Slim Fast Shakes?

Options
Wondering if anybody else has tried the Slim Fast Shake diet and had any success with it? I drink one for breakfast, have a snack of beef jerky ( or fruit ) in between, another for lunch, another snack, and then a Healthy Choice Brand Dinner. This is my first week of this plan so I'm hoping it works well. I do 45 minutes of cardio on an elliptical with the resistance set to 6-7 so I burn around 700-800+ calories a workout, variying between push-ups and sit-ups before and after the cardio.

Any thoughts? Does this sound good to lose weight or should I be doing anything different??

Replies

• facerme
    Options
    slim fast never worked for me. always left me hungrier. and less energy for the gym etc.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've done it but the minute you start to eat properly the weight just piles back on, its not sustainable, Better to train youself to eat the right foods and make it a lifestyle change
  • shell_83
    Options
    I know people who slim fast has worked for but I have been taking them but only once a day and I am finding that it's not working. But everyone is different... Good luck either way =)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I dont know how many calories are in a shake, but I would of thought you are burning off almost as much as you eat, that can't be good.
  • sydhager
    Options
    It sounds to me like you may be eating too FEW calories. It's my understanding that could hinder your weight loss. 1200 - 1500 cals. may work better. Good luck.
  • gemsie83
    Options
    I am doing it now.

Its quite slow for me but I am starting too see results (3 weeks in) I currently weight 145lb and want to get to 126lb.

I am excercising 3 x a week at the gym.

To be honest I am used to the shakes now and it is saving me ££ on lunches for work.

My advice would be to try it, it seems to work for some and not others
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you want to use shakes for meals, I would strongly recommend using shakes that are much higher in protein. You'll get more nutritional bang-for-your-buck than with Slim Fast, and you won't be as hungry. The higher protein shakes may have more calories, but with your working out, it seems like that's what you need.

You can get shakes that you mix from powder, or ready-to-drink shakes. You have to try different kinds to see which work best for you.

Remember, your goal should not be losing weight; it should be losing weight and keeping it off longer term. You don't want to do a crash diet, then have to deal with the regain later.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    i tried them because I have an issue with never being hungry and appetite issues for the past couple of month.I thought I could use them for when I just couldnt eat to still et something in my stomach.They were the most horribel things I ever tried.They are chalky and gave me really really bad stomach aches.Just icky
  • stereomad
    Options
    i dont see the point in them in all honesty as the calories in a shake you can have just as much calories if you eat sensibly.

for example for Breakfast this morning I have Fruit n Fibre with Milk which was actually less calories than a slim fast shake plus it keeps me less hungry for longer.