Calories doing the same exercise

Options
can anyone tell me if your calories should remain about the same each time you do an exercise/activity or as you get more used to it do you burn less calories. I'm referring to zumba.. Thanks

Replies

• cgodbee
    Options
    Well the calories stay the same every time I get on the eliptical, so I assume it stays the same.... I love Zumba also just push yourself! Good luck
  • GettingThisDone100
    Options
    From my experience it varies, the same song list can burn 300 calories one day and 450+ a few days later. It all depends on how hard you're working.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    I would be curious to hear answers to this as well. I use my exercise bike twice a day every day. Each time 10 miles. My bike is a low end bike and doesn't account for weight. It always reads that I burned 350 calories for each session based on distance. It didn't matter whether I was 327 or 261. Does your calorie burn basically stay the same based on the routine/distance or should it be affected by how long it takes to race through 10 miles and weight?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard you're busting your *kitten* and how long you do it, etc.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    for something like zumba it might not stay the same. my HRM will read differently sometimes depending on how much i put in to the dancing. one day i did it for 25 minutes and burned off 393 calories and one day i did it for 30 minutes and only burned off 238....but i also noticed i wasnt doing the moves as intensly. for something like the treadmill, if you go at the same pace and incline every time it will usually remain the same...hope this helps!
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and find that some days I burn more than others. It really depends on how hard you are working each day as that will vary :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The more often you do the same exercise you will burn less if you are going the same time and intensity. In order to burn the same as you use to, you either have to do it longer, or at a higher intensity. Once you get use to it your Heart rate will not get as high, which means you burn less calories. MFP does not take this into account when calculating calories burned that is why the best estimates come from a HRM.
  • Monicamarkt
    Monicamarkt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The more efficient your body gets at an exercise the less calories you burn. This is the premise behind muscle confusion and changing up your workout routine. If it starts to feel easier that's because your heart and lungs and body is getting used to it. Change up your workout to a different type and you'll have to work harder. The burn is also based on your weight and weather or not you are male or female. The elliptical calorie burns are garbage and you should deduct about 20% from the total burned.
    --BS in Exercise Science
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    for something like zumba it might not stay the same. my HRM will read differently sometimes depending on how much i put in to the dancing. one day i did it for 25 minutes and burned off 393 calories and one day i did it for 30 minutes and only burned off 238....but i also noticed i wasnt doing the moves as intensly. for something like the treadmill, if you go at the same pace and incline every time it will usually remain the same...hope this helps!

It will not remain the same on the treadmill, you will have to work harder (speed, incline, or time) each time in order to burn the same amount of calories as it takes more effort to increase your heart rate the fitter you become and the more you do a certain exercise your body get efficient at it and will burn less doing it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Calories are a measure of energy.

As you get in better shape your body will become more efficent, and therefore take less energy to do that same amount of "work".

Your intesnity level will make a difference also.

This is why I don't ever do the same exact exersice for longer than a few weeks. I'm always trying to lift heavier, add/remove a routine, run longer/faster.
  • shanhawk
    Options
    In my experience, the healthier or more in shape you get the harder it is to maintain a high calorie burn for the same workout, At least with cardio for me. I think its because the healthier and more in shape I get, my body doesn't have to work as hard to do the same exercises.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have never burned the exact same amount of calories doing any exercise, since I bought my HRM. Not even on a treadmill it depends on how much effort you put into your workout. HRMs are a person trying to lose weights best friend
  • Sandra_M
    Sandra_M Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those replies and I am using a HRM which is the reason I asked because there was over 100 calories of a difference but it could be as people have said above - 1. I am not putting as much effort it to it or 2. I am getting more used the moves therefore not burning as many calories. Think I will try to change my cardio exercise a bit so as not to be repeatedly doing the same thing. Thanks for your replies it's always good to get other people's views.
  • maineislandgirl
    maineislandgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! It was a great question I have wondered myself!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the healthier or more in shape you get the harder it is to maintain a high calorie burn for the same workout, At least with cardio for me. I think its because the healthier and more in shape I get, my body doesn't have to work as hard to do the same exercises.

I agree with this... I always go for at least 450 cardio calories when I do the treadmill or elliptical. If I don't up the intensity as I lose weight, it takes me longer to get there. Less fat to move so doesn't take as many calories to move it, lol.