Walking With Ankle Weights

Does anyone know if walking with ankle weights would be akin to walking upstairs? I use them in the house for exercise and was wondering what calorie count to apply. Or doesn't it make any difference? Help?

Replies

• Does anyone know if walking with ankle weights would be akin to walking upstairs? I use them in the house for exercise and was wondering what calorie count to apply. Or doesn't it make any difference? Help?
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    I heard somewhere that they don't really help you burn that many more cals during normal day to day activity..But it seems that during a workout, especially if you were wearing them, say, during a step aerobics class that you would burn more cals....I'm curious too!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    i'm not sure if it burns more calories, but be very careful with ankle weights because they can have negetive effects on your knees and ankles because they pull down on them, where as those joints aren't meant to be pulled down on. Just a helpful time, i dont want you getting injured!!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    i'm not sure if it burns more calories, but be very careful with ankle weights because they can have negetive effects on your knees and ankles because they pull down on them, where as those joints aren't meant to be pulled down on. Just a helpful time, i dont want you getting injured!!
    [/quote

*just a helpful Tip is what i meant not "time"]
  • I heard the same thing...ankle weights are not good to use while you are trying to do aerobic exercise, as they add more stress to joints and tendons. I think they are best used for doing resistance training. Try leg lifts and stuff like that instead of bouncing around with them on.

That's my two cents...

-D
  • I don't use them for an aerobics workout--I just walk laps in the house. So--do you think I should apply calories burned for just normal walking or would I use the calories burned as if I was walking upstairs?