Recipe Help. I have no kitchen!

Options
Melange77
Melange77 Posts: 9 Member
Well I HAVE a kitchen but it's little more than a room with four walls. We're renovating it ourselves so we'll be without an oven & a full size sink for a while.

I need lots of crockpot & one pot stove top recipes that are still low cal. (we have a small two burner electric stove behind the bar so I can do a little bit of cooking)

Any tips on low cal take out?

Thanks!

Replies

• libertyj77
    Options
    Do you have a micorwave?? You can steam almost anything with a plastic bag, little water and a microwave.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    There is a ton of recipes on this site http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

for crock pot cooking. Also a blog where someone did a year of crockpot cooking http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

If you enter the recipe under recipes will give you info per serving you might beable to change things around for lower calorie.

I love using my crockpot and go to the grocery store and get the renyolds crockpot liners. Makes clean up a breeze!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Crockpot:
    roast a whole chicken on a bed of onions, celery, carrots (spoon off fat from the liquid and it is awsome)
    ground turkey chili
    lean roast cuts (always put the veggies on the bottom when using your crockpot)

Stovetop:
    you can make LOTS of chicken breasts to add to a salad or slice thinly for sandwiches . . . or for dinners
    ground turkey for taco's (then just chop all your fresh veggies and add some salsa)
    pan fried fish fillets (just use some cooking spray and lemon pepper, yummy)

I bought a rice cooker with a steamer basket in it, we never use it as a rice cooker but steam our veggies almost every night for dinner in it.

There is really no takeout that is "healthy" unfortunately so I stay away completely.
  • Melange77
    Melange77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave but I can't say I want to try and cook a whole meal for a family of 4 in it. lol

Thanks for those links I'm definitely going to check out the 365 one.

I love those baggies. They are definitely going to come in handy around here!

Lutzsher, do you know how long you leave the whole chicken in for? I have a little 5lb chicken that would fit perfectly in my crockpot. Thanks!
  • MarthaSM
    Options
    Crockpot recipe: Birria (Mexican "pot roast")

Season round eye steak with sea salt and black pepper. Place in a crockpot with 3 cloves, 2 bay leaves, crushed garlic and a can of Las Palmas mild enchilada sauce (red). Cook for several hours until meat is tender (it'll pull apart easily when touched with a fork). Pull meat apart, (strain the cooking liquid to remove the extra stuff)- leave meat in enough (strained) liquid so it doesn't dry up. Serve with chopped onion, cilantro, lemon/lime and hot sauce in corn tortillas. Also goes well served with beans.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to second the crockpot365 blog: she's amazing! I've modified several of her recipes (to make them vegetarian), and my kids really liked enchilada casserole, several of the soups, crockpot lentils....

I've also made chili using Cooking Light's recipes: they've got some crockpot, and some crockpot-adaptable recipes...
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave but I can't say I want to try and cook a whole meal for a family of 4 in it. lol

Thanks for those links I'm definitely going to check out the 365 one.

I love those baggies. They are definitely going to come in handy around here!

Lutzsher, do you know how long you leave the whole chicken in for? I have a little 5lb chicken that would fit perfectly in my crockpot. Thanks!

I usually put my chickens in for 4-6 hours. I tried it all day (while I was at owrk) once and it just got to be too tough for my liking.

I went through this myself last year, for 4 months. I made a lot of stirfries in the electric skillet. I had a lot of green smoothies and salads. Rotisserie chicken is nice for so many things, especially since roasting a chicken in the crock pot takes longer. Soups and chilis are great in the crockpot. Just add the ingredients from your favorite recipe and cook all day. There's really not much you can't cook when you've got an electric skillet and a crockpot.
  • med280679
    med280679 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    go to Allrecipes.com there is a ton there!
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had a similar situation. When we moved I only brought my crock pot along. So we had to figure out how to make dinner only using a crock pot. Let me put on my thinking cap and I will send you a message. :)