Boredom Eating

Options
Eating when I am bored is my biggest downfall - at night and at the weekend, I find myself gravitating towards the fridge.

Got any tips to help me to stop? Last night I went to bed about 2 hours earlier than usual, as I had a massive sugar craving and was all out of calories!

Replies

• solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a sure fire method to get over this, but I used the just go to sleep method plenty of times. It works.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    I normally try to leave a couple hundred calories left over in the evening so when bub goes to bed I can snack a little, but I make sure it's fairly healthy stuff. I normally start with a hot milky drink like a milo to fill myself up and I try to distract myself with cleaning, watching TV, reading etc.

One hint I read was to make a pact to only eat at the dinner table. Ban all foods from the couch or ban eating while standing in the kitchen. If you have to sit and eat properly at the table you're less likely to pick and snack.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've tried and failed to break this habit, so now I plan 3 small (100 cal or less) snacks for the eveing. A lot of the time I'm still watching to clock to see if its time for a snack yet, but at least I stick to my quota. Its being on my own with my daughter in bed and husband at work that does it for me. I'm tired but don't want to go to bed unil he gets home, and its the waiting around that starts the munchie attacks!
  • sargent1976
    sargent1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Any time I feel the erge to eat i drink a couple of glasses of water. Seems to work for me.
  • manicmum
    Options
    When dieting I always buy myself new bath products or nail polishes to distract myself in the evening. This time Im learning how to crochet and know to keep my hands busy.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    How about frozen grapes? They are healthy, sweet, and after awhile your mouth is so numb that you can't taste anything :)
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    How about frozen grapes? They are healthy, sweet, and after awhile your mouth is so numb that you can't taste anything :)

Oh, I may try this! I love grapes, thanks!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Distraction.

I find the easiest way to get over a craving is to distract myself.

Run a bath, brush my teeth, read a bit of a book / magazine, organise the kitchen cupboards, drink a glass of water - anything other than eat!

If I am still hungry after 15 / 20 minutes then I know it's more than a craving and in that case a rice cake / little humous will always suffice...