Oatmeal

Options
I was wondering how do you measure the amount of oatmeal you eat? Dry or already cooked. The recipe says add 3/4 cup to water, but when its done its like 2 cups of cooked oatmeal. :indifferent:

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be dry since the water is what makes it "bigger." LOL
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    nutritional information is usually based on dry measurements
  • orting514
    Options
    Dry and yes it does make a lot of oatmeal, the nice thing about it is its hearty "Stick to your ribs" kinds food, and should fill you up, with minimal caleries.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is measured dry, ok i might be weird becuase it sounds like no one else has this problem, but one serving is never enough for me, so i took hungery girls tip and use twice as much water as it says to and cook it twice as long as it says too, it comes out to more oatmeal and less cals
  • terim3006
    terim3006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    According to my nutrition book, 1/3 cup dry oatmeal, old fashioned or quick, is 99 cals or 2/3 cup cooked is 99 cals. Hope that helps. I would go with the dry. Make the number of servings you need and divide the cooked oatmeal by that number so you get your correct serving size.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I measure out 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal. It says so right on the side of the box. I don't add it to the water, either. A quicker way is to boil water in your teapot, then pour it into a bowl with your oatmeal. Put a plate on top of it as a lid, and leave it for about 5-10 minutes. Most people say 10, but I like it at 5. When you come back, it's done. Just add cinammon and fruit. This is good for mornings when you have to go to work - very quick, and you can be getting ready while it's getting ready.
  • biggerpix
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I get those packets that tell me how many calories are in the final product. I don't add milk or brown sugar like i used to since these are flavored enough already.
    These kinds of measurements drive me nuts since i see thost on my fish nutrition info too. 4 oz. raw???? what is up with that. It's heavier raw than cooked. It's confusing.
  • prototype
    prototype Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't use the oatmeal packets, I use the regular old fashioned oats and I measure out 1/2 cup DRY. It says to use 1 cup of milk or water... but I only use 1/2 cup because I don't like watery mushy oatmeal.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is measured dry, ok i might be weird becuase it sounds like no one else has this problem, but one serving is never enough for me, so i took hungery girls tip and use twice as much water as it says to and cook it twice as long as it says too, it comes out to more oatmeal and less cals

YES! I *love* that Hungry Girl recipe! It's so filling, for only 190 calories. I sometimes eat it for dinner.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

That's a great tip! Oatmeal is one of my faves, but my only problem is that I like to load the sugar on it, and I can't find a way to make it enjoyable without it.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    for measuring, yes dry.

but unless it is steel cut oats, I find that oatmeal burns really quickly and does not keep me full at all.