Americans - what is oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm American and living in the UK and I can tell you that oatmeal and porridge are the same. I eat it every day, and Tesco Porridge Oats taste the same and have the same texture of Quaker Rolled oats. Also, English scones are the same as American Biscuits, so biscuits and gravy is not, like, digestives topped with bisto for breakfast, as appetising as that sounds. It's more like a savoury scone split in half and topped with a white sausage gravy. If you get it in the south, or even Southern Ohio, it is actually really good. I don't want to talk about it, because it will make me cry. :laugh: Also, grits are disgusting! I don't understand how people eat them. The texture is really weird and the taste is even worse.

Thanks for clearing that up!:flowerforyou:
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    I had some when I was in the States last summer, it was a bit like Ready Brek, it was nice. Biscuits and gravy, however, not so nice! Why would you want to eat that?! :wink:

i think you just had some crappy bisquits and gravy come to texas we have fresh buttermilk fluffy bisquits and smother in country style gravy that has been made from the scratch outa sausage grease whats not to love man i went to europe and germany is the only place that had good food meat potatos beer...heaven

LOL! You and I have very opposite tastes, the thought of anything being made of animal grease, makes me want to be sick. I do agree though, the Germans do good beer :drinker:
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Ok, I'm American and living in the UK and I can tell you that oatmeal and porridge are the same. I eat it every day, and Tesco Porridge Oats taste the same and have the same texture of Quaker Rolled oats. Also, English scones are the same as American Biscuits, so biscuits and gravy is not, like, digestives topped with bisto for breakfast, as appetising as that sounds. It's more like a savoury scone split in half and topped with a white sausage gravy. If you get it in the south, or even Southern Ohio, it is actually really good. I don't want to talk about it, because it will make me cry. :laugh: Also, grits are disgusting! I don't understand how people eat them. The texture is really weird and the taste is even worse.

I eat porridge and my daughter lived in England for 5 years, the porridge we both have and use does taste the same as oatmeal but it is finer ground. And grits, did you try a little milk and sugar?
  • bebemc
    bebemc Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm having my bowl of oatmeal right now with a little cinnamon added. You should visit the south! You can't beat a true southern breakfast!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options

I eat porridge and my daughter lived in England for 5 years, the porridge we both have and use does taste the same as oatmeal but it is finer ground. And grits, did you try a little milk and sugar?

No, almost everyone in my family is diabetic so I don't add sugar to anything. I also try to stay away from sweeteners, and it doesn't matter now, as grits are nowhere to be found here! I do miss Cream of Wheat, though. Wish I could find that here. It's good stuff. Oh, and pistachio pudding mix would be nice, but I really don't want to start the great pudding/dessert/angel delight debate right now! :wink:
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had some when I was in the States last summer, it was a bit like Ready Brek, it was nice. Biscuits and gravy, however, not so nice! Why would you want to eat that?! :wink:

i think you just had some crappy bisquits and gravy come to texas we have fresh buttermilk fluffy bisquits and smother in country style gravy that has been made from the scratch outa sausage grease whats not to love man i went to europe and germany is the only place that had good food meat potatos beer...heaven

LOL! You and I have very opposite tastes, the thought of anything being made of animal grease, makes me want to be sick. I do agree though, the Germans do good beer :drinker:

and the fresh bakeries of germany not something you can find in America down in south texas we had mexican bakeries tho...they sucked
  • bahrainbel
    Options

and the fresh bakeries of germany not something you can find in America down in south texas we had mexican bakeries tho...they sucked

I can honestly say, I have never been to a Mexican bakery, but then I've never been to Texas or Mexico, so what would be the chances? ;-)
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    I love biscuits and gravy! So tasty! You know, some people in the States actually eat biscuits and gravy with peaches on top? Never had it before, but I would love to try it sometime, lol. I love me some oatmeal too though. Yesterday i mixed in some blueberries with oatmeal, and I was full until lunch. It was awesome!
  • lhague
    Options

I do understand you missing the many foods you listed. I live in the Middle East and finding things that are even similar to what processed food I did eat is written in Arabic so I have no clue. At least it leads to healthier eating since I'm not eating the same processed crap.

No, almost everyone in my family is diabetic so I don't add sugar to anything. I also try to stay away from sweeteners, and it doesn't matter now, as grits are nowhere to be found here! I do miss Cream of Wheat, though. Wish I could find that here. It's good stuff. Oh, and pistachio pudding mix would be nice, but I really don't want to start the great pudding/dessert/angel delight debate right now! :wink:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love biscuits and gravy! So tasty! You know, some people in the States actually eat biscuits and gravy with peaches on top? Never had it before, but I would love to try it sometime, lol. I love me some oatmeal too though. Yesterday i mixed in some blueberries with oatmeal, and I was full until lunch. It was awesome!

Omg that's just too much....peaches on top of biscuits and gravy? I don't think I could eat that if I wanted to. However blueberries with oatmeal is quit tasty. :)

Btw this thread is adorable. I love talking about differences in languages and idiomatic expressions. (I'm a nerd)
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options

Where were you when you had the biscuits and gravy? Like what State?

I was in Virginia (Dulles), just outside DC.

If you want them to taste good you have to eat it in the deep south a place the locals only know. Otherwise it can be really bad.

I've never been to the Deep South, I shall put it on my list of places to go.......I quite like the accents too.

I've never had good biscuits and gravy in a *restaurant* ..ever. .Some have been passable..and I've traveled..(and I live in TX and have family in TN, MS, AL, FL, places in the south that have biscuits and gravy)
    The BEST biscuits and gravy you can have is from a great home cook. From a home..it has to be fresh. I have perfected mine and I prefer to make the gravy without any meat. It has to be seasoned properly etc.
    Anyway, trust me, you have yet to taste the heaven that is biscuits and gravy haha :)
  • lhague
    Options

Where were you when you had the biscuits and gravy? Like what State?

I was in Virginia (Dulles), just outside DC.

If you want them to taste good you have to eat it in the deep south a place the locals only know. Otherwise it can be really bad.

I've never been to the Deep South, I shall put it on my list of places to go.......I quite like the accents too.

I've never had good biscuits and gravy in a *restaurant* ..ever. .Some have been passable..and I've traveled..(and I live in TX and have family in TN, MS, AL, FL, places in the south that have biscuits and gravy)
    The BEST biscuits and gravy you can have is from a great home cook. From a home..it has to be fresh. I have perfected mine and I prefer to make the gravy without any meat. It has to be seasoned properly etc.
    Anyway, trust me, you have yet to taste the heaven that is biscuits and gravy haha :)

Originally from TX and I agree, it has to me homemade. I use vegetarian sausage, it actually has better seasoning than pork sausage. My husband and kids love it, when I make it.
  • flipnsexy
    Options
    All this talk about gravy and I'm craving a poutine!!!!!! LOL Yum! :embarassed:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yep, biscuits must be homemade, and gravy from a cook that knows how. (Not me! I can do biscuits, but my gravy is awful!)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • BStayer
    Options
    There is nothing that can be done to grits to make them taste better. They are just as vile doctored up as they are plain. Not all are greasy, but many are. Yuck! Blech! Just the thought...
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options

Mmhm biscuits in gravy in texas best ever :)