Osteoarthritis

Totally bummed..just got back from ortho doc and got told I have arthritis in both knees. Have been trying to run these last few months and ended up with knees swelling beyond belief, pain and living on Aleve.

Apparently no solution to arthritis apart from ,"Don't run". But the pain and swelling I have had in both knness did not occur while running...one I woke up with, and the other was walking up stairs. I need to run to get out of a sucky job but it looks like that ain't going to happen.

Is there anyone out there who manages to run with this??

Bummed out Al.

Replies

• Totally bummed..just got back from ortho doc and got told I have arthritis in both knees. Have been trying to run these last few months and ended up with knees swelling beyond belief, pain and living on Aleve.

Apparently no solution to arthritis apart from ,"Don't run". But the pain and swelling I have had in both knness did not occur while running...one I woke up with, and the other was walking up stairs. I need to run to get out of a sucky job but it looks like that ain't going to happen.

Is there anyone out there who manages to run with this??

Bummed out Al.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Are you doing any weight training exercises?

A few sessions with a trainer could show you some exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knees, which helps a lot with arthritis pain.

But, low impact may be in your future. biking, elliptical, swimming. I have similar problems running. I can do intervals on a treadmill or on gravel, but road running is out for me.:flowerforyou:
  • Yes, I worked out at physio, then at a gym with a personal trainer for quite a few months before I started to try and run. I have continued the physio and the weight training at the gym.

Someone told me that there is a way to go into the knee and kind of sandpaper the bone spurs where the arthritis is...going to look in to it.:-) Sounds a lot better than knee replacement.