Can't see a difference

Options
toludc
toludc Posts: 49 Member
so I've been with MFP for 150 days. I've lost 30 pounds and got very much fitter than I was. I've dropped from a size 20 to a 14-16 and lost about 20 inches all over. Some people say they can see I've lost weight. I've got about 20 pounds to go to my goal weight. BUT...I can't see it. I keep reminding myself of the facts listed above to keep me' motivated but it's discouraging not being able to see the changes. Anyone else find this?

Replies

• outersoul
    Options
    I've lost 10lbs in a little over a month. I can't physically see it either but my clothes indicate something different. My clothes fit so much better now.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hear ya! I see the numbers changing but I don't see the changes when I look in the mirror.
    I confronted my dr. about this and she said it's almost like that of an anorexic...we just don't see what we should, mainly because we see ourselves every day. She called it dysmorphic something. She told me when I get closer to goal, if I still am the same, we'll re-evaluate the situation.
    But, hang in there. You're not alone. :)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    trust me if you have before pictures they definately show it im about 18 pounds from my goal weight and right now i dont think ill look the way i want but my pictures kinda say maybe that last bit of fat on my lower stomach will go away :)
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    She called it dysmorphic something.

Could it have been body dysmorphic disorder??? (Sorry, that's my education in psychology coming through)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    She called it dysmorphic something.

Could it have been body dysmorphic disorder??? (Sorry, that's my education in psychology coming through)

It might've been that? This was back around December. Good luck getting me to remember a technical name before all the holidays & stress. lol
  • melhoffman
    melhoffman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to take measurements. For example that way you can see oh ok I lost 3 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips. I've found that I notice the most in my face. You're doing awesome so keep up the good work. Don't get discouraged just because you can't see it.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    another thing to try is belly dancing or Zumba. Relax and love your curves.:smile:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You see yourself everyday, so it may be hard to notice a difference. Try to find a picture of yourself from before you started to lose weight and compare it to how you look now. I'd be suprised if you didn't notice! : )
  • kabullard
    Options
    Take pictures once a week. I've lost 12 pounds and didn't feel different until I looked a Day 1 pic compared to Day 35 pic...my face is HALF the size lol!! Look at my blog and click the website! That's really what's helped me along the way!
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    I think its harder for you to see it but if you gained the weight back you would know the difference. Thats how it went for me in the past.
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    I think its harder for you to see it but if you gained the weight back you would know the difference. Thats how it went for me in the past.
  • mayana2002
    Options
    I hear you... I keep asking my husband: "Baby, am I slimmer?" "Can you feeal anything? Oh is that my rib?" hahahaha I always see myself fatter than what I am in the reality. My bad habit... Even when I am skinny (that was long time ago). I don't really know how my body is in the reality. Sometimes I ask friends when I see somebody curvy on the street if I look like her. I really have no idea....
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    I've lost 12 lbs and my pants are falling off, but so far only one person has actually said that i look like i'm losing weight and i was so happy. She also hasn't seen me in a few months so that helps. Most people (including yourself) see you everyday so you can't really see a change. It's your perception of your body that you see and from the looks of it you've lost so much already. Be happy with it...if you're buying smaller sizes you're looking good. Its the same you...just thinner!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you. I Believe that is one of the reasons I've never kept the weight off. I decided I have a disorder, and in reality I'm losing weight even if I don't see it. I have to do it just for the health benefits because I can't "see" any of the physical changes. It does suck!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. What really worked for me was finding a picture from when I started and taking one right now. I kept wondering if there was any change, well when I saw the pics side by side I really saw the difference.

Try it. It helped me get a new perspective for sure.
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. Everyone says they see the weight lost but i just dont. Not even in pictures which is weird. When i started dieting till the time i joined mfp i lost 10lbs. I wont stop though because i know my body is changing. Just the fact that im more active is great!
  • Jlynn512
    Options
    I did that - the pic I posted was when I was 17 pounds heaveier. With short hair, I am making some progress. All totol I lost 30
  • mmorrison8300
    Options
    It is really discouraging when you feel like youve lost all this weight and no one has noticed, but you lose weight all over your body. So 10 lbs, spread through your whole body isnt really a lot in one designated area. Before pics help a ton!! So do the way your clothes fit. I was at 180, got down to 165 & then got back up to 190 between Thanksgiving & New Year. I knew I had gained some weight back, but didnt realize it was that much till I put on my fav jeans & they didnt fit! Now Im barely back at my starting weight, talk about discouraging! Keep up the good work & if people dont notice, dont let it get you down! Your body & your clothes know better!!
  • Dianielle
    Options
    Please dont get discourage I lost 21lbs in total and 7 of those since ive became a member. Even though you cant physically tell, Im pretty sure your clothes can... I dont know about you, but I sleep better, eat better, and feel good when I work out . I cant physically tell either but Im enjoying the way I FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Its totally normal, I have lost 36lb and I can't tell at all really, only when I see old pics and new pics I think OO look I lost weight. I think the mirror may lie lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!