How Can I Make My Cardio More Enjoyable?

Options
My biggest struggle at the gym by far has to be cardio! I'm just starting out again but even when I was in shape years ago my least favorite activity is by far cardio. I absolutely love weight lifting but getting myself do do daily cardio is like pulling teeth! Any advice for making cardio a more enjoyable experience? I'm going to bring headphones today so I can plug it into the treadmill & listen to what is on the tv but any other advice would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Music makes it for me; some fast beats, fun tunes, and yes sometimes even a little bit of angry like "break stuff" when I am stressed. Good luck :wink:
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Fast paced and upbeat music works for me.......If you have an IPOD or MP3 player use those to your advantage. Music just makes ya want to get up and move or it does me anyway.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been doing all my workouts at home! You should look at Zumba, because it is very fun! You don't really feel like oh when is this over! I get the same way on the treadmill....can't stop looking at the time and distance, but if I were to be walking outside I can walk forever!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am with you. The only thing I can say is watch tv or listen to music while you do it. I also like to try to mix mine up with a wii shadow boxing game called Gold's Gym Cardio Workout.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I have to add I do all my workouts at home so far and I use my Wii for my cardio love the Just Dance 2 and the MY Shape by Jenny McCarthy workout game.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do better if I'm outside and don't have a clock/pedometer in front of my face. It's easier to let my mind wander! I also like to try to take different routes to mix it up and keep it interesting. And of course, a rocking playlist helps a ton!
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been doing all my workouts at home! You should look at Zumba, because it is very fun! You don't really feel like oh when is this over! I get the same way on the treadmill....can't stop looking at the time and distance, but if I were to be walking outside I can walk forever!

Thanks guys! I have a few friends that want me to try Zumba with them but I'm just having a hard time getting to the classes in the evenings because I take evening classes! So, I work out for free at the military gym on our local base (my husband is in the USAF) so I try to take advantage of the gym because here in IL there's about 12+ inches of snow on the ground! This summer I plan on running a lot outside, just need to find a jogging stroller! :)

I will bring my phone with me (its my mp3 player too) and see if that helps! :)
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    I have to add I do all my workouts at home so far and I use my Wii for my cardio love the Just Dance 2 and the MY Shape by Jenny McCarthy workout game.

I am absolutely getting a Wii with our tax refund! I've heard great things about the Wii fit and Just Dance 2. I didn't know Jenny McCarthy had a workout game!? That is so cool because I love her!
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I love Yoga too so I've been DVR-ing the namaste yoga on Fit tv so I can do Yoga when my daughter is taking her naps!
  • Tequilalyles
    Options
    Find a partner to do it with...its always fun and a little easier when u have someone with u!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    you should really try Zumba. You really don't feel like your exercising because it is so much fun! It really can be a great workout =)
    I'd also suggest some good music or plug into tv's during your favorite shows :smile:
  • gmLady
    Options
    If you have a gym membership take different classes, Ive gotten hooked on circuit boxing. Also, read this month's women's fitness article "run less, lose more." it says women who do cardio everyday for months will not lose much weight because your body learns how to be efficient and burn less calories. The trick is mix it up with different activities so your body finds it more difficult to shift into efficiency mode, and if you are on the treadmill or any card machine do 20 min three to five times a week INTERVAL training, ex, run hard 15 sec, recover by jogging or walking 60 sec, repeat for 20 min. Good luck and don't give up!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Me on my own on a machine would be like pulling teeth too... with the exception of rowing whcih I quite like. I can't stand treadmills and prefer to run outside, it's much more fun.

How about trying a spin clas or circuits for a bit of variety??
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Thank you to all who have responded. I do workout with my husband so that does help to motivate me and they do offer some different classes there. I will look into it and some other machines. I've done the treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc. I will see what else they offer :)
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love my own music when I'm on the treadmill. I find it helps motivate me, gets me in a good mood, and helps me tune out distractions.
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Downloading some songs now...any suggestions?
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at home on my Xbox 360 Kinect. I'm sure it's just as good on the WII. I've never been out in a real class! LOL
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    If you have a gym membership take different classes, Ive gotten hooked on circuit boxing. Also, read this month's women's fitness article "run less, lose more." it says women who do cardio everyday for months will not lose much weight because your body learns how to be efficient and burn less calories. The trick is mix it up with different activities so your body finds it more difficult to shift into efficiency mode, and if you are on the treadmill or any card machine do 20 min three to five times a week INTERVAL training, ex, run hard 15 sec, recover by jogging or walking 60 sec, repeat for 20 min. Good luck and don't give up!

Very good to know!!!

I started the C25k this past week and I'm addicted. I love love cardio, I get into the zone easily and I can set up cardio and be completely entertained so I'll watch out for that issue.

I'm going to have difficulty incorporating strength work and other things other than running/walking because I can easily entertain myself when on the treadmill. I'm setting my treadmill up so I can watch movies (LOL) from my Netflix...I could jog/walk throughout an entire movie!

Currently on my treadmill when I do my walking intervals I'm zooming up the font size on my Kindle or iPhone e book apps and reading lol while listening to music. I must be multitasking/entertained or I get so bored I don't want to do it.
  • carrie340
    Options
    I always have my ipod on when I'm on my treadmill, I don't think I could do it other wise! Lots of upbeat music is the way to go! :happy:
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Downloading some songs now...any suggestions?

Chili Peppers always get me going, Salt n Pepa, Will Smith, Blink 182, C&C Music Factory (am i dating myself...LOL), Right said fred, Limp Bizkit, AC/DC, I have about 4 play lists, one to suit the majority of my moods ;)

Anything that gets you moving......:laugh: