Are alcohol (specifically wine) calories "different"?

Options
I hope some of you have some answers for this one...! I know some calories -- i.e., veggies, are "better" than other calories (i.e., Twinkies!). But supposing I have two scenarios, and in both of them I take in 1400 calories, and let's say exercise, etc. is the same in both. Scenario 1, I eat 1400 calories in healthy food. Scenario 2, I eat 1300 calories in healthy food and drink 100 calories in red wine. Will I lose weight faster in scenario 1?? Because, I love my wine (yes, in moderation!), but if it will help me get to the goal line faster, I can give it up. Mostly.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great question. I hope someone answers, because I enjoy a glass of wine too and wondered the same thing. :smile:
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. I would just make sure the calories you're consuming are actually bringing with them other benefits (choosing red wine over beer, for example, would provide antioxidants).
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    IMO, calories are calories. I've lost almost 25 pounds in just a few months. I eat what I want and drink what I want. I exercise almost every day, and sometimes, when I'm feeling crazy, I have 2-3 glasses of wine.

This is a lifestyle change and you have to incorporate what you love or this won't stick.

But keep in mind, some calories keep you fuller longer. In this case, wine DOES give me the munchies, so you might want to pair it with a snack an hour or two later.

ENJOY!
  • Ddavis1967
    Ddavis1967 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    According to my registered dietitican friend and personal weight loss consultant, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. When you are talking heart health, etc, that is when the type of calories begins to factor in. I think that based on this info plus the fact that you get good antioxidants from the wine that you should drink up! My RD's motto is "ALL things in moderation." She encourages me to have a milkshake occasionally!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alcohol calories are 9 calories for every gram, just like fat. It is considered a sugar, but all the other sugar calories are in the carbohydrate class so they are 4 calories per gram. I dont' know if this is making any sense. Here is a visual breakdown.

Carb. 1gm = 4 cal.
    Prot 1gm = 4 cal.
    Fat 1 gm= 9 cal
    Alcohol 1 gm = 9 cal

So its 9 empty calories for every gram of alcohol.

Thats my understanding of the breakdown.
  • mattmanic
    Options
    Nope! All calories are the same. If you eat 1400 calories a day in sweets, cakes and chocolate you'll lost weight at exactly the same rate as you would if you ate 1400 calories a day of vegetables and lean meat. It's perfectly fine to eat whatever you want so long as you restrict yourself to your limit. Ie. In one day, you could eat 1400 calories of chocolate bars and you'd lose the same weight as you would eating the same amount healthily, but you'd feel really hungry because chocolate is so much denser in calories than vegetables and things. I've lost about 50lbs in the past 4 months or so. I don't eat healthily, I don't exercise, I'm just strict with how much I eat. If I decide I want some chocolate one day and I end up going to 1800 calories, I'll have 600 the next day (1200 a day is my limit). I understand nutrition and take vitamin supplements and ensure I have enough protein for 1200 calories a day to be safe.

In short, eat or drink what you like, but make sure you keep track of your calories :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Girl, red wine contains one of my favorite nutrients -- antioxidants! Enjoy in moderation (and a glass with dinner at night is moderation)! You don't have to give up your wine, so long as you account for it (which I know you do).

I just want to add that one gram of alcohol = 7kcal (not 9), which could have simply been a typo in a former post. Just want to set the record straight. :)

Enjoy your wine, my friend! :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is supposed to hinder your weight loss. In excess, Its supposed to stop you processing fat.

But 1 or 2 glasses per day is not an issue.

More of an issue if you binge drink once a week.........like me! :laugh:

Enjoy! :flowerforyou: