STOP!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING that sounds to good to be true.....is! It will not take a degree to understand that! Monitor what goes in and what comes out! (calorie counting I mean) I am walking proof that all of the "guick" fixes are just that "guick". That is that they only last while your starve or deprive yourself! It is time to stop all of the insanity!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!
    I would like to see more healthy cook books published-- teach people how to make things they like in a healthier way.
    I haven't given up any of the things I love to eat-- I just make them smaller rewards for a good workout.

:smokin:
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    But putting in the hard work is soooooooo haaaaard.

Love the post!
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    Totally agree! I still kind of struggle with the clean eating, but my habits are soooo much better than what they were. If they weren't I wouldn't be 60 lbs lighter than I was at this time last year. When people ask me how i did it and i answer, "I watch what I eat and exercise," they're almost disappointed. They're like, "oh...the hard way." Really, it's the ONLY way...especially if you want to keep it off. At least that's what's worked best for me!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my profile, and needed to expand my audience due to the reponse: "I am SICK of reading posts in the forums about "diets". From 'slow-carbs' to 'cottage cheese diets' to this, to that. Can we have a site dedicated to sane principles? Ones that avoid magic pill solutions to our issues of fitness? Clean eating, burning more than we take in through smart, intense (on a personal scale) exercise. That's it. That's all. There's no shortcut. No way around it. Do this or be out of shape. No excuses. No BS."

It's not fancy. It's clean and simple. Eat good foods, if you decide to not eat good foods, do it in moderation (I enjoy foie gras, pizza, and pasta still to this day...it's just not often, and not in copious amounts). Work out hard - by that I mean push yourself. And balance your input with your output. That's it. Nothing else to it. You don't need a book. You may need a kick in the *kitten* to get going...nothing wrong with that, we all do now and then. But please, put the Zone and Atkins and Bacon Diets, etc, etc. books publishers out of business by realizing there's no quick fix!!!

Hear! Hear! Those shortcuts are going to be what have you wondering in a few weeks, months, etc as to why you've gained it all back. Unless you just lose focus and get lazy again like myself. Which is where the swift kick in the *kitten* will come in handy. Thankfully, I know the wonderful people here on MFP will help with that when it's needed.

On a separate note... I recently bought Rocko's "Now Eat This" cookbook and can't wait to try some of the stuff. I also have the Men's Health cookbook on the way. I've loved their recipes in each issue and have been waiting a long time for an official cookbook. :D
  • madlibpoet
    madlibpoet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love it. As a former Ephedra/Metabolife advocate in the late 90's / early 2000's...this is better because you actually feel good!! Those pills made me wacky!! :)
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, come on.

People are at different points in their process and understanding of weight loss. Let them go through what they need to to find their own path. If you don't want to read about other "diets" then don't read those posts! I agree that slow and steady wins the race but some "diets" work for some people and I think being supportive of other's choices is more important than the attention you're receiving by being negative.

Also, this also isn't a dating website or a rant website or a tell-funny-jokes website, but people will always continue to post what they want because this is probably the only place where many of these people are actually being honest about their weight and therefore, where they feel the most comfortable working out their problems and figuring out HOW to lose weight.

Perhaps your rant would've been better suited for the Fun and Games thread instead of the General Diet and Weight Loss HELP thread.

Just my opinion.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    I agree with your post. Mayby MFP should start a topic Category called "FAD DIETs" Then there will be a place for people to post their stuff.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately and quite sadly perhaps, some people have lost the intangibles or have very little of them. I can't say I'm surprised though. Our world has become an "instant gratification" one. From food being delivered to your door, instant messaging, to cleverly designed infomercial ads promising ripped abs in X amount of days....they never seem to stress those intangibles.

my $0.02
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    'like button'
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    Great post - and great to-the-point advice. To everyone in agreeance: keep up the healthy lifestyle!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I think for those of us who have large amounts of weight to lose and/or have been fat for a long time, it is a process. It would be wonderful if the light bulb came on for everyone IMMEDIATELY. For many of us, it takes a long time to get where you are and we should not be yelled at for not making it there at the same pace as you. Be grateful that you have it all together and wish the rest of us well. It takes a long time to break lifelong bad habits. Be a positive role model for those of us who are less than perfect rather than grinding us into the ground. Best wishes to you for your continued success. :smile:

Survey says XXX

* In a soft understanding voice*
    That is wrong. First I didn't get the impression he was yelling at anyone. Ive lost 93 pounds Its taken me just over a year of consistent diet and exercise. No magic pills. No special diets. Just common sense.

