Hypothyroid? Me too.

Options
Hi,
I have Hashimoto's hypothyroiditis. It is an autoimmune disease in which the body's defenses attack the thyroid gland and inhibit its function. This is important because the thyroid regulates so many bodily processes including:
Metabolism
Fertility
Mental function
Hair and skin quality
Energy level
Hearing loss
These are just a few of the processes regulated by the thyroid. I saw my endocrinologist on Friday and she increased my dose of synthetic thyroid hormone. In the past year, my dose has been almost doubled as my body continues to attack my thyroid gland. It is so hard to lose weight when you can barely get out of bed in the morning!

I urge you to seek the care of an endocrinologist if you suffer hypothyroidism. For many years, I was not receiving the correct dose of replacement hormone because my family doctor did not have the right knowledge to interpret the test results. If you have a situation like mine, testing TSH levels once a year is not enough! Hope this helps.
Be well!

Replies

• bhollye
    bhollye Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i think my adult child has those symptoms, but she had her T3T4 levels tested and they came back within appropriate levels. Are there any other ways to est?
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am too! I am tested at my 1 yr check for OB and if we change meds I get rechecked in 3 mths..if its OK I go till my 1 yr..If its not we adjust the med and recheck in 3 mths.
    I am going to ask about Armor or Armour the next time I go. Right now I take the generic synthroid
  • orting514
    Options
    Ive had a low thyroid since i was 14, been taking Thyroid meds since then, and it does contribute to weight loss.
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Everyone is different but here is an example that shows that "normal" levels are not "normal" for every person. I feel best when my TSH is maintained at 1 mU/L. According to a medical website, normal levels for adults are between 0.4-4.5 mU/L. Some labs report a TSH of 5 as "normal." When my TSH hits 5, I am a zombie, walking slow, talking slow, barely able to get out of bed. That's why I think you need to get an endocrinologist to read your report because my doctor told me I was normal for years. It wasn't until pregnancy (had a terrible time getting pregnant) that my TSH shot up to 75 and my hair was falling out and I thought I was going to die.