Calorie count vs. Actually doing it right

Options
124»

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well not everyone here is on a path to be healthy. some people are here only to lose weight and look good. which means eating what every they want. its just a difference of opinions and wants. no need to make anyone feel bad for doing so.

Wow...eating one meal of fried junk food a day will make no one lose weight or look bette. Their skin will begin to look like crap due to lack of nutrients and their body will go into starvation mode. They will actually gain weight so please stop making excuses!

For the most part, everyone on hear is super nice and well informes.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I agree with the original poster. I, too, view other's food diaries for motivation and ideas on how to eat better. I only do this with those I have added as friends, so when I see a friend with a journal full of fatty, greasy food at one meal for several days in a row (or, making a habit of it actually), I delete that friend. I am here for support, and in no way do I need it from someone who is looking to lose weight in what I feel is the wrong way.

For those of you that disagree, let me point out that the OP did not "shame" anyone. If you took it that way, that's all on your own will.
  • kristakayklein
    Options
    Although it may not be the healthiest way to do things...it is our not our place to judge. Really to get down to the core of it....EVERYONE on this site is at least taking a step in the right direction by trying to lose weight. It is our job to encourage... everyone has days where they will have crappy food... it's the POSITIVE, encouraging words from people on this site that gets you motivated to do better the next day! Maybe instead of judging those people that annoy you so much... next time just give them a nice compliment on their exercise goals... positive re-inforcement right?
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well not everyone here is on a path to be healthy. some people are here only to lose weight and look good. which means eating what every they want. its just a difference of opinions and wants. no need to make anyone feel bad for doing so.

I wonder if those people realize that they will almost certainly gain the weight back... and then some. And then when they want to lose it all again, it will be more difficult for it to come off. And this is someone speaking from experience ;-)

Not necessarily. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to be realistic. If being thin and healthy meant ALWAYS eating healthy for the rest of my life, then getting to that goal would never happen. Sure I like salads and lean chicken, but there are other foods I like to eat. For example today, I had a healthy breakfast of a banana and yogurt, and my lunch included a banana and a lean cuisine, but I also had a pudding cup. Now I am sure lots of people would disagree with the pudding cup, but I can eat it and still be within my calories and I enjoy it.

Also, I had a can of pepsi with dinner. Yes pop is bad for you, but I love it. If I can eat mostly healthy but still enjoy the things I enjoy AND get skinny, that's awesome and I see nothing wrong with it. I see new people come all the time and say they are eating nothing but fruits and veggies and lean meats and they cannot meet their 1200 calorie goal for the life of them. That's because they're eating all this food that is SO low in calories, they just keep eating and eating and they get full but they just can't reach their calorie goal. This is not realistic and won't last. Sure there is healthy stuff they could eat that's higher in calories, but you get my point. I think that's why most diets fail, they leave no room for enjoyment. People think dieting is all about eating rabbit food, and when they can't stick with it, they quit.
    lol. I don't disagree with the pudding cup. I disagree w/ the lean quisine, all the preservatives. Just sayin. :wink:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to post again, but it really shocks me at how ok so enough of the people are with criticizing other people for their way of eating. I could easily go through food blogs on here and see people killing it on sodium and call them out because they're body's are obviously holding water weight, but that is not beneficial. What is beneficial is being supportive when people are looking for ways to cut their calories down.

Obviously eating pizza everyday for your only meal may not be the right approach for losing weight. The fact is, you actually can lose weight that way, because I don't really care what you say, weightloss is complete calories in, calories out. What may be HEALTHY is a different topic, but good nutrition is a lot harder to achieve than cutting down on calories. Point is, this is a longterm battle that a lot of people can't achieve quickly. If it starts as cutting down calories on whole and then morphs into watching other nutrition goals, what's it matter to you? Why's it offend you so bad?

Moral of the day? People in glass houses shouldn't thrown stones. Any of you with open food diaries, by blasting other people on here (I don't care if you used names or not, you're still targeting people who read this and get self-conscious and either close their food diaries to the public or get off of MFP completely either one of which is detrimental to their weightloss) you're also putting yourselves in positions where people could look at your food diaries and see that you don't always do it right either. None of you are perfect, so don't act like you're a bunch of nutritionalists who know how to do this right - because last I checked we were all on MFP working for similar goals. If you knew how to do it so well already I doubt you'd be here.

Excuse me for coming off more hostile than I intended. But seriously, this website is supposed to be about support not about criticizing people for their food choices. If you want friends on your list that eat similar to you and have similar goals and can provide you ideas, by all means, do that! But if you just want to stand on a soapbox and talk about how how people just counting calories aren't "actually doing it right", you're really not helping anyone.
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I agree with the original poster. I, too, view other's food diaries for motivation and ideas on how to eat better. I only do this with those I have added as friends, so when I see a friend with a journal full of fatty, greasy food at one meal for several days in a row (or, making a habit of it actually), I delete that friend. I am here for support, and in no way do I need it from someone who is looking to lose weight in what I feel is the wrong way.

For those of you that disagree, let me point out that the OP did not "shame" anyone. If you took it that way, that's all on your own will.

You hit the nail on the head for me! I am here for support and I am trying to make real positive life style changes that will stick. Binging on junk food for one meal and then not eating the rest of the day is not healthy, positive or anything I even want to look at. There is no way to sustain that lifestyle and chances are the weight is going to be put right back on.

I also check when people friend me because I just don't want those kind of negative thoughts/feelings impeding on my weight loss journey.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to post again, but it really shocks me at how ok so enough of the people are with criticizing other people for their way of eating. I could easily go through food blogs on here and see people killing it on sodium and call them out because they're body's are obviously holding water weight, but that is not beneficial. What is beneficial is being supportive when people are looking for ways to cut their calories down.

Obviously eating pizza everyday for your only meal may not be the right approach for losing weight. The fact is, you actually can lose weight that way, because I don't really care what you say, weightloss is complete calories in, calories out. What may be HEALTHY is a different topic, but good nutrition is a lot harder to achieve than cutting down on calories. Point is, this is a longterm battle that a lot of people can't achieve quickly. If it starts as cutting down calories on whole and then morphs into watching other nutrition goals, what's it matter to you? Why's it offend you so bad?

Moral of the day? People in glass houses shouldn't thrown stones. Any of you with open food diaries, by blasting other people on here (I don't care if you used names or not, you're still targeting people who read this and get self-conscious and either close their food diaries to the public or get off of MFP completely either one of which is detrimental to their weightloss) you're also putting yourselves in positions where people could look at your food diaries and see that you don't always do it right either. None of you are perfect, so don't act like you're a bunch of nutritionalists who know how to do this right - because last I checked we were all on MFP working for similar goals. If you knew how to do it so well already I doubt you'd be here.

Excuse me for coming off more hostile than I intended. But seriously, this website is supposed to be about support not about criticizing people for their food choices. If you want friends on your list that eat similar to you and have similar goals and can provide you ideas, by all means, do that! But if you just want to stand on a soapbox and talk about how how people just counting calories aren't "actually doing it right", you're really not helping anyone.

Very well said, I completely agree. I think one of the things that bugged me the most about the OP's post was not necessarily her opinion because Lord knows we all have them and mine aren't always popular with everyone.....but she kept saying, I know it's none of my business but.....and then she criticized anyway. That's like being saying, no offense but.....they're essentially saying, I'm about to offend you, but I'm requesting that you don't be offended, lol.

Which is why I suggested in a reply that this topic would be better off in a blog (which she probably does see now) where we are free to rant and rave and people may still react negatively, but then it's a case of if people choose to read HER blog, they need to accept what she wrote. Just like if she chooses to read people's food diary, she needs to accept what they choose to eat.
  • neelia
    Options

You hit the nail on the head for me! I am here for support and I am trying to make real positive life style changes that will stick. Binging on junk food for one meal and then not eating the rest of the day is not healthy, positive or anything I even want to look at. There is no way to sustain that lifestyle and chances are the weight is going to be put right back on.

I also check when people friend me because I just don't want those kind of negative thoughts/feelings impeding on my weight loss journey.

Thank you!
  • neelia
    Options

Very well said, I completely agree. I think one of the things that bugged me the most about the OP's post was not necessarily her opinion because Lord knows we all have them and mine aren't always popular with everyone.....but she kept saying, I know it's none of my business but.....and then she criticized anyway. That's like being saying, no offense but.....they're essentially saying, I'm about to offend you, but I'm requesting that you don't be offended, lol.

Which is why I suggested in a reply that this topic would be better off in a blog (which she probably does see now) where we are free to rant and rave and people may still react negatively, but then it's a case of if people choose to read HER blog, they need to accept what she wrote. Just like if she chooses to read people's food diary, she needs to accept what they choose to eat.

Just like you chose to read and respond to this thread? It wouldn't matter where it was posted- she would get her opinion out either way...and I'm sure she'd receive a ton of negative responses on a blog just as she did here.
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    okay, I know my diet is not perfect at all but I'm trying to eat right and be healthy. And I know it's none of my business but it annoys me when I see people eating the whole days worth in one sitting eating pizza and cheeseburgers and soda then not eating the rest of the day to stay under their count. It's not healthy or motivating. I understand we all slip up now and then but I've been seeing it alot. I don't know.... It's none of my business but when I go to someones food diary I like to get ideas to help me out not see 1200 calories in greasy deep fried food.

Okay. I'm done. On the other hand almost everyone here is super nice, trying to make the healthy change and very supportive so thanks my new friends :)

Absolutely agree !!!
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    okay, I know my diet is not perfect at all but I'm trying to eat right and be healthy. And I know it's none of my business but it annoys me when I see people eating the whole days worth in one sitting eating pizza and cheeseburgers and soda then not eating the rest of the day to stay under their count. It's not healthy or motivating. I understand we all slip up now and then but I've been seeing it alot. I don't know.... It's none of my business but when I go to someones food diary I like to get ideas to help me out not see 1200 calories in greasy deep fried food.

Okay. I'm done. On the other hand almost everyone here is super nice, trying to make the healthy change and very supportive so thanks my new friends :)
    Agreed !!

Absolutely agree !!!
  • neelia
    Options

I wonder if those people realize that they will almost certainly gain the weight back... and then some. And then when they want to lose it all again, it will be more difficult for it to come off. And this is someone speaking from experience ;-)

Not necessarily. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to be realistic. If being thin and healthy meant ALWAYS eating healthy for the rest of my life, then getting to that goal would never happen. Sure I like salads and lean chicken, but there are other foods I like to eat. For example today, I had a healthy breakfast of a banana and yogurt, and my lunch included a banana and a lean cuisine, but I also had a pudding cup. Now I am sure lots of people would disagree with the pudding cup, but I can eat it and still be within my calories and I enjoy it.

Also, I had a can of pepsi with dinner. Yes pop is bad for you, but I love it. If I can eat mostly healthy but still enjoy the things I enjoy AND get skinny, that's awesome and I see nothing wrong with it. I see new people come all the time and say they are eating nothing but fruits and veggies and lean meats and they cannot meet their 1200 calorie goal for the life of them. That's because they're eating all this food that is SO low in calories, they just keep eating and eating and they get full but they just can't reach their calorie goal. This is not realistic and won't last. Sure there is healthy stuff they could eat that's higher in calories, but you get my point. I think that's why most diets fail, they leave no room for enjoyment. People think dieting is all about eating rabbit food, and when they can't stick with it, they quit.
    lol. I don't disagree with the pudding cup. I disagree w/ the lean quisine, all the preservatives. Just sayin. :wink:

The key to losing weight is realizing this is a lifestyle change. If you have the mindset that you are never going to be able to eat pizza or cheeseburgers ever again, you are setting yourself up for failure.

As for the pudding, <3<3<3<3<3!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider is that changes stick better for some people if they make small ones over a long time, than if they make BIG changes all at once. So somebody who, when he/she began, was eating 5000 calories per day of pizza and beer may actually have improved his/her diet a lot if he/she is now eating Froot Loops for breakfast, pizza for supper, and cutting back on the beer. Maybe this person's eating habits HAVE changed for the better, they're just not to "healthy, yay!" yet.

