Why I stopped telling folks about mfp.

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
so people see me losing weight eating healthy etc and ask about it and I always mention this site or app. Usually on the spot they download app sign up for site I ask my friends to add them and then a week or two goes by and they quit. A couple even deactivated their account. Its so aggravating to see people give up so fast but every single person ive told about mfp has. So I dont need my real life associates on my team ill stick with the great folks here

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yay...more room for us...your hard core work out buddies. :drinker:
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I dont tell anybody...because I dont wanna get BUSTED!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend. I am tired of hearing about everyone on here talking about how they screwed up today and "oh well tomorrow is another day." Well I used to say that my whole life, and it just got be fatter and fatter and fatter. But for the last 5 months I never once said that and I really like it- LOL!
  • thomasvision
    thomasvision Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have told so many people about this site after they ask me about my weight loss and working out. But I have found that everyone wants a magic pill to lose weight. When they ask me how I've lost the weight and I say eating right, working out and mfp, they look disappointed. lol.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I understand. I share the site with anyone who might benefit and seems interested. But I am a little "quirky" about who I add as "friends." My "rules" are on my profile -- most read 'em before they ask, but not all. I'm here to help other folks -- not to use this site as another Facebook. And thankfully, there are a lot of folks on this site that ARE making a heroic effort and changing their lives. So cool ....
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it as my dirty little secret :) Besides, I hold nothing back on here, and some of that stuff would be better left unsaid to people I really know... like my starting weight.
  • janack
    janack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have been the only one that has stuck with it. Either that or they turn their noses up at counting calories. Honestly, I NEVER in my life thought I would count calories. It works though....
  • peanutbutterpanic
    peanutbutterpanic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love your outlook, although I've had the opposite experience with those I've told. I'm actually being left behind by some of their staggering progresses. I really love the people here too and I wish you the best of successes while meeting your goals!!!

Steph :flowerforyou:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I dont tell anybody...because I dont wanna get BUSTED!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    oops hit the button to fast my sentiments exactly LOL
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    No way I want my coworkers knowing what I say here. I get enough raised eyebrows as it is.
  • rwkem
    rwkem Posts: 35
    Options
    I found out from a friend and Ive stuck with it...this site is like my accountability coach..I know if I stick something bad in my mouth Im gonna have to record it or Im just cheating myself.. So thankful Ive stuck with it although..im pretty discouraged by my weight loss the past 2 weeks :-(
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I understand. I share the site with anyone who might benefit and seems interested. But I am a little "quirky" about who I add as "friends." My "rules" are on my profile -- most read 'em before they ask, but not all. I'm here to help other folks -- not to use this site as another Facebook. And thankfully, there are a lot of folks on this site that ARE making a heroic effort and changing their lives. So cool ....

......I agree with Robin..... This about weight loss and support with folks that have been there!!!! I want to talk and get advice from those that have been there and knows what it takes to stop the madness!!!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've told a few people about MFP... most i've told are horrified that i actually count everything I eat and say that it leads to obsession. Maybe so, but i'm happy and healthy! One person i've told has decided to start up though, he's worried he won't keep tracking, but already after one day he was becoming more aware of what exactly he was putting in to his body! I think he was most surprised about the hundreds of calories a day he was consuming (wasting!) by drinking milky, sweet tea!

It's an eye opener and i think a lot of people aren't prepared for that! They don't want the responsibility of knowing what they're eating! Ignorance is bliss.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I always openly share this site with people. One friend of mine actually did join and still uses it ("josephbales"), but everyone else I've mentioned it to does not even bother to come try it out. I think what it is, is that people need to already have that dedication and drive to lose weight BEFORE you tell them about the site. Maybe I'm wrong. But my friend Joey already wanted to lose weight and was already physically active when I told him about this site. He is an active runner but was having trouble tracking his calories.

I wouldn't give up too soon; you never know if someone will try it.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I still tell some people but yep most people who I have told have quit but then again that is the majority of most people who start anything not just weight loss
  • ABarnes63
    Options
    You just keep doing what you're doing. I wouldn't stop telling about this site though. It has been a wonderful way for me to keep myself on track and motivated. Those who have really set their minds to achieving their goals will find this information VERY beneficial to their progress. Congrats on your success thus far!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    I understand what you mean, I have two freinds that need to be on here and they won't stick with. We have been conditioned to go with what is easiest and never look at our faults. I've helped some people stay and stick with it, I don't think to much about it. As long as I do what I'm suppoesed to. I gave them a tool to help if they don't take it that up to them.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I showed my coworkers my new phone and how it could read the barcode(cuz it's sooo cool) and I showed another coworker my food log, but for the most part they just do lip service about the changes they want to make. Therefore, I don't talk about diet and exercise with them.