Gaining the "freshman 15" 2 years late

emilychristen
emilychristen Posts: 4
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
I just transferred from my community college to a real university and my eating and drinking habits have quickly spiraled downward. I played sports in high school but now that I don't play any more I've found it difficult to motivate myself to work out and stay in shape. Any sort of support that anyone could offer would be wonderful :)

Replies

• inter murals or open gym
  • Head to the campus gym! It was one of my favorite parts about college. You meet a lot of cool people, get involved in some campus events, and get in great shape! I'm a morning person, so I went in the mornings. I made friends with a few professors who worked out in the mornings, so that was helpful! :)
    Good luck!!! :)
  • I'm so nervous to work out in front of people!! My apartment complex has its own gym but I'm always too self conscious to use it :( hopefully I can motivate myself to start waking up early and get there before most people so I don't have to worry!
  • There are barely any students there in the morning, and the ones that are aren't there for judging, but for being healthy. It's the 3-7 crowd that tends to be more of a social hour and people who are there just because their friends are there.

If you want to workout alone, I'd say get a workout video that you like :)
  • Check if your university offers fitness classes. I find that if I'm scheduled to work out at a certain time w/ a class, I don't usually miss it. The classes are usually pretty intense and taught by people who know what they're doing. Also, you'll be in class with a bunch of people who are also learning, so it's not as embarrassing and you learn a lot.
    Otherwise find a work out buddy you can motivate/who can motivate you to work out when you're feeling lazy.
  • I have started waking up before class and working out. I HATE working out in front of other people as well. Once you do it for 3 days in a row it will become so much easier, and I am definitely not a morning person! Think about working out in the AM right before you go to bed to motivate yourself!
  • Thank you all for your help! :) I'm actually getting pretty excited about this!
  • Almost all colleges require PE credits. Many offer weight lifting female only classes. It might be something you want to check out.The local college here even offers a walking group. During class time, everyone signs in, then goes for a fast-paced walk. There are also running groups, aerobics, square dancing, scuba diving, and archery, though I'd stay away from bowling! You won't get much calorie burn there, haha.
This discussion has been closed.