Cooking Challenge: Eggplant

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the eighteenth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from maeadair who was the winner of the oats challenge.

eggplant.jpg

This week's challenge is EGGPLANT

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday February 12th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    No entries? Come on you guys, show us your eggplant!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Love eggplant... Will try to post a recipe this time around, Liz!
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    I love eggplant... will post when i find a good recipe, haven't found "the one" yet
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmesan is a favourite of mine! I ate it so much I got sick of it!

Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl
    Cut egg plant
    Dip slices in egg then crumbs
    Layer eggplant in baking dish
    Between each layer add pasta sauce

And bake

If I remember it correctly

I will try to get more details
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to getting some new recipes, love eggplant.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is my fave topping on bread/ homemade pizza or eaten as a dip or mixed with pasta etc.
    1-2 medium eggplants, 1 green pepper, 1 onion, lite olive oil ( or regular if u like), hunts tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder.
    Peel n slice eggplant ( short) sprinkle w kosher salt and let it sweat on paper towels for 20-30 min
    Slice n dice onion. Add to large frying pan with 2 tbsp oil. Sauté w green pepper. Cube eggplant and add. If it seems dry add another tbsp of oil. Add spices to pan and stir till soft add can of sauce and stir. When eggplant is soft it is ready and delicious! ( u might need more than 8 oz of sauce is there is a lot of eggplant ... Any questions pls message me
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Wow I must have missed a couple challenges! Haha need to check the forums more...
    I only came to love eggplant in recent years, but hopefully I will be able to make something for this :smile: Though with all the New Year food, I might not be able to D:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xerinx2011
    Options
    This is my fave recipe! Its a bit like lasgne but loads less calories!!

INGREDIENTS:
    eggplant x 1
    courgette x 2
    tinned/chopped tomatoes
    extra lean mince
    100g low fat mozzerella
    garlic
    any herbs you want i love basil and lemon thyme for this
    DIRECTIONS:
    dry fry your mince and add garlic, herbs and tinned tomatoes, Simmer for 10 mins
    Slice your aubergine(eggplant)and courgette into 1cm slices.
    Place a layer of the mince and then a layer of the aubergine and courgette. Into an oven proof dish
    Break off a few bits of mozzerella and sprinkle on the veg layer.
    Repeat until you have used it all up.
    Cook in oven for 40 mins on gas mark 6
    Enjoy! Serve with salad or veggies :D
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 195 calories a serving
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2/4 depending on if serving with anything else!
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I love this!! So very very tasty and my 1 year old loves it too!
  • susiematthews
    Options
    It's important to "sweat" the eggplant first, by sprinkling salt on it and then rinsing it off after 20 minutes or so. This will take the tartness out and although I used to never do that, a friend of ours made dinner for us one night and did it that way and it was MUCH better. Sounds like we have a similar recipe, I will have to see if I can get his from him.
  • xerinx2011
    Options
    I dont salt mine because i dont like salt at all!! I dont use any salt as it makes me sick!!
  • 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do a great Aubergine (eggplant) salad I learned at a cookery school in Morocco. Need to work out the nutrient values though..
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DoingThis4Me
    Options
    3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
    1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
    In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
    Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

Servings Per Recipe: 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 487

This was my first attempt at cooking eggplant, i found a basic receipe on allreceipes.com and changed it to suit my tastes. I made it for a friend who loves eggplant and they loved it! :)
  • harleygirl1717
    harleygirl1717 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    love eggplant gotta go find a recipie....
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    bump.

I have an eggplant recipe at home I'll have to add.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I made this "low calorie Mousaka" http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,152165-236205,00.html. I brushed my eggplant slices with a bit of olive oil and baked them for a while. It actually turned out to be pretty good.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bump. Going to the store in the morning!! lol
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump