Any road bikers?

Options
I'm getting my new road bike today - well, ordering it at the shop - and am curious if there are any other roadies out there. I'd love to expand my friends list with some others with this common interest. It's going to be a challenge to find winter biking clothes in a plus size but I will persevere! I plan to bike to the gym and home as often as possible (10ish miles total) until I get my bum accustomed to the seat again. Then it's on to longer and longer rides. I can't wait.

Replies

• meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I got my road bike last year and was riding about 30 miles each time I went out. Can't wait for the snow and ice to go away so i can get back out there. If you're not used to cycling, the best advice I can give is get the best bike shorts/pants you can afford...you get what you pay for.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That's exciting!!!! Spring will be here soon and we'll be able to get outside on the bike, in the meantime spin class and the trainer. You may want to try www.terrybicycles.com for clothing, they have plus sizes. Also, if you sign up to receive their emails they have "Pro Deal Mondays" where they offer a certain item or two for half price. Their clothing is made for women.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am not, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to relearn how to ride a bike! I have a road bike, but it's going to be a few months before enough snow is gone to ride.
  • nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got my road bike last summer, I cycled across the UK last August and I'm in training to ride from London - Paris in August of this year!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ride! I have 3 bicycles in my stable right now.
    I commuted to work (30 miles daily) for about 10 years. Love it!
  • mlsmathias
    Options
    Hello, Roadie here! I have been riding for many years. I had to take this past year off the bike as life had other plans for myself and my family. In Dec I started back riding and I will say starting over sucks but I love being on the bike. It is my outlet, and inlet. I let go of the bad and in comes the good me...LOL
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/ Is rather pricey but she had plus sized clothing.
    Is there a bike club near you that you can ride with to help keep you motivated?

Lisa :happy:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I did my first road ride of this year last Sunday (only an hour, nothing major) and boy was it cold outside!!!! :frown:

I think I better try to find my overshoes if the temperatures stay like this.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Love love love my road bike! We are fair weather bikers though, but hopefully it will start to warm up by the middle of march and we can ride. Make sure you look up the biking laws in your state. They can vary. And get a Road ID!!! Just in case! I wear mine when I run, bike, ski...you name it!

Yea for bikes!! :)
  • arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of capri bike pants that are awesome but I need some cold weather pants. I'm in Tennessee so "cold" is relative. I don't have to deal with snow/ice much but the wind is pretty cold.
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    That's exciting!!!! Spring will be here soon and we'll be able to get outside on the bike, in the meantime spin class and the trainer. You may want to try www.terrybicycles.com for clothing, they have plus sizes. Also, if you sign up to receive their emails they have "Pro Deal Mondays" where they offer a certain item or two for half price. Their clothing is made for women.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out for sure. This is one of the few times I'm glad I don't live in the north. The biking "season" is pretty much year round if you have the right (windproof) clothing.
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    I got my road bike last summer, I cycled across the UK last August and I'm in training to ride from London - Paris in August of this year!

The ride from London to Paris - which ferry do you take across? How far is the ride? I'd love to bike across the UK. Was it an event or just something you decided to do?
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    Hello, Roadie here! I have been riding for many years. I had to take this past year off the bike as life had other plans for myself and my family. In Dec I started back riding and I will say starting over sucks but I love being on the bike. It is my outlet, and inlet. I let go of the bad and in comes the good me...LOL
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/ Is rather pricey but she had plus sized clothing.
    Is there a bike club near you that you can ride with to help keep you motivated?

Lisa :happy:

You're right on about it being an outlet. It's like flying away from my stress. I'm a stay-at-home-mom and being able to ride is such a helpful stress outlet. There are probably bike clubs around but the bike shop I'm using has a weekly ride every Thursday that I'll try to go on.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Why don't you do the Arch 2 Arc? :wink:

http://www.enduroman.com/archtoarc.html

You run from Marble Arch to Dover, swim the channel to the French Coast and then cycle from Calais to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

You'd be in a rather small elite group of 8 who can say they've done it. :laugh:
  • nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We cycle to Dover and then take the short ferry across to Calais. Should be fun! Re: the cross UK ride, we cycled the 'Coast to Coast' route which is a popular cycle route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. We had a organised back up vehicle which was great. We also managed to raise £25,000 for charity, between 5 of us in the process which was great!
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Race cyclocross and triathlon. Do a lot of my training on my road bike. First Race of 2011 is in March! Hard to imagine with 18" of snow on the ground right now.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My Husband is a rodie and I'm slowly but surely getting there! We did the 2009 GOBA ( Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure) and it was a blast even though I didn't have the right kind of bike or gear, I was sore and exhausted by the end of it. I'm planning on going with him again this year, so I too would like to find some plus sized gals who are into it for more motivation and just to share road warrior stories with!
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    Love love love my road bike! We are fair weather bikers though, but hopefully it will start to warm up by the middle of march and we can ride. Make sure you look up the biking laws in your state. They can vary. And get a Road ID!!! Just in case! I wear mine when I run, bike, ski...you name it!

Yea for bikes!! :)

Just got back from the bike shop where I ordered my bike. Can't wait till Thursday! Also ordered a Road ID. Never heard of them but what a terrific idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    We cycle to Dover and then take the short ferry across to Calais. Should be fun! Re: the cross UK ride, we cycled the 'Coast to Coast' route which is a popular cycle route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. We had a organised back up vehicle which was great. We also managed to raise £25,000 for charity, between 5 of us in the process which was great!

That's awesome - on both accounts. I was in the UK about 7 years ago (can't believe it was that long ago) and did the ferry to Calais. Nice little ride. I'd love to do the Coast to Coast route. I wonder how much it would cost to fly my bike to the UK with me. Talk about a dream vacation.
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    My Husband is a rodie and I'm slowly but surely getting there! We did the 2009 GOBA ( Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure) and it was a blast even though I didn't have the right kind of bike or gear, I was sore and exhausted by the end of it. I'm planning on going with him again this year, so I too would like to find some plus sized gals who are into it for more motivation and just to share road warrior stories with!

I would fit your requirements! ;0) Just ordered my bike and can't wait! Yea! I'm considering a charity ride in April. There are several brackets - just don't know if I'd be up for a Century ride in 2 months. Yikes! I might do one of the shorter brackets. Although, I would love to do the Bike Across Georgia sometime.
  • arwsgirl
    Options
    Question: I just bought http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/women/ride/footwear/road_footwear.-productCode-5775.html and am curious what some economical pedal/cleats are for them. I know almost nada about road biking gear so ... I'm a tad lost.