Strange food Aversions

Options
After all the excitement this afternoon with my previous forum thread I thought I would keep it simple tonight... Don't worry I'm not going to ask if I should eat my exercise calories or if diet soda is really bad for me.... My question is- do you have any weird food aversions? Things you just can't or won't eat?

For me it's peanut butter- the smell of it makes me physically sick- especially if someone has just eaten a PB sandwich and starts to talk to me... *gag*

Also, anything white and creamy- hold all comments from the peanut gallery please, I've heard them all- cream cheese, cottage cheese, milk, sour cream, whipped cream.... it's not that I don't like them, I just CAN'T eat them!! A psychological thing....

**wondering how long it will for this thread to get out of control...lol**

Replies

• Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Poi, Fritos and Lamb are mine. I am very smell-oriented, and I can't smell any of those without cringing. The idea of eating them is even more outlandish.

Fritos smell like feet.
    Lamb smells like dog food.
    Poi smells like-- something I can't place. But I don't like it!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Pickles! :sick: I didn't even like them when I was pregnant :laugh: They are so awful to me, I stay across the room from hubby when he eats them. Bleh!
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Heheh your post is trollish in nature lol

J/K, for me it's seafood...just can't do it.

Now, considering the fact that I'm southern, born and raised in Houston (near the coast), and live on the coast of Florida...it's a bit odd lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables of any kind. I can't stand to bite into them. The way they crunch just makes me sick. I once decided to try to de-sensitize myself to it because normal people don't hate veggies the way I do, and because salads look yummy and I want to eat them. So I went to the living room with a bag of baby carrots and a big bowl of ranch dressing (I love ranch, so I thought it might help). I bit into the first one and was like, "Hey, this might not be so bad. I can do this." Bit into the second one with a grimace, and thought, "Um... maybe just one more and then I'll try again another day." Bit into the third one, and almost threw up on the couch. I gave up after that. :laugh:

I do like cooked veggies, but they have to be really done. No crunch.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Fish and anything else from the lake, river, or ocean. I just cannot stand the smell, and lobsters look like giant red cockroaches to me. *shiver*

Spanish rice--never did like it

Any organ meat

Fennel

Mustard greens, kale, etc. I can't stand them. I like romaine and similar, though.

I am different from you Wendi as creamy stuff is one of my main weaknesses! lol

Sara: you would have hated living in southern Topeka. There is a huge Frito-Lay plant there that every time you get near it, the Frito smell is overwhelming!!!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    . I once decided to try to de-sensitize myself to it because normal people don't hate veggies the way I do, and because salads look yummy and I want to eat them.

I felt this way about cottage cheese... everyone is always praising it's protein content and such... tried eating it and well the outcome was not pleasant!! That stuff is nasty!!!
  • darwintheboxer
    Options
    I don't have too many aversions but I will not eat

olives (too strong, taste overwhelms everything else it seems)
    okra (only had it once, but yuck to the slime factor)
    rhubarb (can't explain, bad experience as a child)
    anything pickled that isn't a cucumber or ginger
    Fritos smell like feet.
    Heh. It is often said that dogs' feet smell like fritos or corn chips. The smell from dogs' feet is actually from yeast and I love it!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    . I once decided to try to de-sensitize myself to it because normal people don't hate veggies the way I do, and because salads look yummy and I want to eat them.

I felt this way about cottage cheese... everyone is always praising it's protein content and such... tried eating it and well the outcome was not pleasant!! That stuff is nasty!!!

Well you can have all my veggies, and I'll eat your cottage cheese. :laugh: I love it!
  • Jenniebee10
    Jenniebee10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cucumbers and salmon, bleck.. I hate both sooo much.
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    I can't stand the smell of Doritos... that superbowl commercial last night where the guy kept smelling the Doritos was killing me.... *gag*
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Carrots are the worst raw vegetable to try. I like veggies, i like some raw veg but ugh raw carrots. There's something about them that just doesn't seem to want to go down.

I really hate anything lemony, i can't stand the smell let alone the taste. I occasionally buy a cleaning product without checking the ingredients and if it's got a lemon scent i cant even clean with it. Blech!
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Options
    Bleu Cheese makes me so ill!!!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I absolutely cannot eat tuna fish in a can. Just the smell that comes out of that can makes me want to gag. Now, fresh tuna that's been grilled or broiled, or even sushi style.....yummy. But keep the canned tuna as far away as me as possible.
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    I absolutely cannot eat tuna fish in a can. Just the smell that comes out of that can makes me want to gag. Now, fresh tuna that's been grilled or broiled, or even sushi style.....yummy. But keep the canned tuna as far away as me as possible.

I won't feed my cat canned food because it smells like canned tuna!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sara: you would have hated living in southern Topeka. There is a huge Frito-Lay plant there that every time you get near it, the Frito smell is overwhelming!!!

Ack! That sounds horrifying!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Heheh your post is trollish in nature lol

J/K, for me it's seafood...just can't do it.

Now, considering the fact that I'm southern, born and raised in Houston (near the coast), and live on the coast of Florida...it's a bit odd lol

Not too odd if you didn't eat a lot of it at home. I was raised on seafood and I absolutely love it.....well, except scallops.

Houston.....that reminds of this great crawfish place my cousin took me too when I went there to visit....and of course, Gillies...or is it Gilly's. Oh, and this strip bar my cousins husband tricked me into going to and I got him back by buying him a lap dance...hee, hee, hee. To this day my cousin has no clue we went there....or about the lap dance :wink:
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options

I won't feed my cat canned food because it smells like canned tuna!

Yeah, neither will I. LOL!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cottage cheese or avocados. They're just ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    cabbage/greens a reminder of school dinners..eeeeeewwwwwwwwww
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sour cream. YUCK. :sick: