HATE TO EXERCISE

Options
ANY SUGGESTIONS??? mOTIVATION???

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. However, walking has always been a great option for me :) It's simple and whether you use a treadmill in front of a TV or head out into nature, you will always be entertained.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It starts with oneself...find an workout program you like...do some research on it.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I know this sounds impossible, but you may grow to love it. I absolutely hated exercise and avoided it all all costs.

One day I got an aerobics/dance dvd set (I do enjoy dancing) and just made myself do it. I had no stamina at first, and was puffing and panting. I could not even finish the 20 minute segment. But after just a couple of weeks I could do the whole session, and I felt GOOD after. Now I actually look forward to it!

The key is finding something you like, but it's all going to be hard at first. Even when you don't see any weight loss, though, you will see improved stamina and that is a great feeling.

It's all just a matter of getting started. The first steps are the hardest but it's totally worth it!
  • DianaK78
    Options
    If you like dancing...try Zumba! it's a lot of fun :smile:
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    exercise needn't be a chore at the gym either - go for a walk after dinner, dance around your living room or... rush around all day long after a pair of toddlers (you could borrow mine!)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I hated it too. Until I started making myself do it. After a couple of weeks I felt so much better, had loads of energy ect and I found that I'd be sitting in work planning my exercise session for that night. I went from hating it with a passion to looking forward it! Now if I can't do it for some rerason I really miss it! I found a dvd that I liked,could do at home, and only took 20 mins so I didn't feel like I was giving up too much of my day. I still love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred!
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    the good thing about exercising is that you get to eat more food!! I eat my exercise calories, and it keeps me full, otherwise on the days when I don't get to exercise, I'm starving!
  • reenna96
    reenna96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue myself. I even bought WII Fit b/c ppl told me it was 'fun' excercise. Well, that did not work and it was basically a waste of a hundred bucks! So, I thought that perhaps I'd try to take a dance class because I like to dance. Now, I just have to find the time to do it :( Hopefully, this idea will work for me. I suggest that you try to find an activity that you like to do naturally and make it your exercise. Every bit counts. It may simply be window shopping at the mall or taking the stairs instead of an elevator at work every day. It may seem little but it is still considered to be excercise! Just keep track of what you do so you can make a note of it here, and whatever you do don't give up! Take it one step at a time. Start off small and work your way towards bigger goals so you won't get discouraged. If one thing does not work try something else. Good luck!
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    Options
    I hate excercise to... but I have found that I can walk on the treadmill for about a half an hour at a 4mph pace and still get the results I want. All while watching my favorite movies or tv shows. I try to never let myself sit in front of the tv. If I want to watch something I walk... I can not say that I love it but its better than some things I have tried! :)
  • pink_kitty
    Options
    If you really hate it buy a Wii fit or Just Dance. You can workout in the privacy of your own home and they actually work. I got a really good one called Your Shape which tailors a programme for u. It comes with a camera and scans your body and tells you which areas to focus on and gives u a workout based on that. And you can timetable workouts to fit around u :o)

Walking is good and not intense as is just day to day stuff like leave your car at home when taking small trips small things make a difference i think :o)

Good Luck

x x x
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about joining a martial art like Tai Chi or Tai Kwon Do? I know from personal experience that Tai Chi is both relaxing and a good workout. You use muscles that one normaly doesn't in a way that is not stressful and the overall result is more strength and better posture. The better posture leads to a reduction in back, knee and foot pain.
    Another benifit is that the classes are not usually filled with people who look like they walked out of sports adds so it is a bit more comfortable if your not in greatest shape.

Good luck
    Brenda
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    all the suggestions above are great (find something you love, just start moving, etc.) but I agree the most that exercise is its own reward - they say it takes 3 weeks of consistent effort (in anything - not just weight loss) for a habit to form. I am at the stage that I love to go to the gym - I love the rush of knowing I just completed 60 minutes of cardio intervals, the adrenaline boost of knowing how strong I am getting - it is one place where I get to see 'results' when the scale and the measurements don't show anything. From being able to add more weight when weight training to increasing my resistance on the elliptical. I know its a pain to drag oneself to exercise, but as someone said above - if you just force yourself to do it, it gets better.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise too, but after a cardiac catheterization last week and a week in the horrible hospital, it's exercise or DIE. That's a powerful motivator, let me tell you.

I have started out using wii fit, walking and an elliptical to get myself moving. The only way I allow myself to watch TV now is if I am moving while doing it.

You CAN do this. Consider the alternatives to NOT moving...
  • cheezema
    Options
    LOL! I have my own 4 1/2 year old daughter. We got guardianship of our granddaughter and later adopted her. So I have the age of being 57 going against me.
  • cheezema
    Options
    All good suggestions. Thanks so much. We do have a Wii. I guess I get it dusted off and start there and start walking the neighborhood.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i've always hated going to the gym, and even when i joined a gym and went every day for months, i still didn't like it. lots of people say that after a little while, you'll learn to like it...but not me. i even got an elliptical machine for my basement, but i can't stand that either. i never got that "good feeling" about working out or "felt bad" if i skipped a day.

i got Wii fit plus and dance dance revolution. all the Wii sports and the biggest loser came with it, too. It's awesome, and although it may not be as intense and using an elliptical for 90 minutes, i still burn a bunch of calories without realizing that I'm "exercising".
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. Tried Wii fit and it just was not good enough. I bought the Wii active 2 and have been doing it since I do 4 workouts a week (only 1 time was I able to do 100%) It has a 3 week beginners, Which I just finished. It is different each day so not boring, You get a heart rate monitor with it and it shows on screen your heart rate through exercise and at ends gives you calories burned. The thing with this that is good for me is the variety daily.
  • yarviets
    Options
    Start with little things like parking further away from the store you are going to, or taking the stairs. I think it will help if it seems to be purposeful.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    treadmill while watching the biggest loser or heavy or x-weighted is always a good motivator for me, and enjoyable.

20 minute workout in the morning with jillian michaels 30 day shred dvd because at least it's short - if i get it done in the morning then i am done with exercising for the whole day. there's nothing worse than getting off work and realizing you STILL have to exercise!

sex - always good cardio if you can gt your heart rate up and keep it there for 20 minutes - lol

also, just got Luscious Bellydance Workout dvd and am pumped to try it! I may get some moves to work on the dance floor out of this workout!

and finally, good luck. it's tough. but, i think you know too, it's worth it. since jan 10 i've lost 11 pounds with my 20 minutes in the morning and a little more activity in the evening (walks to the park with the kids, take them to the pool, etc), along with my Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. the thing holdin me back was always the not cooking dinner.

Progress can happen but try a bunch of stuff- I tried p90x and spin classes and jogging. . .. ya gotta experiment.

we can do this!!!!!
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lots of people hate it to start with. You have to make yourself do it and soon enough it will be part of your life and you'll start to like it.
    If someone had said to me 3 years ago that I'd be a runner I wouldn't have ever believed it.