Fear of Dying

Options
so, my birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, and i'm turning the big 3-0. i'm terrified because i always thought i would have my weightloss well under control by the time i entered my 30's. with this milestone, i find myslef thinking alot more about death, and i'm worried alot more about it. how did you guys handle turning 30? any idea for making the fear of dying go away?

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so, my birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, and i'm turning the big 3-0. i'm terrified because i always thought i would have my weightloss well under control by the time i entered my 30's. with this milestone, i find myslef thinking alot more about death, and i'm worried alot more about it. how did you guys handle turning 30? any idea for making the fear of dying go away?
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Live like there is NO tomorrow.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
    Mi
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I could give a very religious answer to this--and can still if you wish to PM me--but let me simply say this:

Focus on dying? Why? Focus on living instead.

30 is no biggie either--shoot, I passed that a long time ago.
  • artnoren
    Options
    30 was, by far, the most difficult birthday of my life. I realized that there were some things physically, that I could never do as well again. My funk lasted a few years. But it passed, and life got better. When I turned 40 it was no big thing. In fact, I started my own business at 46. That same year I became a father for the 3rd time. 50 was a piece of cake. So was 60. 62 was a little rough as I was given a month to a year to live. I'm 66 now and plan on confounding the doctors for years to come. My baby girl graduates from college next may and I'll be there. She just got engaged and will be married in two more years. I'll be there to walk her down the aisle. Stay healthy with proper diet and execise; smile often; love deeply; and always have a dream. You've got a great life to look forward to and it's just about to begin!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness. I went through the same thing for awhile. I don't know why. And it wasn't like a fleeting thought, I mean it really bothered me for a couple of years. I don't know what to say. Certainly don't have an answer for that. But I will say this, lately my fear of dying has turned into something like an ER episode. I'm so weird. I go through all these scenarios in my head and play them out like what I would do if I got hit by a bus. :laugh: or like I'm out fishing (which I have never done) and I somehow get this stupid fishing hook in my eye (just my luck) and I was out there all alone. OMG! I am a total freak. I've even gone so far as to plan out the kind of music I want playing at my funeral and who I want to give the eulogy (sp?). I've come up with one definite song - Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

P.S. In all my ERpisodes, I end up in some coma and talk to myself in the coma telling to get the f!@# up! And I do. 352nmsp.gif
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 this summer, and it was a very big motivator for me to change my lifestyle. It is a little hard to realize that my body is getting creakier, but I am just focusing on the fact that making the positive changes that I am making NOW rather than LATER can only be good for my health and increase my chances for a long and happy life.

But it did definitely put things in perspective for me. This is the only life I'm gonna get (probably! :laugh: ), so I really need to just do my best to take advantage of it while I can. It can be hard, though - there are a lot of things about my life that are not necessarily what I want them to be. But I try to just focus on being positive, being a good person, treating those around me well, and trying not to take everything I have for granted.

Every day is the first day of the rest of your life! Think of what you want your life to be and then live today like that. :flowerforyou:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i had the same fear i still have that fear and it gets worse when u have a dream of dying that was realfrightening:noway: ,,i just try not to think about it and live life the best u can and enjoy it no matter what:flowerforyou:
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Personally- I think things have just gotten better with every passing year. GO out with your friends and celebrate all that life has to offer. 30 is the new 20!:drinker:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    30 was, by far, the most difficult birthday of my life. I realized that there were some things physically, that I could never do as well again. My funk lasted a few years. But it passed, and life got better. When I turned 40 it was no big thing. In fact, I started my own business at 46. That same year I became a father for the 3rd time. 50 was a piece of cake. So was 60. 62 was a little rough as I was given a month to a year to live. I'm 66 now and plan on confounding the doctors for years to come. My baby girl graduates from college next may and I'll be there. She just got engaged and will be married in two more years. I'll be there to walk her down the aisle. Stay healthy with proper diet and execise; smile often; love deeply; and always have a dream. You've got a great life to look forward to and it's just about to begin!

wow! you rock my friend!!! best of luck and I love that you beat the odds!!!

hugs!
    Ali
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I remember my mom turning thirty and freaking out. I got there (a few years ago) and could not figure out why she had felt that way.

Come on, now, fifty is the new thirty. :happy: You've got 20 more years before the "new thirty".:laugh:

Really. :flowerforyou:

Seriously, I personally know some knock-out drop dead gorgeous vibrant women in their 50's and 60's and I plan to be one. A goal I set in my teens was to compete in the ironman in my 50's. I guess I'd better rev up the training schedule.:laugh:

I didn't go to college (well, back to college) until my 30's (and had two children, one with a genetic disorder) and I'm still in school....hoping to earn a Ph.D. the year I turn 40. Seriously, facing my son's enormous medical issues his first few days of life happened before I turned 30. It put a lot into perspective when I my dh and I kissed our three day old son goodbye at the operating room door knowing there was a 30% chance he would not survive the surgery. BTW, he survived that surgery and the next half a dozen surgeries and is thriving.

