Exercise induced asthma

Options
Does anyone on here suffer from it? I am not sure if I do or not but something sure is going on. After I have been on the treadmill for about 3-5 minutes I feel like my throat is closing up and the roof of my mouth aches and I can't get deep breaths. The aching throat and such seems to subside after maybe 10-15 minutes (this is with walking at 3.5 on an incline of 5, so it isn' t like I am running) but I still can't get deep breaths, plus my heart rate goes up to the 180's at this point. I am not in horrible shape, I was in pretty good shape but took a few months off from the gym so I am getting back into the swing of things now. Plus I am a non-smoker for over a year now and am not overweight. Just wondering if these sound like possible symptoms from people that suffer from it. Thanks for any input! :smile:

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This might seem lame but I am bumping myself. I want some feedback! :tongue:
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    yep, BTDT, have the inhaler to prove it :P it's not fun, somedays I'm fine, other days FORGET IT
  • JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had bad asthma as a kid that thankfully has cleared up, but I still cannot run to save my life. My chest gets very tight and I can't breathe :( I used to take an inhaler, but not anymore. I simply opt not to run!
  • CricketClover
    Options
    Well I just went to the doctor for something else (allergies) and asked about the hard to breathe and high heart rate and I am scheduled for a stress test next month. Joy. He didn't want to start me on the albuterol until we do that for fear that it would elevate my heart rate even more.
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had exercise induced asthma since I was little. Its not really bad for me, but it does affect me when I'm really starting to work out. I don't know about the heart rate, but when asthma kicks in, you get a wheezing sensation. It's really difficult to get a full breath of air and your breathing becomes fairly high pitched. If you haven't been working out in a few months and are starting back again, it could just be that you are out of shape. I coach jr high wrestling and I have multiple kids who think they have asthma and who have inhalers, but the only time they need to get a puff is when we are really working out in practice, and from listening to their breathing (they are low sounding deep breaths), they are not having an asthma attack, they are just out of shape.

Considering you have already went to the docs I'd say listen to him/her. When I have an attack (and I have mild asthma so I use the term lightly), it just feels like someone is holding my chest in and I'm just unable to get a full lungful of air.

Hopefully I've made sense and haven't confused you. If I have, feel free to ask for clarity.
  • CricketClover
    Options
    No, you make perfect sense. Another thing for me at least, and this may sound silly, is I have been so used to holding in my tummy that I don't take very deep breathes like I should. From sucking it in I only take little shallow breathes and I have to tell myself to JUST BREATHE!