Trying to lose birth control weight

Options
I had an IUD put in for health reasons last April. It's caused me to gain about 35lbs. I have also been pretty "backed up" and haven't had regular movements. I'm dieting and exercising consistently. I'll be patient to lose the weight, but I'm concerned that I am still "backed up"... despite all this fiber and water I am consuming every day! Has anyone else had this problem? Particularly with the IUD? Any suggestions (aside from to go see my doc...I have no insurance...)

Thanks!

Replies

• Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about an IUD. But, you can have too much fiber. If I were you, I'd go see your doctor about it. And maybe take a taxative. Not safe at all to be backed up. Could cause other issues. I would totally go see your doc. And coffee helps me.
  • QueenHart22
    Options
    The IUD is progesterone based. Our gastrointestinal lining consists of smooth muscle. Progesterone has a tendency to slow down smooth muscle. Hence, the backing up and impaction. I also thinks that gives food more time to be absorbed...including fat. This is what I learned in Nursing School. As soon as I knew that, I had my IUD removed. My clothes fit better and then I got pregnant ;-)
  • momma85
    Options
    i use laxatives (mild ones... miralax.... natural-ish ones.. etc..) .. always had that problem since i was a kid... also i started taking double dose of fiber gummies since i think maybe my fiber intake is low... allegedly people need 20 to 30 grams? that's what my sis said.. i think she actually saw a dr... anyway good luck... :)
  • etron
    etron Posts: 33
    Options
    Queenhart... That makes sense. Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately I need to leave it in, but at least I have an idea of what's going on. It hit me like a freight train...gaining all that weight so suddenly. I couldn't believe it that I could go from a size 4/5 to a 10/11 in just a few months. I love the IUD but I strongly caution anyone who needs to lose weight if they want to get one put in.