working out while sore

Should I continue to do aerobic exercise when sore from weights? I work out lower body Wednesday with a trainer and some days I'm SORE from walking lunges. I do aerobic exercise (run, elliptical, stairmaster) 6 days a week...and I LOVE it (not so much the weight training), My question is should I not exercise as hard if legs are sore or should I just push through and have the no pain, no gain mentality? I can do it but am sore to the point that I'm sore walking - but it doesn't stop me exercising.

My trainer thinks I need to up my carbs some to help muscle recover...I'm not a fan of that idea because bread is a slippery slope for me.

Replies

• Should I continue to do aerobic exercise when sore from weights? I work out lower body Wednesday with a trainer and some days I'm SORE from walking lunges. I do aerobic exercise (run, elliptical, stairmaster) 6 days a week...and I LOVE it (not so much the weight training), My question is should I not exercise as hard if legs are sore or should I just push through and have the no pain, no gain mentality? I can do it but am sore to the point that I'm sore walking - but it doesn't stop me exercising.

My trainer thinks I need to up my carbs some to help muscle recover...I'm not a fan of that idea because bread is a slippery slope for me.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    You definitely can work out when you are sore, as long as it is not the same workout. What helps with the soreness is having a snack after working out, which should be 4:1 ratio carbs to protein. There are many recovery drinks on the market, accelerade is one, enduroxR4 is another. I have also heard that chocolate milk is a good one to have as well. HTH!

Carol
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    its actually good to do some aerobic activity if you're sore from lifting weights. that activity (like walking or elliptical, bike riding..etc) can actually release the lactic acid build up in your muscles (the reason you are sore), and will losen them up and make you feel tons better!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Stretching after your workout will really help reduce soreness too.
  • You can DEFINITELY do aerobics when you are sore. if you are doing strength, make sure yo ugive your body a day or two to recover...

Summer

weight.png
  • haha working out while sore is good for you i think? lol
    my husband and i work out at leats 2 hours a day
    we run in the mornings and go to the gym while the kids are at school.
    hes a firefighter and in great shape haha i gotta keep up!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    its actually good to do some aerobic activity if you're sore from lifting weights. that activity (like walking or elliptical, bike riding..etc) can actually release the lactic acid build up in your muscles (the reason you are sore), and will losen them up and make you feel tons better!

Ditto - cardio on the rest day will help ease the soreness from lactic acid build up!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Also, there are lots of carbs you can add that aren't bread.

Brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, fruit and veg, whole grains, heck even popcorn.

I stay off the refined food train (it becomes a binge almost instantly). I find when I don't have enough carbs I get moody, my workouts suck and I become starving (think bottomless pit that cannot be filled).

Oh, and yes a light cardio workout when you're sore really helps.:flowerforyou:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    I have also heard that taking a cool shower after a workout helps relieve your body of the lactic acid that leads to soreness. As I'm sure most people shower after they get all sweaty but maybe cooling it down a bit will help or not waiting as long to hop into the shower.