College Dining Hall- Healthy Eating!

Options
Hello!

I'm a sophomore in college without a kitchen. 90% of my meals are in the dining hall and I was wondering if anyone had any healthy and creative suggestions besides just sticking to the salad bar. We have all of the basics- grill, pasta/pizza bar, sandwich station, and we also have a vegan room and indian and sushi stations.

Any Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• clsquires91
    clsquires91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, Sophmore who eats at the dining hall without a kitchen. Luckily for me, I eat alot of the fruits and vegetables and if I get tired of the same thing everyday, the dining hall caterer has a website to look at the nutritional value of everything and for most has calories posted. Does yours have anything like that?
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    always opt for grilled chicken/fish, turkey. Watch out for the sauces, if any. BBQ sauce is loaded with sugar. Mustard is great! Try to avoid too much bread---yea its filling but useless carbs in my opinion. Chow on all the veggies you can get your hands on, especially fresh or steamed veggies, even grilled veggies are good. You would want to avoid the mushy ones that came out of a can if possible. Too much sodium.

Good luck
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    They used to but they just revamped the website and now I can't find it. I've just been trying to go along with what MFP says for calories.. I usually just pick the one from the list that has the most calories so that I'm logging extra calories instead of logging less calories than I'm actually eating. I try to keep that to the minimum though. I also eat a lot of fruit and am constantly sneaking it out of the dining hall haha. I'm hoping someone will have some creative suggestions because I love making delicious things from ordinary dining hall food!
  • clsquires91
    clsquires91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They used to but they just revamped the website and now I can't find it. I've just been trying to go along with what MFP says for calories.. I usually just pick the one from the list that has the most calories so that I'm logging extra calories instead of logging less calories than I'm actually eating. I try to keep that to the minimum though. I also eat a lot of fruit and am constantly sneaking it out of the dining hall haha. I'm hoping someone will have some creative suggestions because I love making delicious things from ordinary dining hall food!

I sneak fruit too!! I also do the same, if Idk how many calories something is I pick one of the higher ones here. It is really hard to get an exact though.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a salad at the dining hall, and if the daily special isn't anything that I can eat (I'm a vegetarian and my school lacks serious veggie options!) Then I usually eat something I have in my mini-fridge, which is usually hummus and pita bread.
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I used to be in the same boat!! While I was living at college it seemed like all there was to eat was burgers pizza and fries! Unless you eat at the salad bar like you said. So I had to get creative. Breakfasts were a bagle and cream cheese with some fruit or cottage cheese or cereal and low fat milk. Lunches started to get a little harder. So I would try to get subs and either cut off half the bread (because they are usually over an inch thick!) or only use one peice of bread for the sandwhich (but that made it hard to get a bite out of). And then I would eat fruit and cottage cheese. Or another idea would be to have a vegetarian burger with some cheese and instead of eating it with a bun wrap it in lettuce. I always had fruit and cottage cheese (mixed) for every meal just to help fill me up with more "good calories". And for dinner...well that gets harder..or at least it did at my college. A lot of times I would end up resorting to breakfast foods again (because they would still be out). But always make sure you eat something that is fresh...or as fresh as can be for a college cafeteria. If it looks unhealthy..it probably is. And if it looks droopy or soggy...dont eat it! Always go for the foods that LOOK healthy. Its hard to explain I guess but you had to see the kind of crap they were feeding us at my college.... uuuhhh. Mystery meat took on a whole new meaning. I never went with "exotic" foods at college, you never know whats in it! Good luck with everything!!!
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hit up the sandwich bar! Get it in a whole-wheat wrap, pick up a lean meat like turkey and load it up with lots of veggies! grab a piece of fruit for a side and some skim milk. Losing weight is about denying yourself things, it's about finding great alternatives to what you've been eating in the past! Enjoy!
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In addition to the salad bar, my college has soups daily. Try pairing a veggie wrap with a small bowl of soup. Avoid some of the cream soups as they can be very high in calories and stick to the ones that are more broth based.