Does it matter if I'm doing 12 min miles?

Options
I'm only 5'0" so I have short legs and can't cover as much distance as most people. LMAO! That's my excuse! :laugh:

So shouldn't I just be happy with running 11-12 min miles? I'm so jealous of other people running 6 min miles. I just want someone to saw "awwww it's ok" :happy:

I'm training for a half marathon so I figure the distance is more significant than the speed. Oh well.

Replies

• aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    I am 5'11" and usually run at 12 minute miles! :P
    It's absolutely fine if you're only doing it for the cardio exercise & training and not for competitive purposes! Don't worry! :D
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'll second the short legs excuse :p
    I'd say 11-12 mins is fine, especially if you're doing longer distances as you need to pace yourself.
    Good luck with your training!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    12 min miles is fine! Keep running and you may find that you slowly get faster too. One thing that helped me get faster was spinning/cycling class. But even if you don't get faster, be proud of those 12 min miles and keep moving! :) You're doing great!
  • aimstein
    Options
    lol!! I've often wondered the same thing. I'm 5'3 and I can't get past 8 1/2 - 9 minute miles.....and I feel like I'm running really fast. I'll be interested in knowing the answer. Good luck on your marathon!!!
  • aimstein
    Options
    Btw, I agree with everyone. Nothing wrong with 11-12 minute miles....nothing at all. At least you are running and enjoying yourself....definitely something to be grateful for! "Do your best and forget the rest"~Tony Horton
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have thought the same thing!! I figure the important part is that I'm getting exercise not how fast I'm going.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11'' and I wish I was doing 12 min miles!!! but I tell myself that I run faster then when I was sitting on the couch eating natchos!!!
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    12 min miles is fine! Keep running and you may find that you slowly get faster too. One thing that helped me get faster was spinning/cycling class. But even if you don't get faster, be proud of those 12 min miles and keep moving! :) You're doing great!

Thanks everyone!! I did just start training....4 miler today. So hopefully I will just get a little faster naturally.

As far as spinning...I love it!! It does build your butt and hams which helps when jogging and it kicks my butt when sprinting.
  • jpmajors
    Options
    If you want to get faster, The secret is wheres your heart at? It is all about your target heart rate amd zone exercise. Exercising your heart is somewhat like exercising any muscle in your body, as I work a muscle at a certain weight eventually as I gain strength that weight will become ineffective to tax my muscle. It is the same with the heart. If a 12 minute mile is currently keeping you in the zone it is enough but eventually you will need to bump it up.

If you want to finis the race just go for the distance !! 12 minute miles are more than acceptable.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere and 12 m/m is a good place to start!! :flowerforyou:

You'll naturally get faster as your endurance builds and your body can go harder for less effort.

It depends what your goals are. Some people like shorter distances and want to get significantly faster. Likewise I have friends who aren't greased lighning fast but like running marathons and ultras. The choice is yours. :smile:
  • It's awesome that you're running miles, period! I'm not an expert but I've gotten faster the last few weeks by alternating distance with speed every day. Every other day I try to run farther than before, and the alternating day I just run one mile as fast as I can. I started at about 12 minutes, and now I'm down to 8! It's been about a month. Good luck with your training!

PS I'm 5'1, go shorties!
  • antipholous
    Options
    You'll get faster as you lose weight, and as you work harder. Remember, there is only a negligent difference between someone running a mile in 4 minutes and someone walking a mile in 18 minutes when it comes to burning calories. Sure you're getting a better cardio workout, but you burn calories by your distance, not your speed.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Girl! I am 5' 1 1/2 " and I am proud of my 11:15- 12 minute miles....why? well because 125 lbs ago, I couldn't fathom EVER being able to finish a mile in under 20 minutes. I never thought I'd be jogging or running or signing up for a half marathon.

5.0 & 5.1 are my comfortable paces on the treadmill, a nice steady JOG. I do intervals and I increase my time every 1-3 minutes. I can do 5.5 for 5 minutes on a good day (saw it a few seasons ago on the Biggest loser and figured if they can do it, so can I). I'll add "sprints" of 6.0 & 6.1 (even 6.5 every now and then) for like a minute, maybe 2.

You work up to it. Some people are fast runners, some not so fast.

You know your body and your limits. You know if and when you can push yourself.

So, yeah, it's okay ;-)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hey at least your running. I started running about 9 years ago and I was running 12 minute miles, and even after 9 years I cant get any faster than 9 min miles. Just keep at it and enjoy it!!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lol I am 5ft8 and I run an average of a 11 minute mile so be proud of the fact that you can go that far running, If you want to speed the running rate try interval training it will confuse the body and make for an effective burn (alternate with 1/8 to 1/16 of a mile walking and sprint the rest at around 8-9 mph. Throw that in at random for a 1/4 mile lap. I did and now I do 4 miles with about 75% of it uphill on a 1.5 to 2 degree slope for the extra cal burn. it works out to be about 605 ish cals for 42-44 mins on the treadmill.
  • blondie1238
    Options
    Psssssshhhhh... I'm 5'1" and I run a 12min mile too!! I don't know if it's because I'm short or because I have asthma or because I'm just starting out, but I'm just happy I can run :happy: Yayyyy for being able to do it, is what I say! Waaaahoooo!
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    I did a half marathon at that pace, and was a comfortable run especially as i had never done anything like that before!! I'm now running at about 6 mph (10 min mile.) I did that by running for short periods at 6mph for as long as i could manage on some days and gradually building this up!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Em
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think 12 minute miles are great! I am 5'10" and walk a 12 minute mile my husband urges me to try running..but it just isn't my thing. I do 1/2 marathons once a year and really enjoy them. He is becoming obsessed with running and his time. I think it is all about the enjoyment of the exercise!