You are way young still.:flowerforyou: You can still make your weight goals during your 30th year. :flowerforyou: You are already well on your way. :flowerforyou:

No worries ~ they'll give you wrinkles :laugh:
    People are living long, healthier lives.
    You have most of your life still in front of you. The best part of your life is still to come! Live it to the fullest. Work everyday on making it your idea, dream life. What are you going to do to get there? It can be done. :heart:

Hey, I know where Nanaimo, BC is... a good friend of mine lived there for awhile.
    I hope the above is not too cheerleaderish for your tastes. Honestly, you can make your weight goal (or close to it) in the next year. You can find a lot of joy in life, even over the age 30. I would not go back to a younger age... I find I am much more confident and comfortable in my own skin now. I hope you are able to find the same peace and happiness with your age and your body and every bit of you. You deserve it. Happy birthday.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

What a beautiful message to Ellelit and all of us!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness. I went through the same thing for awhile. I don't know why. And it wasn't like a fleeting thought, I mean it really bothered me for a couple of years. I don't know what to say. Certainly don't have an answer for that. But I will say this, lately my fear of dying has turned into something like an ER episode. I'm so weird. I go through all these scenarios in my head and play them out like what I would do if I got hit by a bus. :laugh: or like I'm out fishing (which I have never done) and I somehow get this stupid fishing hook in my eye (just my luck) and I was out there all alone. OMG! I am a total freak. I've even gone so far as to plan out the kind of music I want playing at my funeral and who I want to give the eulogy (sp?). I've come up with one definite song - Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

P.S. In all my ERpisodes, I end up in some coma and talk to myself in the coma telling to get the f!@# up! And I do. 352nmsp.gif

Interesting...

My fear of death has nothing to do with the act of dying itself, but of ceasing to exist...
    :ohwell:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I avoid this by being a vampire.

Ha ha.

No, I'm just kidding.

:)

Really. I am.

On a more serious note, which is much less fun, nothing's permanent. Everything's permanent. How's that for a contradiction? Yet, there it is. If you pour water into a tray and freeze it to ice, is there no water left in there? If you put the ice into a soda (preferrably a root beer) and the ice melts, is that ice in your soda or water?

Who gets what I'm saying? :)
  • shorerider
    Options
    I didn't go to college (well, back to college) until my 30's (and had two children, one with a genetic disorder) and I'm still in school....hoping to earn a Ph.D. the year I turn 40. Seriously, facing my son's enormous medical issues his first few days of life happened before I turned 30. It put a lot into perspective when I my dh and I kissed our three day old son goodbye at the operating room door knowing there was a 30% chance he would not survive the surgery. BTW, he survived that surgery and the next half a dozen surgeries and is thriving.

Here's to us mid-life superwomen! :drinker:
    I started as a freshman in college at the age of 38 and earned my Master's Degree at the age of 43. Probably going for my D.Min in a couple years. Taking a break from school!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Interesting...

My fear of death has nothing to do with the act of dying itself, but of ceasing to exist...
    :ohwell:

Cease to exist? Not me!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

I started as a freshman in college at the age of 38 and earned my Master's Degree at the age of 43. Probably going for my D.Min in a couple years. Taking a break from school!

Woot, Shorerider! I knew I liked you!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I avoid this by being a vampire.

Ha ha.

No, I'm just kidding.

:)

Really. I am.

On a more serious note, which is much less fun, nothing's permanent. Everything's permanent. How's that for a contradiction? Yet, there it is. If you pour water into a tray and freeze it to ice, is there no water left in there? If you put the ice into a soda (preferrably a root beer) and the ice melts, is that ice in your soda or water?

Who gets what I'm saying? :)

Its like this, if you look at empty railroad tracks you don't know which direction the train is running.:wink:
  • shorerider
    Options

Woot, Shorerider! I knew I liked you!

Nothing to make you feel REALLY old like sitting in a classroom full of 20 somethings and knowing you're old enough to be their mother--and having them treat you like you some archaeological relic. :grumble: But hey, I got along great with my professors! Mostly because they tended to be my age :tongue:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 in April. To be honest it was the most exciting thing I have looked forward to in my life-even bigger than 21 or 18! Too many insecurities in my 20s and teens! I believe that my 40s will be even better! :bigsmile:

I know who I am a whole lot better at 30, and I expect to make better choices in my 30s-like living a more healthy lifestyle and making choices that are best for Gina and not doing what my friends and family what me me to do.

My uncle use to always say that he gets better looking every year, and I would always laugh at him. Now, I know that was only part in jest. I FEEL better about myself with every passing year. I feel better and more confident in my abilities, my body, and the choices I make. 40, 50, 60 and beyond can only increase that feeling of confidence.

My life is far from perfect. I am in a relationship that is not good for me, but I am making choices to change my situation. Choices-that is empowering. I FEEL like my life is just begining at 30. I know I have choices-my 20s? Well, I felt like things just happened to me, and I had no control over it. They don't-there are patterns. If we pay attention to the patterns of our choices, then we can change them in a positive manner.

And that is why 30 was so exciting for me-I truly feel that my 30s will be magical.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options

Its like this, if you look at empty railroad tracks you don't know which direction the train is running.:wink:

Choo Choo.