Why would it take people a long time to get to where he was? I was 300 lbs and said this is the only way that works.

Ill tell you why.
    You're lieing to yourself. When you actually decide that your tired of being overweight and tired of being unhealthy you just do what has to be done. You dont pretend diet your way to fit and healthy.
    This isn't a process that takes decades to accomplish. You either want to be healthy and fit or you want to continue to eat the crap you do and only go half speed on the elliptical for 10 -15 min. 2 days a week.

If you stop telling yourself to believe that the other crap works and just do what has been proven over and over flawlessly without help you will succeed. There is no trick. Diet and exercise Only. No personal trainer needed. No book. No video. No shake. No magic Voodoo drops Just hard work, commitment and consistency.

Are there great books and videos that help you understand the science of diet and exercise Yes but they cant do it for you. Owning P90X wont make you lose weight. You have to follow it and put in the work! Ya its WORK, but you get paid

I know this was harsh and I know its not easy. You have to be done pretending!

Go be fit!
  • minni2906
    Options
    You know, I don't completely agree with this. If you look up "diet" in the dictionary, it simply states "particular selection of food, as for health". So, yes, I am sorry, but I am on a diet. Even a low-carb diet. No, it's not a "fad", it is a lifestyle change, but it's still a diet.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You don't think STOP!!!!!! gives the impression of yelling?
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I agree. I can see why people try those fads. They want the weight off and they want it off now, everyone wants that. But the truth is, it's not going to happen. It's also so satisfying to work hard and do the right things to get it off and to do something in fitness you thought you could never do. For me it's running, never thought I could. I lost weight and was able to run a half marathon!

My friend has done most fad diets & gained more than b4. I really could not be bothered with them, i am more into eating healthy . Its just i need to re-learn all my portion sizes (putting to much on plate & not leaving anything) make better choices & retrain myself to stop when full.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Great post and answer. Favorite line "Yes it's work, but you get paid." I may have to hijack that and make it my tag line.
    I think for those of us who have large amounts of weight to lose and/or have been fat for a long time, it is a process. It would be wonderful if the light bulb came on for everyone IMMEDIATELY. For many of us, it takes a long time to get where you are and we should not be yelled at for not making it there at the same pace as you. Be grateful that you have it all together and wish the rest of us well. It takes a long time to break lifelong bad habits. Be a positive role model for those of us who are less than perfect rather than grinding us into the ground. Best wishes to you for your continued success. :smile:

Survey says XXX

* In a soft understanding voice*
    That is wrong. First I didn't get the impression he was yelling at anyone. Ive lost 93 pounds Its taken me just over a year of consistent diet and exercise. No magic pills. No special diets. Just common sense.

Why would it take people a long time to get to where he was? I was 300 lbs and said this is the only way that works.

Ill tell you why.
    You're lieing to yourself. When you actually decide that your tired of being overweight and tired of being unhealthy you just do what has to be done. You dont pretend diet your way to fit and healthy.
    This isn't a process that takes decades to accomplish. You either want to be healthy and fit or you want to continue to eat the crap you do and only go half speed on the elliptical for 10 -15 min. 2 days a week.

If you stop telling yourself to believe that the other crap works and just do what has been proven over and over flawlessly without help you will succeed. There is no trick. Diet and exercise Only. No personal trainer needed. No book. No video. No shake. No magic Voodoo drops Just hard work, commitment and consistency.

Are there great books and videos that help you understand the science of diet and exercise Yes but they cant do it for you. Owning P90X wont make you lose weight. You have to follow it and put in the work! Ya its WORK, but you get paid

I know this was harsh and I know its not easy. You have to be done pretending!

Go be fit!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Agree! I'm lacking on pushing myself in excersizing part though... )))) Need a kick *kitten* trainer! )))))
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Well said that man!

The only problem is I've had a life time of conditioning to call healthy eating a 'diet'. It's a hard habit to break.:laugh:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! Everyone I know asks me how Im doing it and when I tell them, they have a glazed look over their eyes and say "oh people still do that?" Everyone assumes you're using a pill or a spray or something.