No Meat.....No Problem

Options

Replies

• kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Some reading examples that I like - I'm sure other people will disagree - again, I'm not saying do each one - Just to learn about it!

The Anabolic Diet
    The Primal Blueprint
    The New Atkins Revolution - which has a vegetarian section in each chapter now
    Protein Power
    The Zone Diet (33/33/33)
    Good Calories, Bad Calories

All good stuff and worth the read.

<Deleted as posted twice... damn computer....>
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. You cut out meat and replaced it with eggplant? Eggplant has virtually no protein. I could understand if you said tempeh or tofu or even beans or quinoa.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    replacing meat with eggplant and expecting same results= no
    but eating eggplant as a low calorie meal alternative = good

personally I don't understand why people would stop eating meat. It is delicious. :P
    and yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there.
    there are also a million studies applauding and shooting down pretty much everything we consume (coffee, meat, flour, dairy). So studies are also to be taken with a grain of salt and not believed blindly.
    The key is in moderation. Too much milk will kill you.

It is obvs. different for everyone but I personally noted that when I introduced red meat and chicken back into my diet i started losing weight and generally felt better (also my blood and hormone levels returned to normal after a huge medical struggle with trying to get healthy and in balance). I eat meat 1-2 times a week, fish 1-2 times a week.
  • kimwig
    Options
    replacing meat with eggplant and expecting same results= no
    but eating eggplant as a low calorie meal alternative = good

personally I don't understand why people would stop eating meat. It is delicious. :P
    and yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there.
    there are also a million studies applauding and shooting down pretty much everything we consume (coffee, meat, flour, dairy). So studies are also to be taken with a grain of salt and not believed blindly.
    The key is in moderation. Too much milk will kill you.

It is obvs. different for everyone but I personally noted that when I introduced red meat and chicken back into my diet i started losing weight and generally felt better (also my blood and hormone levels returned to normal after a huge medical struggle with trying to get healthy and in balance). I eat meat 1-2 times a week, fish 1-2 times a week.
    As I mentioned above.... read the China Study (about the impact of animal protein on long term illness etc), for me it was the major long term study that gave me the impetus to leave meat alone (my light bulb moment). many other studies I read were sponsored by the food producing group that would like us to eat their food.

However I know that food is a personal choice, and I have no problem with anyone eating meat.. it is just something I would not now do...I am only passing comment... that is the joy of these message boards and forum.
  • fitbot
    Options
    I will read it. :)

However have you ever had meat in china? I have and it is not the best quality meat to begin with. Perhaps that is the key. Anyways I will take a look at the study.
  • kimwig
    Options

However have you ever had meat in china? I have and it is not the best quality meat to begin with. Perhaps that is the key. Anyways I will take a look at the study.
    I hope you enjoy it (from a reading and educational perspective).

The thing is it is not just about meat in China, in goes broader than that. I think that the title is quite misleading, which is why it flies under the radar.

And yes, I have eaten meat in China, it was killed fresh, the day I ate it, not far from where it "grew up". It tasted like meat should, it was lean and flavoursome, and I enjoyed it.
  • fitbot
    Options
    I don't know... I have gotten really sick there every time I have meat... It is the only place I tend to avoid it as much as possible. :)
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Oh - I just am amazed at how many people (both here and in real life) give advice based on nothing but what they heard in passing on a TV show 8 years ago (or whatever the source). There are some really excellent studies and books put together with sources sited that we can all easily research with the internet now.

Personally, what I do doesn't matter - although I've found something that works for my goals, what I'm saying to (not just you - but all) people is - do the research! Read up on this stuff! :)

Not only is reading up on it interesting and helpful, but it keeps you motivated. It's hard to jam a doughnut in your mouth when you're half way through reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

I have clients all over that make declarations like, "I'm not going to eat red meat anymore!" based on just that they think it's healthy. However, through 3 years of study, I can't seem to find a single current study that shows it is bad. Some of my friends are vegan because they fundamentally don't believe in eating animal product - I applaud them for that choice! That's fantastic!

My advice to my personal training clients is always the same. Before you swear off red meat/chicken/fat/protein or whatever they claim is bad for you - swear off missing a day of exercise and swear off that cheat cookie. :) It'll go a lot further!

Some reading examples that I like - I'm sure other people will disagree - again, I'm not saying do each one - Just to learn about it!

The Anabolic Diet
    The Primal Blueprint
    Protein Power
    The Zone Diet (33/33/33)

Steve
    KnightFit.com

my mom took me to several nutritionists when i became a vegetarian and they all said it was healthier to not eat meat! you can get protein from other places. for example, for the few years i was vegetarian, i was crazy about peanut butter and still am. these days, i dont have the willpower to never eat meat. i have it a couple times a year. when i went vegetarian, i even lost some weight and had more energy!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    as a vegetarian of 6 years it makes me chuckle to think it could be hard to figure out what to eat without meat :)

good for you for giving it a shot! even if it's only every once in awhile.

there are so many options, don't think you can only eat expensive vegetables as a meat replacement, though. someone mentioned quinoa, lentils, beans.. lots of things can be made from the bulk section and then with some cheaper veggies or onion or tofu/tempeh/whatever floats your boat.

homemade hummus is around 1/3 the price of store bought and much healthier! or you can get that eggplant and try out making baba ganouj...yummm :)
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options

often, china and japan, pass off dolphin and whale meat as something else. maybe that's what you tasted.
  • sherbert0705
    Options
    *hi five* on the no meat :)

I'm a pescartarian totally out of choice :) For the first three months I was seriously ill so just be careful as I just jumped in the deep end and cut meat totally out my life. I've been a pesc for a year and a vege for two so keep at it :D

xxxx
  • fitbot
    Options
    no. `i just go and stay in really ghetto places.
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I was a vegetarian most of my life, my daughter is still. Grilled Eggplant is amazing.

There are lots of resources on the web about how to get your protein and other nutrients through veggies only.

Enjoy and good luck!
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Oh - I just am amazed at how many people (both here and in real life) give advice based on nothing but what they heard in passing on a TV show 8 years ago (or whatever the source). There are some really excellent studies and books put together with sources sited that we can all easily research with the internet now.

Personally, what I do doesn't matter - although I've found something that works for my goals, what I'm saying to (not just you - but all) people is - do the research! Read up on this stuff! :)

Not only is reading up on it interesting and helpful, but it keeps you motivated. It's hard to jam a doughnut in your mouth when you're half way through reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

I have clients all over that make declarations like, "I'm not going to eat red meat anymore!" based on just that they think it's healthy. However, through 3 years of study, I can't seem to find a single current study that shows it is bad. Some of my friends are vegan because they fundamentally don't believe in eating animal product - I applaud them for that choice! That's fantastic!

My advice to my personal training clients is always the same. Before you swear off red meat/chicken/fat/protein or whatever they claim is bad for you - swear off missing a day of exercise and swear off that cheat cookie. :) It'll go a lot further!

The Anabolic Diet
    The Primal Blueprint
    Protein Power
    The Zone Diet (33/33/33)

Steve
    KnightFit.com

The American Heart Association recommends that you eat red mean sparingly. I trained with a personal trainer for 4 yrs/4x's a week and he thought being a smart well balanced vegetarian were the healthiest clients he had.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options

The Anabolic Diet
    The Primal Blueprint
    Protein Power
    The Zone Diet (33/33/33)

Steve
    KnightFit.com

there are a few things you forgot to mention. all human beings have certain traits. we have strong vision with eyes in the front of our heads, we have sharp pointed teeth, we have claws, and we walk upright. all of these are biological traits of predators. when considering changes in diet this is a factor.

for day to day you can get all that is necessary from vegetation, depending on how strict you get with animal by-products (eggs, milk, cheese, and the like) even then as little as the occasional fish can make a big difference. a vegetarian diet can be very healthy but animal based proteins are not easily replaced entirely it requires careful consideration and usually supplementation even then it is very difficult to truly satisfy the body.
  • kimwig
    Options

there are a few things you forgot to mention. all human beings have certain traits. we have strong vision with eyes in the front of our heads, we have sharp pointed teeth, we have claws, and we walk upright. all of these are biological traits of predators. when considering changes in diet this is a factor.

for day to day you can get all that is necessary from vegetation, depending on how strict you get with animal by-products (eggs, milk, cheese, and the like) even then as little as the occasional fish can make a big difference. a vegetarian diet can be very healthy but animal based proteins are not easily replaced entirely it requires careful consideration and usually supplementation even then it is very difficult to truly satisfy the body.
    Will have to disagree here, as a vegan (no meat, fish, dairy or eggs).

