Les Mills body pump

Options
Has anyone taken this class at a gym or worked out with the dvds? About how many calories do you burn in a work out? I'm thinking about taking the class, I've heard good things!

Replies

• eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I do body pump sometiems and I burn about 250 calories..this isnt bad for a weight lifting class, as it is less cardio and more muscle building/toning
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this class! My gym offers all the Les Mills classes. My fitness watch says that I burn anywhere from 450 - 550 calories depending on how hard I am working. If you ever find the dvd please let me know where I can get it! :)
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to take this class when I went to Golds gym. It is an excellent complete body toning workout. It will get you toned up very quickly. The classes usually fill up really quick. Only drawback for me was all the equipment you have to drag out at the beginning of the class, the freeweights, the bar and weights, a mat, we used an aerobic step as a bench. So you need to have plenty of room for all your stuff. But it is a wonderful class, you will work, chest, shoulders, abs, biceps, triceps, legs, back, etc. all in one class.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump - I aim to get to at least 2 classes a week. Its amazing how quickly you can increase the amount of weight you can lift, and the results on body shape are pretty impressive too.

There's no definitive answer on the calories burned, as it depneds on so many factors, but I reckon a 1 hour class burns 300-400 calroies. I'm hoping that my beloved will buy me a heart-rate monitor for Valentines Day so I can get a more accurate calorie count :-)
  • HW2Hottie
    Options
    I take this class two maybe three times a week if I have time. It is really good and you can burn about 200 calories in the hour depending on the person. It is more strength than cardio so it won't put up big numbers. Very good class and will help you get in shape. Quick!
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I teach BP and have almost burned 800 in one class but then again I am talking the whole time. But your burn is completely dependent on how hard you push yourself. If you challenge yourself with heavier weights you'll burn more. The best thing is you're toning and building muscle so you'll be burning all day and the next because your muscles are repairing.

Take the class and you will not regret it. Also, I'm not sure if Les Mills have a dvd collection. Instructors get dvd's but only to learn the next music & choreo.
  • KellyB2076
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump! I was taking it 1-2 times/week for a while, and I saw some good results. You really work everything, so start out a little lighter or you will be hurting after the first class (unless you already are used to weight training of some sort). I don't have a monitor, but my friend does and she burns more calories in Pump than in Body Attack (aerobics). Like beahawk said, it's all in what you put into it. But remember also that weight training is an important part of your workout routine because when you build muscle, your body will burn fat better. They changed the schedule of classes at my gym and I haven't been able to do Pump for a couple months now, and I can tell. Not only are my muscles getting weaker again, but my endurance is lower and generally I'm more sluggish. I finally found an early evening class at another location for my gym and can't wait to start up again, even if only once a week. You should definitely try it out, and give it a few classes, I'm sure you'll be hooked!
  • iamjm93
    Options
    I am a member of Golds Gym and had taken the class a few times a week in the past and loved it. Since I have not taken the class in the past few months, I have noticed a big difference. My arms were in much better shape when I took the class... I know that I need to make it back... it's definitely worth a try. I can't usally concentrate on weight training, but the class makes it fun.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My HRM tells me it's around 350.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks y'all, I try to fit one into my schedule by the end if the week!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If it's your first time, go easy. Although the weights seem small, there are A LOT of reps.

I see a lot of people who think "oh this is easy" in the class, and come down the stairs backwards next day after 80+ squats...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I take both BodyStep and BodyPump back to back. So I am getting both cardio and strength.
    Plus, I am working muscles that are somewhat already fatigued so I am burning more calories and building more lean muscle that way.
    I really enjoy the class atmosphere because it keeps me motivated and the music is a lot of fun.
  • Smook916
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question. I guess it looks like if you really want to know we all need a heart rate monitor. :smile: