body craves. Eating real food will also better fuel your body to help you to build more muscle and reduce fat. :wink:
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat bad food and stay within your calorie goal. After being apart of this site for long enough I've learned
    I can easily eat any fast food meal without going over my calories...within reason, at least. But is this food good for my body, long term weight loss, my energy level, mood, etc?..Hell no.

You don't necessarily have to eat organic food to lose weight, either. You just need to eat cleaner..explore cooking with grilled chicken, fish, ground turkey, various veggies, fruits, nuts..naturally grown food. I feel like the secret to weight loss is to understand how to cut out all the crap we're so used to eating, you know what I mean? Strawberry shortcake and pizza bagel bites aren't going to make you feel good in the long run, regardless of whether or not you lose weight by staying under your calorie level. It probably won't last long.

Good luck! =)
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    They can definately be eaten however they are high in sodium and preservatives, so I'd recommend upping your water intake for that day.

On another note, there isn't as much nutritional value to many of these foods compared to eating more clean and fresh...so if you have them, I'd add fruits, veggies, and healthy snacks like egg whites and almonds. As long as it's all in moderation and you pay attention to how your body feels, I think it's fine!

Good luck!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'd say it's fine if you don't over do it (having one every single day for example). If you're going to eat one add fresh vegetables to it and drink a lot of water as others have mentioned.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I could turn this into a really long answer, but I think it will be more effective kept short:

Can you lose weight eating those foods? Yes.
    Can you sustain an active lifestyle, cultivate good habits, and, most importantly, achieve real health and longevity eating those foods? Absolutely not.
  • NguyenTJ
    NguyenTJ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat the Great Value Lean Cafe meals for lunch at work. They are higher in sodium and you will need more water to help wash it out (or just do another FAT boot Camp work out and sweat it out hehe)... but I agree with everyone about adding fresh vegies in too.

SO... not an every meal every day kinda thing... but GREAT when you need something quick and easy that fits into the caloric budget.

...but I've only been here a week so don't let me help us get away with anything lol
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    EXACTLY what she said. :)

My first 2 weeks on MFP - I loved that I COULD have a Big Mac if I chose to. I COULD have a sundae, fries, whatever I wanted as long as it's within my calorie range... I was starving an hour later though.

6 weeks later.. and I don't crave for any junk food - even on cheat days! :)
    I could turn this into a really long answer, but I think it will be more effective kept short:

Can you sustain an active lifestyle, cultivate good habits, and, most importantly, achieve real health and longevity eating those foods? Absolutely not.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY what she said. :)

My first 2 weeks on MFP - I loved that I COULD have a Big Mac if I chose to. I COULD have a sundae, fries, whatever I wanted as long as it's within my calorie range... I was starving an hour later though.

6 weeks later.. and I don't crave for any junk food - even on cheat days! :)

Yeah, what they said.

Losing weight takes a calorie deficit, but it technically doesn't matter what foods you are eating. Being healthy, on the other hand, is not necessarily the same as losing weight. My best friend is a prime example. Today she tried to justify this huge Starbucks *thing* to me and eating "Lunchables" because they were both low calorie. She weighs 110 pounds...BUT...I'm the one that doesn't hurt walking across the room, I'm the one with normal cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc...

Just sayin'. :flowerforyou:
  • aahschlee
    Options
    I've been eating these for lunch at work since I'm a college student and I find it easier and less expensive to buy a premade and portioned meal.