Gorillas have the same broad traits you mention humans have, they eat plant products almost exclusively.

As for what I need, as a vegan, I can get without much drama from non animal sources. Vitamin B12 is probably the most difficult to get, but I get that from malt extracts (yeast) if I do not want to take a vitamin supplement. B12 is made exclusively by microbes.

Amino acids (the 8 humans can not synthesize) I get from different plants (legumes, nuts, seed sprouts).

Omega fatty acids I get from nuts and flax.

It is not hard, I do not crave for meats, I am not undernourished or ill

I do not, unless I want to, have to use supplements
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Just curious - but why are you going meatless? There is a lot of misinformation out there.

This kind of misinformation? Interview with Kathy Freston author of "Veganist"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-elam/kathy-freston-veganist-oprah-vegan-challenge_b_819371.html

Below are some excerpts from article

But it's not just Kathy. In its new Dietary Guidelines, the USDA talks up vegetables: "Vegetarian-style eating patterns have been associated with improved health outcomes, lower levels of obesity, reduce risk of cardiovascular disease and lower mortality." I thought it would be a great time to check in with Kathy about what this means for the American diet.

Substantial peer reviewed studies indicate that some cancers are not only halted but can be reversed by a plant-based diet. That's very exciting. But even more accepted is the fact that heart disease can be halted and reversed by a vegan diet. And type 2 diabetes can be reversed in a matter of weeks. You can get off your medication, under a doctor's supervision of course.

Weight begins to drop after just 1 week on a vegan diet. Your thermogenic levels go up after 3 weeks, which means you're getting a 16% higher calorie burn after eating a vegan versus a meat-based diet. Plus of course you're getting the fiber -- so you won't feel the need to overeat. Plus there's no saturated fat in vegetables. There are just so many health benefits to a veggie-based diet.

CE: Do you consider the environmental effects?

KF: Absolutely. It's a complex issue, but to put it briefly: raising animals for food is the primary cause of: land degradation, air pollution, water shortage and climate change. If we care about the planet, then eating vegan is an excellent step we can all take.

So there are plenty of reasons to not eat meat. I do eat meat but I would never challenge any one's right NOT to. My brother, my niece and my daughter are all vegetarian - although not vegan. I have become much more selective about what meat I buy - I will never buy those cheap frozen chicken breasts. I pretty only buy meat from the butcher's case that comes from well cared for animals that aren't fed antibiotics. I am going to start ordering meat from a local co-op that offers grass fed beef and free range chicken.

IF you are smart about it, you can eat a vegetarian/vegan diet and still get all your protein and other nutrients. My daughter is thin and strong (she can even left up her 200 pound football player boyfriend!) I would love to have her arm and stomach muscle definition. She hasn't eaten meat for 5 years.

So anyways kudos to the original poster for trying meat free and perhaps lessening the amount of meat consumed overall in the future. As I said I do still eat it but last week when I had beef for 4 meals in 3 days I could tell - I was swollen and had stomach problems I hadn't had in a long time. I now really know I need to limit how much beef I eat (perhaps to once a week) and stick to chicken, seafood and non-meat proteins for remainder of my meals.
  • fitbot
    Options
    the thing with vegetarians being healthier is not necessarily because they dont eat meat. Vegetarians are generally more health conscious. So it could be all the other stuff they consume that is the real advantage. :)
    The best comparison would be to have two people with the exact same diets one of whom occasionally eats meat (say 1-2 times per week)
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat because I don't like it.

Here's a link to the book about The China Study. No indication these results have been published in a peer reviewed medical journal from what I see. I always look for that or for multiple sources that say the same thing before I think too much of any 1 study or source....

http://www.thechinastudy.com/

T. Colin Campbell (the book's author) has published extensively in peer reviewed journals. Google Scholar him or look on Pubmed and you will see.

Also, the book, The China Study has a slightly misleading title in my opinion because although he refers to The China Study numerous times - as it was a study that he was involved with - he also cites a lot of other research which points to similar conclusions (in peer reviewed journals and funded by non biased organisations!).

It's all really very convincing!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    #throttles sarah# lol

i did this with my church for a month
    You throttled people for a month? At church??
    maybe ;)