so this is mainly an american site then?

Options

Replies

• briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Basically all the "developed" countries have obesity problems. Some a little more than others, but they all have it. It is largely because of both the diet and the lifestyle. As we get more sedentary with more and more office jobs, and life gets faster so we think we don't have time to cook our own food, we start to put on weight.

I'm from Canada, but have relatives from Europe, many of whom are quite overweight as well. People in generally seem to be in denial about how fat they are no matter where you are from.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian

So am I, but I live in the UK. (I miss hockey!) Obesity is a problem here as well. It seems people use the 'I'm too busy' excuse to not eat properly, which of course ends up teaching their kids bad dietary habits.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    First time I heard someone say they needed to lose a stone, I thought they meant what it feels like when I ate a whole small pizza.

:laugh: That one had me lost for a minute too!
  • Glos_Bloke
    Options
    Also from the UK here :wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Australian!
  • 247mumof5
    Options
    im from the uk but we all work together cos we all have the sames goal 2 loose weight & b healthy :yawn: :laugh :laugh:
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i can honestly say im not surprised american children have such a high obesity rate. Hell you go to a fast food place in the states ( which im sure a HUGE amount of kids get taken to) their kids meals are the size of an adult meal up in Canada!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am English :o)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    English person here too!!

I was actually really surprised that the American's didn't use Stone's and Pounds they way we do. Since we use both imperial measurements.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I was actually really surprised that the American's didn't use Stone's and Pounds they way we do. Since we use both imperial measurements.

i watch a show thats from the UK and i was soooo lost when he was talking about stones. and still have problems trying to convert without goign on the computer
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    First time I heard someone say they needed to lose a stone, I thought they meant what it feels like when I ate a whole small pizza.

I'm the girl who finally go it 10 minutes later......like......oh I get it! Bahahahahahahaha!
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You know what's so screwed up about the childhood obesity problem. The schools. I'm always the "homeroom mom" in charge of the parties . The school rule is that you can't have any candy or serve any food over 100 calories a serving or with sugar as the first ingredient. This is public school in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure your kid isn't overweight because of the FOUR parties a year in the class. My daughter is 7 and weighs 38 pounds(she's healthy, just small). But because most parents feed their kids crap she can't even have a piece of candy at her Halloween party. Drives me nuts. Americans just can't seem to get the whole moderation thing.

Oh, and the lunches they serve are pretty bad. How's that for irony?
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Im Enlglish

I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK has now overtaken the US with obesity.
  • ahhdebs
    ahhdebs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am English too, Manchester here, and yes I think you are correct about GB taking over the USA in the obesity levels.
    1760949.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Well it's an American site, hosted in America, but the World Wide Web is far from American, and anyone can sign up.

Has to be said though, that it's mainly an English language site, so likely to used by English speaking people.

The nutrition database seems to me to be well stocked in the UK (where I am).

However, if the site is populated by nationals from the counties with greatest obesity, it would full of people from Tonga, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Micronesia, Nauru, etc !
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Of course here in the UK old Imperial measurements are slowing fading away in favour of metric (except miles on the roads!).

Many measurements that Americans call English aren't really English at all - for example pints, gallons, fluid ounces, quarts are different between the US and UK.

I like it though - kind of quaint and old fashioned :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian but I can see the US from here. :happy:
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well it's an American site, hosted in America, but the World Wide Web is far from American, and anyone can sign up.

Has to be said though, that it's mainly an English language site, so likely to used by English speaking people.

The nutrition database seems to me to be well stocked in the UK (where I am).

However, if the site is populated by nationals from the counties with greatest obesity, it would full of people from Tonga, Cook Islands, American Samoa, Micronesia, Nauru, etc !

Welcome weight conscious people from throughout the world!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

i watch a show thats from the UK and i was soooo lost when he was talking about stones. and still have problems trying to convert without goign on the computer

I was lost as well when I first moved here. Our scales can be set to stones/kilograms/pounds, and now it's me using stones and my wife using pounds!