Low-calorie Protein?

MeghanAM
MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I switched my goals so that I'm aiming for 40/40/20 now, but I see that I'm falling short of the protein goal by quite a bit.

I'd love some low-calorie protein recommendations! My diary is currently open, in case you want to see what I'm already eating.

Some qualifiers:
-I don't want to eat more meat than I am, I don't think. Usually i do the low-fat sausage in the morning and meat (fish, chicken, turkey, or beef) at dinner.
-I'd prefer natural food over something processed
-Cheaper is better! I've already almost doubled the grocery budget.

Thanks!

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    You could add a low fat, or fat free cottage cheese, or greek yogurt. Might go good with the apple for your last meal, with some cinamon, and sweetener mixed in with it. Eggs are usually fairly inexpensive, I think they average about 5 grams of protein for 30 calories per egg white, 70 calories for a whole egg. Tuna can be cheap. You could always supplement with whey protein too. Might help with workout recovery as well.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Cheaper is better! I've already almost doubled the grocery budget.

Yep, that's the way it is. Eating healthy costs more. my grocery cost is nearly double, too. I sacrifice elsewhere, though. My health has become most important rather than "somewhat" important.

I have my %'s set at 40C 30F 30P from the start and this works for me. I have noticed that alot of MFPers do the same. Limiting fat to 20% is difficult and from what I've read, really is counter-productive to weightloss. The same way the body retains water if you don't drink enough each day.

I notice you aren't using a protein powder. I get mine at Walmart and it is $16 for 27 scoops. 140 cals, 26g protein, 1g sugar. One scoop per day after my AM run. You could use a half scoop at a time.
  • Edamame is a favorite around our house. Great cheap source of protein and fiber, I like to add the beans to a salad or just snack on them plain.
  • How do you know what percentage of C/F/P the diary is calculating and how can you change it to be specific to a certain percentage?

As far as low calorie protein. I don't know if you want to do whole foods necessarily or you are open to protein powders but I have All the Whey vanilla protein powder and it is only 103 calories for a full scoop. It is 25 grams of protein, but usually I just use 1/2 scoop with a cup of Almond Milk so thats only about 52 calories and 12.5 grams of protein (for just the powder). I think it tastes really good too. :)
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    How do you know what percentage of C/F/P the diary is calculating and how can you change it to be specific to a certain percentage?

As far as low calorie protein. I don't know if you want to do whole foods necessarily or you are open to protein powders but I have All the Whey vanilla protein powder and it is only 103 calories for a full scoop. It is 25 grams of protein, but usually I just use 1/2 scoop with a cup of Almond Milk so thats only about 52 calories and 12.5 grams of protein (for just the powder). I think it tastes really good too. :)

if you go under goals, there's an option to customize.

Hmm, protein powder... my husband's going to make fun of me for sure :laugh:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I recently discovered steelhead trout at Costco. It looks and tastes like salmon, is very high in protein and very low in calories and it is delicious!!
This discussion has been closed.