The Zumba Crew - February

Options

Replies

• Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I decided to do Zumba for the whole month of February and no other exercise to see how much I lose. I'm not weighing myself till March 1st so I can't wait to see the results!

You know people kept asking me if its better than walking but because I mix up the two I am never sure.
    So this sounds like a great idea.....maybe I'll try this starting today (was sick so I havent done any workouts in a week)
    How many day a week do you ZUmba? DO you follow theirs plans are do you do your own?
  • blueeyedlyn
    Options
    Hi I'm Lyndi. I'm 31 I have been doing Zumba for about 3 weeks. I love it!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    :grumble: There was no Reggaeton either. That ones my favourite. Some salsa, a lot of hip hop. Even more standing around waiting.

I'll try to find another place to take it. I just looked up the schedule over the next week, and she's the only instructor for every class. Luckily I didn't commit to the place until I tried Zumba (the main reason for looking to sign up there!) At $20 a lesson (or $1300 if you sign up for a year, I want to make bloody sure that I have a great time there!

Thanks for all your help everyone -- I think I was afraid to hear that my experience was normal. Does everyone has as much stretching in their class? We did a LOT of "stretch one leg back and balance on it for a minute and then switch legs" type moves. They did call it Zumba, not Zum-yoga! :laugh:
  • BFab24
    BFab24 Posts: 66
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!!

I detest tomatoes.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You know at the gym where I do Zumba classes there are teachers I love and others, well, if I see they are teaching I sometimes choose to do something else instead. Sorry to say but the teachers and song choices do determine how much I enjoy the class and how hard I work. I actually prefer a lot of hip hop myself but to each her own. I don't, however, like it when they take too much time between songs. I am there to burn calories and some days it's the only hour I get to do cardio. I need to make it count!
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here, and I just got home from Zumba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate honey, marmite and olives. I just got fat eating everything else lol.

Nice to meet you zumbaholics :)

Izzy xx
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My name is Lana, I hate peas, mushrooms and lima beans. Zumba is awesome!

I stopped doing Zumba to try "30 Day Shred" because I read so many good things about it on MFP. I had to stop and go back to Zumba after only 15 days. There is no comparison! :smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I decided to do Zumba for the whole month of February and no other exercise to see how much I lose. I'm not weighing myself till March 1st so I can't wait to see the results!

You know people kept asking me if its better than walking but because I mix up the two I am never sure.
    So this sounds like a great idea.....maybe I'll try this starting today (was sick so I havent done any workouts in a week)
    How many day a week do you ZUmba? DO you follow theirs plans are do you do your own?

I actually have it on the Xbox Kinect. I'm doing it everyday except Sunday (my day of rest). Hopefully my dvds will be here soon.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hopefully my dvds will be here soon.

Would you mind listing the dvds you ordered? I have no idea what I'm looking for but I'd like to try this.
  • emilillymom
    Options
    I am Wendi. Mother of two little girls and love zumba. I took my first class this fall through the community college here. I am restarting it at the end of march when the weather is a little warmer and don't have to worry about classes being canceled due to snow.
  • garden_girl18
    garden_girl18 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I :heart: ZUMBA! I go once or twice a week, depending on my schedule. Sometimes its 2 Zumba classes, sometimes is 1 Zumba 1 Kickboxing. Either way, I LOVE IT!

As for food, I will NOT eat yellow beans, liver, oysters and pumpkin.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Shauna and I am super excited to try out Zumba tonight....the instructor looks so inspiring!!! I'll have to let you know how it goes, just waiting for my DH to get home and I'll be on my way out the door!

As for food I detest, mushrooms, olives, and most seafood.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    OK, that was AMAZING!!!!!!!!! One class in and I am hooked...my instructor is like a Latin Jillian Michaels!!! Count me in Zumba crew, I love Love LOVE it!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Hopefully my dvds will be here soon.

Would you mind listing the dvds you ordered? I have no idea what I'm looking for but I'd like to try this.

Zumba Fitness. Its a info-mercial. I found someone on craigslist that is selling the new set for $40.
  • Phat_Girl
    Phat_Girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I would love to be a member of the zumba Crew. I need to get the video ASAP!! Sounds like fun!!!!

I hate veggies......Yes!!!!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I did my first live Zumba class yesterday and I wasn't very happy with it. I don't think that Rude Boy is a suitable Zumba song, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure the instructor had a lot to do with it, but I enjoy it much more on the game at home. I receive some kind of feedback (no feedback in class) and I think I just feel more free to really shake it when I'm alone and not surrounded by mirrors!

I think it's like when someone reads the book before it comes out as a movie -- no one ever says the movie was better! Maybe if I did the classes first, I'd enjoy them more. Glad I didn't commit to the fees (had a free week pass).

The beat of Rude Boy is a suitable song, but perhaps the words aren't. If you are offended by them then speak to the instructor. She or he can remove that song the next time.

No sorry, I'm not offended by the lyrics. They have a seperate Hip Hop class, and the moves she was doing for Zumba were clearly lifted from the Hip Hop class. Personally I think that they're two different styles of dancing, and if that's wrong, then that's just my opinion. Standing for two minutes doing pelvic thrusts wasn't really what I thought I had signed up for. I could do that standing in the bathroom at work. I signed up for Zumba because I wanted to dance and sweat and burn calories.

Unfortunately hip hop steals a lot of their moves from other styles. So what you might consider to be hip hop can be a number of different styles. I've seen alot of them in Zumba, Bollywood, African....the list goes on.

You are not wrong to have your opinion but pelvic thrust are excellent for your abs if you are tightened them at the time.

I guess she didn't mix it up enough. Maybe she is a new instructor with limit knowledge on the dance style.
    That was my experience exactly....I Zumba 3 - 5 times a week for 2 years now and heard some really great things about a particular instructor, so I made her class this morning....THOROUGHLY disappointed. Not even close to Zumba, but boy do they love her that session was packed. Very little Latin moves.

I grew up with this stuff, so I have pretty high expectations. Sure wish they had to include a certain percentage authentic. I'll never quit going....but I'll probably get a little more picky about which ones I frequent.

If only I were 20 years younger!! :devil: :laugh:
  • my8kidsmom
    my8kidsmom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I actually have it on the Xbox Kinect. I'm doing it everyday except Sunday (my day of rest). Hopefully my dvds will be here soon.

I am thinking about getting it for Kinect. Have you had any trouble with it?
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    Howdy, Im Danielle and I have been doing only zumba now for 2 months and its rocking my socks off!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

I am thinking about getting it for Kinect. Have you had any trouble with it?

Nope no problems at all. You just have to get use to the menu but after like my 3rd time doing it I had no problems.
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did my first live Zumba class yesterday and I wasn't very happy with it. I don't think that Rude Boy is a suitable Zumba song, but maybe that's just me. I'm sure the instructor had a lot to do with it, but I enjoy it much more on the game at home. I receive some kind of feedback (no feedback in class) and I think I just feel more free to really shake it when I'm alone and not surrounded by mirrors!

I think it's like when someone reads the book before it comes out as a movie -- no one ever says the movie was better! Maybe if I did the classes first, I'd enjoy them more. Glad I didn't commit to the fees (had a free week pass).

The beat of Rude Boy is a suitable song, but perhaps the words aren't. If you are offended by them then speak to the instructor. She or he can remove that song the next time.

No sorry, I'm not offended by the lyrics. They have a seperate Hip Hop class, and the moves she was doing for Zumba were clearly lifted from the Hip Hop class. Personally I think that they're two different styles of dancing, and if that's wrong, then that's just my opinion. Standing for two minutes doing pelvic thrusts wasn't really what I thought I had signed up for. I could do that standing in the bathroom at work. I signed up for Zumba because I wanted to dance and sweat and burn calories.

Unfortunately hip hop steals a lot of their moves from other styles. So what you might consider to be hip hop can be a number of different styles. I've seen alot of them in Zumba, Bollywood, African....the list goes on.

You are not wrong to have your opinion but pelvic thrust are excellent for your abs if you are tightened them at the time.

I guess she didn't mix it up enough. Maybe she is a new instructor with limit knowledge on the dance style.
    That was my experience exactly....I Zumba 3 - 5 times a week for 2 years now and heard some really great things about a particular instructor, so I made her class this morning....THOROUGHLY disappointed. Not even close to Zumba, but boy do they love her that session was packed. Very little Latin moves.

I grew up with this stuff, so I have pretty high expectations. Sure wish they had to include a certain percentage authentic. I'll never quit going....but I'll probably get a little more picky about which ones I frequent.

If only I were 20 years younger!! :devil: :laugh:

The Zumba class I go to is taught by 2 professional latin dancers, so the dance content is obviously really high, but each class costs £7. So when my gym started a Zumba class which would be included in my membership, I thought 'brilliant' I can save some cash by going to that class once a week instead. OMG! It was the worst class I've ever experienced. The instructor either couldn't remember her own choreography, or she was making it up on the spot as there was no consistency in the moves, then she couldn't keep up with it and kept stopping to catch her breath. She didn't break down the moves to make them easier to pick up. And she kept going back to her iPod between songs to find the next track instead of just preparing a playlist. After trying her class I'm now happily paying for my Zumba classes because the instructors know what they're doing, there's a brilliant, fun, encouraging, supportive atmosphere and I really love doing it!