I'd take the same attitude toward it that I take when I see someone who is hugely overweight. Instead of thinking, wow, there is somebody who needs to get his/her life together or die young! I tell myself "You know, I bet he/she just lost ten pounds!" It casts the person in a different light in my mind and I deal with him/her more sympathetically. It's how I wish folks would see me, you know -- not that I'm still 30 pounds overweight, but that I JUST LOST TEN POUNDS YAY AND BOY WAS THAT A LOT OF WORK! If somebody's diet looks bad to you, maybe the thing to do is assume that it's better than they were eating this time a year ago, even if it's just that they're eating fewer calories.

We're all on the same road. Some of us are just further along than others.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I do enjoy looking in diaries myself, but I don't post about it all over the forms about peoples food conquests and how they are going to fail because they are doing something wrong. That's not being supportive, that's being judgmental, no offense. I don't always eat super heathy, but the way I am eating now, is way better then before I joined this website and I am losing weight! Oh my god! Imagine that! Someone who doesn't eat five meals of salad is losing weight! And eating hot dogs to boot! In fact, it's helping me realize that I CAN eat the foods I use to eat, just instead of eating a whole pizza, I can have two slices. If I took everything I use to eat, out of my diet, I'd be one unhappy dieter and most likely quit. Losing weight is not all about completely changing your life so you aren't eating anything but rabbit food, it's about portion size and control. Sure, I cut out the midnight bags of Cheetos and I don't join in on my parents popcorn and ice cream parties, but I do allow myself to have fun, just not 3,000 calories worth of it.
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying and I too agree with you in the sense of if you want to loose weight and do it the healthy way, its not by pizza and soda.....most likely these people will not develope healthy eating habbits, so once they get to the "weight goal" they are trying to achieve, they wont stay there long because they are still eating the same way, just in less portions.

but yes to each his/her own. in my personal opinion i have noticed me eating those things i would just teeter-totter on the scale so in reality it wasnt worth it for me. but in others i see them eat white rice, diet soda, ice cream, etc and still loose. but if they are just trying to loose and doing it in the right portions, they most likely will get there.....any change to their "previous" eating habbits even if it isnt the "healthiest" in "our" opinion, they are doing what is best for them, and they will still have some sort of results.

I do see people getting offended on this "opinion" of yours, jus as their responses are their "opinions" also so this isnt fact or fiction....just opinions. we are all trying to get results. i have learned (now on my weight loss journey of 14 months) that weight isnt as important as look and preference.....i dont want to be skinny, i wasnt to be fit and RIPPED!! lol. some people just want to get to their weight, not lift a weight and just do cardio and they can get to their goal of just cardio and eating "ok" food and thats ok with them. i want o get lean, fit, and sexy ripped, those results requrie lifting weights, CLEAN and LEAN foods, and a balance of cardio and weight training. other people, esp women can stand the fact of lifting weights....again to each their own. I've learned what i want, and i wll do whatever it takes to get there, but from experience having pizza and all the "junk" will not get me there. not that i dont eat it, because i do, but i am way more sacrificing and determined than some so its just a "treat" for me. i'll have to adjust to my oatmeal with flaxseed, carrots and hummus, protein shakes, almond butter, and chicken chicken chicken....hahaha, not something i used to do, but i am focused and TRAINING my body and my tastebuds to get in line with my mind and focus and they WILL SUBMIT TO WHAT I TELL IT TO DO, LOL.....is a choice.

just stand on your own focus and determination of goals and dont worry about anybody else's ways of getting there.....its not that important.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Wow...eating one meal of fried junk food a day will make no one lose weight or look bette. Their skin will begin to look like crap due to lack of nutrients and their body will go into starvation mode. They will actually gain weight so please stop making excuses!

For the most part, everyone on hear is super nice and well informes.

did I say I did this? No. but some do and its their own buisness. I did a 2 week fast and did not look like crap. felt great.