Best Cardio Machine

Options
So I typically go on the elliptical for 60 minutes and then run on the treadmill for 20. I know its good to switch it up so I'm looking for suggestions. It would be great if I could run for 60 minutes but that's not really in the cards for right now and I need a way to burn about 800-1,000 calories in about an hour and a half. Any Suggestions?

Replies

• yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Cardio kickboxing turbo jam...amazing workout, it's fun, and the music really gets you going.
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    Does it have to be a machine?
    If you get yourself a kettle bell, jump rope and some weights you could sprint for 30 seconds and then switch from calisthenics (pushups, sit ups, lunges,squats) to jumping rope, to weights/kettle bell exercises then back to sprint again. This will kick your butt. I did this type of workout to lose 60 pounds after my son was born and continue to do a less intense version to this day. You will being to develop tighter skin, beautifully defined muscles and no boredom!
    Hope this helps...
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    Does it have to be a machine?
    If you get yourself a kettle bell, jump rope and some weights you could sprint for 30 seconds and then switch from calisthenics (pushups, sit ups, lunges,squats) to jumping rope, to weights/kettle bell exercises then back to sprint again. This will kick your butt. I did this type of workout to lose 60 pounds after my son was born and continue to do a less intense version to this day. You will being to develop tighter skin, beautifully defined muscles and no boredom!
    Hope this helps...

I usually do 45- 60 minutes very intense and then some cool down yoga/plank/pilates type of excersizes for 25-35 minutes.
  • xstealth12x
    xstealth12x Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for low-impact, I like the stationary bikes. I'm sorta in the same boat, and run as much as I can, but then I'll hop on a bike and go until there's a pool of sweat under me
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Commercial grade rowing machine - I will burn calories at a rate of 700-1000 per hour, depending on my effort, on my Concept2. It's a no-impact, strength training cardio machine.
  • luke_863413
    Options
    I loves me some rowing machine.
  • inpaperclouds
    Options
    the rotating staircase. it kicks my butt
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical as well and have used 8 pound ankle weights (16 pounds total) and 5 pound wrist weights (10 pounds total) during the elliptical workout. Definitely adds a little more resistance to the existing workout without necessarily adding time. The difference in HRM with and without using weights was about 125-200 calories extra, depending on the length and intensity of the elliptical workout. Plus the weights are cheap. You wouldn't necessarily have to buy a new piece of exercise equipment.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The best cardio equipment bar none is your dvd player. Insanity is the best cardio thing I've ever seen. It's all body weight and you can push to your max when you're just starting and then a higher max when you're in shape. No matter how fit I get, I can't find anything that kicks my *kitten* like Insanity.

Best of luck!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use the cross ramp elliptical and treadmill. I always use an incline when I go on the treadmill and it tends to burn a lot of calories.
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance you need to look into Zumba Fitness. I go to the classes and just recently ordered the dvd's to do at home. I track my own calories with my Polar watch and with Zumba I have hit 900-1000 calories in just 1 hour.
    Not to mention it's lots of fun.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    the days i'm feeling lazy i love grabbing a book and going and reading while i work out on the bike. pump up the resistance and go!
  • kno337
    Options
    The rotating stair machine for sure!!! when i am short on time i hop on there for the best burn!!