Hello

Options
My doctor told me about the website. I am so glad. It is so easy to keep up with calories this way. I went for my normal checkup and when I found that I was just a few pounds under 300, I said that is it once and for all. I have been big all my life and am tired of it. I have a toddler not quite in kindergarden yet and want to be around when she graduates. My husband is doing this with me, so hopefully we can support each other. It is hard when you both work and have a little one to take care of, plus we help look after his elderly mother. Lots of stress in life, so will be a challenge. I have told everyone I work with and they are all very supportive.

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Good luck, this site is definitely the way to go. Just remember that what works for others might not work the same for you so you may have to play around with the site a little and see what fits into your life. DO NOT get discouraged...it may be tough at times but you can do this! :bigsmile:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I know it is hard. I am a wife, mom to four and a teacher full time. We are all busy. I made every excuse in the book for eating fast food and not exercising. Like Nike says Just Do It. I get up at five to exercise. I hate it but am doing it because it is the only time I can. I've logged in for 26 days now and am determined to get healthier. My youngest is 5 and I am 46 and want to be here for a long time. Send me a friend request if you'd like to help support each other. Good luck, you can do it.
  • Sweetiegrl
    Options
    GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME!! I'm new also!! I just joined a couple of days and so far has been pretty good. I like how the site
    Counts your calories and everything for you.
    I have tried every diet in the book and hope very much this works for me. I would enjoy sharing ideas and tips with you and maybe
    Recipes!!! I'm always trying new recipes...
    Good luck to you on your journey to a new and healthy lifestyle. Friend me if you would like
    And we cand share our journey together......... :0)
  • doesgo
    doesgo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to hear you've decided to change things up in your life, for the better.

You said, "It is hard when you both work and have a little one to take care of, plus we help look after his elderly mother. Lots of stress in life, so will be a challenge."

Don't forget, you're not the only one with life challenges and stresses, and everyone's busy. Just don't let that be an excuse to not keep going and realize your goals. Eating well doesn't take much more time than eating poorly. You might have to think about it ahead of time a little more, but that's it. And exercising? At first you'll probably only be able to do 20-30 minutes at a time anyway, so it's not that much of a time commitment. After you get more in shape you'll probably want to gradually increase that time and the intensity, but you'll really WANT to because success feels great! Seems we can all find time to do things we want to do, but can easily use the "I don't have time" excuse when it's something we don't want to do. Don't fall into that trap. Just make it part of your daily life.

I'm 41, married, kids, house, job, etc. Until last fall I used to tell people (including my kids) in a joking manner, "I don't run." But it was true. I had trouble keeping up with my kids and didn't participate in many activities because I was so out of shape. Four months have passed since I started to take control of my life and I've lost 49 pounds, my cholesterol has dropped from 202 to 128, triglycerides from 371 to 129, resting heart rate is 50, BP is down, and believe it or not, I'm running a 5K on the treadmill 3-5 times per week. This from a guy who couldn't/wouldn't even run four months ago. It feels GREAT!

You can do it. You'll hit rough times, but don't dwell on them. Get through them, forget about them, get back on the wagon, and continue. Having your spouse involved is HUGE! And now that my wife and I are into it, both of our children are becoming more interested in being healthy. It's great.

Welcome to a great community, and good luck!