Hello from Indianapolis

Options
Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself since I have already posted in the general area of the site.

My name is Kirk, I'm 28 years old. I'm 5'11" and 187lbs. I have Type 1 diabetes (since I was 16) and recently calculated my BMI to find that I had somehow been placed in this 'overweight' category. That freaked me out a bit (even though losing a couple pounds would put me back into 'normal' range). I had a very good metabolism when I was younger. It has slowed down over the years and even though I'm pretty sure I could just stop stuffing my face like I do with junk and get back down to 175lbs or so I have decided that I need a lifestyle change because, let's face it, I ain't getting any younger and it's just reckless to continue on that path.

I signed up to do a 5k in May, which is the first goal I am working towards. I haven't really run since high school and I just started training this week. Boy am I sore. I'm not exactly a stranger to fitness, but my goals int he past were more on strength and mass than aerobics and stamina. For now, that is what I will focus on. I would like to get down to about 170lbs before I start lifting weights with goals to gain mass. I feel that would be a good point to start from.

Overall, I'm just looking (like many of us are) to change my lifestyle. I hope to keep myself motivated as this isn't the first time I've said such a thing only to give up (more give in). I actually signed up for my account here over a year ago IIRC. That right there tells you what I mean :)

Thanks!
Kirk

Replies

• carroll777
    Options
    Hey Kirk,
    Great to hear your story here - lot's of people in the same boat.
    Once you see what the calorie count is for that junk food, you'll probably find it easier to say no.
    A gradual push to more Exercise is a good way to keep you from getting sore - but as long as the soreness doesn't keep you from getting a workout the next day it is okay.
    I play Ultimate, it's a great sport with a cool culture and new players are always welcomed - a runner all my life, it was my first team sport and I found it helps to have that push to get better - plus it is really fun.

Good luck with the lifestyle change, and the five K!
    Cheers,
    Carroll in Malaysia
  • IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    Hello, Kirk, from Indianapolis, northsider here. :) We're glad you're here, you'll find LOTS of support! Please feel free to friend me if you wish...and I've got several folks from Indy on my friends list!
  • megpalmer
    Options
    Hey Kirk!! Megan here from GA. (Originally from Wabash, IN) Good Luck! Great support here!! I get on here when I feel like giving into temptation and before I know it my craving is gone! Love it here!