how to count a calorie?

Options
if the packet or jar doesnt directly state the amount of calories how do i work out how many calories there are ?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, I probbaly would not have purchased the product if it did not tell me that info. Try looking for it online.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of food it is. If we're talking about fruits and veggies you can find those in the database.
    Most foods are in the database actually.
    If I happen to have a food item that has no nutritional value printed on the packaging (which is rare) I will just do a quick internet search.
    If you can't find it on here you should most definitely be able to find it on another site.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Was it something homemade?

All packaged foods that are sold in stores are required to have nutrition information on their package. They aren't legally allowed to be sold otherwise.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    they have nutritional info on them but do not say what the calories are, do i count the energy kj as the number of calories? wich looks to me to be way higher than what i would expect the calories to be
  • thadeous
    Options
    you can do a google search to find a kilojoules-to-kilocalories converter. it's just a different way to measure energy content.
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you divide the kj by 4.2 it will give you the calorie value.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    cool thanks so much for that :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    Ive been trying to double check what i put in my food diary because some people have been putting the Kj in to the food data base instead of the calorie value.
    The kj is way way waymore than the calorie value .. ive been using the formula where you divide the kj by 4.2
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    i had to go and change a couple the first day i was on here ... this is easy... just go to my foods click on the food and then press edit, you can then change the kj to calories count.
    It will change it on the food data base too. but you might have to delete then re put the food into your diary.