vegetarians and iron

Options
So, since I have been a vegetarian/pescetarian for about 15+ years I thought I had a pretty well rounded nutritious diet, since starting MFP a few weeks ago I see that I fall really short on my iron every day. I try to make every thing I eat for the most part so I was wondering if any one else with a similar diet could offer tips on how they get their iron, maybe a recipe or two? I know cheerios is packed with iron, but I am looking for a natural plant based source. I also prefer to not take a supplement. Any tips?

Replies

• chrysnel
    Options
    Spinach is a great source, and so are chia seeds!
  • katieb99
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that broccoli and animal crackers are great sources of iron
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A quick Google search led me to this list:

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/iron.html

:)
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    haha yes. i am aneimc and i need extra iron. how to get your iron with no supplements. So how to get extra iron that is healthy? I do it how people did it a hundred years ago. They didnt take pills for it. They cooked their food on cast iron pots. Cast iron is iron like they find it in the earth. They melt it and pour it into a mold. Okay so when you cook on cast iron a little bit of it rubs off onto your food. It is proven that if you cook your foods on cast iron, you will get enough of your daily iron. Cast iron is slightly expensive but it will last you many many many years. My grandmother had the same cast iron pot for 80 years.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I just checked my food dairy for recent foods I've had with a good source of iron.

Beans, spinach, raisins, kashi cereal, vitatop muffins, and broccoli to name a few!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Raw One vitamins by Vitamin Code are my daily and they have a full 100% iron count that is vegan. I trust them. I've been a vegetarain for my entire life and was a vegan for a number of years. It's all about ballance.
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!! some of your tips were honestly new to me

Spinach- I have tried at breakfast and lunch every day this last week but it hasn't been enough (i only like it raw really)
    Broccoli- I'm going to try, I didn't know it was high in iron
    @ajweekely- thanks for the link (i searched prior to posting but didn't see this result :)
    chia seeds- i've never seen them but will look for them next time i'm at the health food store
    animal crackers, kashi, fortified cereals- although yummy, i'm trying to avoid those thing's :wink:
    @anidorie- i actually do use a cast iron pot most days so I suppose I don't need to worry about it , thanks!! I didn't know enough got into your food, that's pretty neat :smile: