Lowering Cholesterol

sicembears
sicembears Posts: 77 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I recently discovered my cholesterol levels are on the higher side with my good cholesterol lower than normal. To be honest, having a family history of heart disease, it was the wake up call I needed to get serious about diet/exercise. I'm interested to know if anyone has had success at lowering their numbers, how long it took, if genetics hinder the level of success... Well, any information would be greatly appreciated. Much success to all of you on your journey and thanks in advance for responses :)

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Yes! I've had great success with getting to healthy blood lipid levels. I recommend going to the RealAge site, taking their "real age" test and at the end they'll give you a report analyzing your diet and lifestyle along with recommendations for what to change. They also have a part (I think it's during or after the test) where you can check boxes for more info on health and nutrition subjects that interest you. They'll send daily email tips and links to articles about whatever you select. I've found this to be tremendously helpful because they give it out in short quick bursts of info, and then provide links to related subjects that you can follow up on if you're interested.

What I found was that I had to reduce the amount of saturated fat in my diet, boost the mono and polyunsaturated fats, and get lots of exercise. But by golly it worked!!! My doctor was thrilled - no meds, just diet and exercise, and I'm down to this:

Blood sugar: 74
    Total Cholesterol: 148
    Triglycerides: 44
    HDL: 69
    LDL: 70

Go for it!
  • jdkillin
    jdkillin Posts: 2 Member
    Cut out all red meat, pork, eggs, etc. Stick to a higher protein diet; chicken, fish, green vegetables. Also take 2000 - 3000mg of Fish Oil a day (the Omega 3 will help raise your "good" cholesterol level). I was predominately a weight lifter, but just cut back on weights and switched to more cardio. I am currently doing Shaun T's Insanity work out. it's pretty intense. All max interval core training. I burn between 750-1100 calories in an hour. I have found that a 1650 calorie diet is enough fuel for me.

If you haven't exercised much, I wouldn't recommend jumping into Insanity, but definitely incorporate some sort of cardio exercise. Good Luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and gout all run in my family. I got them all and I'm only 28. I went in for a diabetic coma + acute pancreatitis just last April, and they also discovered I had a fatty liver. When I survived, I made the choice to eat whole grain and wheat everything, that included brown rice, incorporating dark leafy greens, lean meats, no shellfish, increased water intake, and increasing my physical activity once my body got used to doing a routine. Literally, a complete lifestyle change.

I'm pretty much healthy enough to say, I no longer have any of those symptoms, since June of last year. I'm still considered diabetic because I can always have high blood sugar much easier now from straining my pancreas, but I'm asymptomatic from any of it. I have the kind of rebellious nature to go against anything that gets in my way, genetics included. But it's because of my hardheadedness that drove my motivation benefit my life, rather than hinder it.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Yes. A few years ago, my doctor told me that my cholesterol was high (220+) for the first time ever. He told me I'd need to start on cholesterol lowering medicine. I asked if I could try diet and exercise and he said, yes, but that he'd have to retest me in six months. I went back six months later, and almost 60 pounds lighter and he was stunned. He checked my numbers and they were completely reversed -- my overall cholesterol was way down and way within the healthy zone and my HDL (the good stuff) was a 74! He asked what I had done. I told him that I dieted and exercised like he told me to. His response was, "Nobody ever does what I tell them to do." LOL

He spent another 20 minutes with me asking me about the details of my diet and exercise. Just healthy eating in proper portions. Eliminated commercial beef and started eating only grass-fed Longhorn beef which is lower in cholesterol than even white turkey breast meat (easy because we raise organic, grass fed Longhorns on our ranch ... I was just lazy and was buying beef at the store). My doctor was excited and said he'd like to buy this beef from us! :happy: Eliminated animal fats and adopted only the healthier fats (olive oil, etc.). Bon voyage butter (well, almost always ... I make an exception for the really naughty but delicious European butter with sea salt). Tracked my food and when I hit the calorie "stop sign" at the end of the day, I stopped eating. And started exercising, working my back to being a runner. It was magical and rather quick considering how long I'd let myself go. Geez ...

It can be done!! That said, for some people, meds are the only way to reduce their cholesterol. Exercise and diet doesn't work well for everyone. You'll have to consult your doctor to determine the best approach for you. No reason not to approach this with healthy eating and exercise. That's ALL good, even if you ultimately need to get on cholesterol lowering meds.

Good luck!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and gout all run in my family. I got them all and I'm only 28. I went in for a diabetic coma + acute pancreatitis just last April, and they also discovered I had a fatty liver. When I survived, I made the choice to eat whole grain and wheat everything, that included brown rice, incorporating dark leafy greens, lean meats, no shellfish, increased water intake, and increasing my physical activity once my body got used to doing a routine. Literally, a complete lifestyle change.

I'm pretty much healthy enough to say, I no longer have any of those symptoms, since June of last year. I'm still considered diabetic because I can always have high blood sugar much easier now from straining my pancreas, but I'm asymptomatic from any of it. I have the kind of rebellious nature to go against anything that gets in my way, genetics included. But it's because of my hardheadedness that drove my motivation benefit my life, rather than hinder it.

Way to go! You rock. Very inspirational!!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    My fiancee was told at the age of 30 that if he did not get his cholesterol under control, he would have a stroke. His good cholesterol was ridiculously low. He started taking Simcor, prescribed by the doctor, quit smoking, and takes Omega-3 vitamins everyday. He went back 6 months later and the Dr. was completely impressed at how much better his levels were. Also, Dr. Oz says Krill oil is the best type of fish oil out there. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    This goes against what a lot of people think, so I took the time to site sources.

A July 2007 study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology reported that diets high in bad carbohydrates increase a woman's risk for developing heart disease. In a commentary within the same journal, Dr. Frank Hu, of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, explained that such research underscores the impact of bad carbs on cholesterol and emphasizes the need to go beyond limiting fat intake as a strategy for heart health.

Instead, Dr. Hu recommends several steps:

* Choose whole grain foods over refined grains.
    * Avoid sugar-sweetened beverages, which are the source of almost half the added sugar in the American diet.
    * Replace carbohydrates (especially sugars and processed flour) with healthy proteins such as beans, peas and nuts, as well as unsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and other vegetable oils.

Low Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol (LDL) -- "Bad Cholesterol"
    Although there is some controversy on this point, LDL cholesterol is considered "bad" in terms of heart disease risk. The relationship between low-carb diets and LDL cholesterol is more complex than with triglycerides and HDL cholesterol. There are some studies in which LDL is reduced on a low-carb diet, some in which it doesn't change, and some in which it goes up. But there is one thing about LDL changes which is consistent with low-carb diets, and that is that it causes a change in cholesterol particle size.

What has particle size got to do with it? Evidence is accumulating that the size of cholesterol particles has a lot to do with risk for heart disease. Basically, the smaller the particles are, the greater the risk -- it is thought that perhaps the small particles lodge in the walls of blood vessels more easily.

The good news for those of us following a low-carb way of eating is that studies of diet and cholesterol particle size have consistently shown that low-carb diets produce larger-sized cholesterol particles. However, a larger-sized particle weighs more than a smaller one. When LDL does go up on a low-carb diet, it may be due to the larger particles, since weight is what's being measured. (A total cholesterol of 200, for example, means 200 mg per deciliter.)

On the other hand, high-carb diets seem to produce a greater percentage of smaller cholesterol particles in some people. So the total LDL goes down (particles are smaller, so the total is lighter.) While the reading may be low, it can be deceiving as risk goes up in those cases.

A good way to sort out risk? LDL particle size seems to be strongly correlated with triglyceride level (high triglycerides go with small particle size and vice versa). So if your triglycerides are low, your LDL particles are probably larger.

The Bottom Line
    Reducing carbohydrate in the diet generally has a positive effect on both HDL and LDL blood cholesterol and triglycerides. Still, there are different reasons for high cholesterol in different people. As with almost everything going on in our bodies, there is much individual variation. There is almost certainly a strong genetic component to the all the different correlations between blood lipids and risk for disease.

Sources:

Lamarche, Benoit, et al. “A prospective, population-based study of low density lipoprotein particle size as a risk factor for ischemic heart disease in men.” Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2001 Aug;17(8):859-65.

In March the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a meta-analysis—which combines data from several studies—that compared the reported daily food intake of nearly 350,000 people against their risk of developing cardiovascular disease over a period of five to 23 years. The analysis, overseen by Ronald M. Krauss, director of atherosclerosis research at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, found no association between the amount of saturated fat consumed and the risk of heart disease.

The finding joins other conclusions of the past few years that run counter to the conventional wisdom that saturated fat is bad for the heart because it increases total cholesterol levels. That idea is “based in large measure on extrapolations, which are not supported by the data,” Krauss says.

One problem with the old logic is that “total cholesterol is not a great predictor of risk,” says Meir Stampfer, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health. Although saturated fat boosts blood levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, it also increases “good” HDL cholesterol. In 2008 Stampfer co-authored a study in the New England Journal of Medicine that followed 322 moderately obese individuals for two years as they adopted one of three diets: a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet based on American Heart Association guidelines; a Mediterranean, restricted-calorie diet rich in vegetables and low in red meat; and a low-carbohydrate, nonrestricted-calorie diet. Although the subjects on the low-carb diet ate the most saturated fat, they ended up with the healthiest ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol and lost twice as much weight as their low-fat-eating counterparts.

I'm not saying do it this way, or don't do it this way - that's something you'll want to research yourself and discuss with your doctor, but there are two sides of this coin. I actually believe that both sides will work for both lowering Cholesterol and overall weight loss. What I don't believe works, is going back and forth between systems. Pick a high fat or a low fat path and stick to it and allow the results to come.

Best of luck to you and do a bunch of reading - there is so much great stuff out there!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    I recently found out that all of my cholesterol ranges are back to normal. As some other people have suggested, I eat grassfed beef, lean pork, and chicken, along with lots of beans and fresh veggies. I've cut out almost all processed foods, and replaced butter (always real, never margarine...still to this day) with olive oil in my cooking (still bake only with butter). I love eggs, but I only eat them once a week (egg whites are fine, but I'm not much of a fan). This may sound silly, but I also have some really good, high quality non-stick pans that make using butter (or any oil) almost unnecessary. I haven't put any sort of grease (even PAM) in my scrambled eggs in years. I track my cholesterol through mfp and, with the exception of egg days, I'm always under. Best of luck...it can be done!
  • Wow! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts regarding lowering cholesterol. This is the number one reason why I joined this site. I have currently started trying to excerise and eat healthier. My doctor says that the next time I go that I will have to start taking cholesterol medicine if I don't get it under control. I have started taking vitimins, fish oil, and also red yeast rice pills. A nurse told me that Red Yeast pills were great.....Has anyone else heard of this? Also, High cholesterol runs in my family too...My dad, my brother and my sister. I am really excited about this website...I think it is great. Thank you everyone Oh yeah...I forgot one thing, I have been cigarette free for 3 months!!! yay me
  • sicembears
    You guys are all so sweet and have given me some really great info. Don't be surprised if I send each of u friend requests :) Have a wonderful rest of the week.
  • sicembears
    Congrats to you!

Wow! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts regarding lowering cholesterol. This is the number one reason why I joined this site. I have currently started trying to excerise and eat healthier. My doctor says that the next time I go that I will have to start taking cholesterol medicine if I don't get it under control. I have started taking vitimins, fish oil, and also red yeast rice pills. A nurse told me that Red Yeast pills were great.....Has anyone else heard of this? Also, High cholesterol runs in my family too...My dad, my brother and my sister. I am really excited about this website...I think it is great. Thank you everyone Oh yeah...I forgot one thing, I have been cigarette free for 3 months!!! yay me
    [/quote]
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

Way to go! You rock. Very inspirational!!

Thank you. Defiant and rebellious. Great motivating factors for me. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.