Man-Friendly Meals

Options
I have a really hard time finding meals that are healthy that the whole family will eat. My husband complains about whole wheat anything, anything that doesn't have meat in it and anything low fat. Does anyone else have this problem? What meals have you found that your husbands don't complain about too much.

Replies

• MawJ
    MawJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way. Wish I could find healthy meals that he would enjoy as much as steak, potatoes, spaghetti, etc.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I make a few concessions- I saute my veggies on the side, I make my whole wheat pasta serving in the steamer with the regular pasta in the pot- things that are easy and whatever that's fine. But at a certain point hubby either needs to grow up and either make his own food or pipe down. Guess what?- you're cooking, you get to decide what to cook.
  • errysmart
    errysmart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you should try speghetti squash. It is a great way to sneak in some more veggies and it is super easy to cook.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Make it the way you want. He will eat it.
    Tell him to shut up or cook for himself!
    Haahaa
    I wonder why I'm single......
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think your husband needs to wake up and realize that you are trying to help everyone be healthier! :laugh:

I say that partially in jest... but seriously, if you're doing the cooking, he should be willing to eat what you make. If he doesnt like it, he needs to take a more active role in meal prep.

There's nothing wrong with eating things like steak, potatoes, etc. - they can be part of a *perfectly* healthy diet... just not every day! I try to mix-up my meals between "traditional" dinners like that and other meals like spaghetti made from spaghetti squash, home-made veggie burgers, home-made soups/chili's (turkey chili, etc.), pizza made with a cauliflower crust, etc. It's a matter of compromise and variety. We have 5 adults living in my household - 4 men and 1 woman (not all of whom are trying to lose weight), and we are all happy with the above mentioned routine.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am not cooking seperate meals for everyone, so he either eats or starves! I made baked parm a few weeks ago and he said: "baked parm is better than no parm!"
  • veganbird
    Options
    I have this problem too. When I cook, he either eats what I fixed or eats something else later. I like to eat much earlier than he does. It is frustrating when he won't eat anything healthy.
  • 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am wheat and gluten free and got fed up having to cook and buy different foods, especially breads, pastas, and making a roux sauce. My husband has no clue that for the past three months now..he has been on a gluten free diet..:bigsmile: Dont tell him, he wont notice the difference:laugh:
    he loves "my special" garlic and coriander naan breads :happy: ..one day I might confess, meanwhile, saving me a whole lotta time and trouble !
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. He does eat the food, but he complains and it bugs me. Like many of you said, I should just tell him to cook for himself and get myself a bunch of lean cuisines.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    long story but you will see how it ties in to your issue: :wink:

The Worst Job I Ever Had (Moose Turd Pie!)
    Utah Phillips

I'll tell you about the worst job I ever had. It was working for the Santa Fe Rail Road south of Las Vegas, Nevada. That's the old Mormon Muddy Mission, way out in what the Navajos called the "boonies", out in the desert. The job was gandy-dancing.

They run a box car out there that's a bunk car; you sleep in it and it's got bunks that are 18 inches apart. Then you got a tool car with your tamping irons, your tongs, your double jack hammers, and your spikes, and all of the equipment to do the job. And then you got a cook car. There's no restaurants anyplace, so you got a cook car; pots and pans, a coal or wood burning stove, and a long table down the middle to eat at. The only thing they don't hire is a cook That's because they're cheap; saves them money. The rule is that in the crew they're supposed to pick among their own members, who's going to be the cook. They don't try to do this sensibly, like draw lots or decide who the best cook is. What they do is wait to find out who *****es and whines and pisses and moans the most about the cooking, and they say "all right wise-guy, you think you can do better, you get to be the cook". Well, that was me, see! Ol' alligator mouth, new man on the crew ; and that was the worst food I'd ever had. I mean it was otter water, comes out of an otter; terrible terrible stuff. Some people think that's a delicacy, but I thought it was garbage. So I complained, so they said "ok, wiseguy, you get to be the cook". That made me mad! Because I didn't want to cook, but I knew if anybody complained about my cooking, they were going to have to cook.

Armed with that knowledge, I sallied forth over the muddy river. I was walking around among the sheet grass and the bunch grass, and I looked down, and there was just a hell of a big moose turd. Biggest damn moose turd; that was a real steamer! I looked down at that meadow wafer, and I said to myself "Self, I'm going to bake up a big moose turd pie." Because if anybody complained about my cooking, they were going to have to cook. So I tipped that pasture pastry up on edge. I got my **** together, so to speak. And I started rolling it down towards the old cook car.

BALUUMP! BALUUMP!

I got it down there and leaned it up against the side and I climbed up in the cook car, and I baked a hell of a big pie shell. And I baked that moose turd in as slick as you please. And I cribbed it with my thumbs, and laid strips of dough across it, & garnished it with a sprig of parsley, a little paprika. It was beautiful; poetry on a plate. And I served it up for dessert, waiting for the first hint of a complaint. Well, this giant dude comes in, about 5 foot 40; I mean he was big. Throwed himself down like a fool on a stool. Picked up his fork. Took a big bite of that moose turd pie. Well, he threw down his fork, and he let out a bellow, and he yelled..

"My God! That's Moose Turd Pie! ... It's Good, Though!"
  • kanakike8
    kanakike8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    These have been my tips to help me deal with my family's eating:
    Check out "Deceptively Delicious." It's a great cookbook with tips and tricks on how to be sneaky when incorporating more veggies into meals. Also, make sure there are plenty of veggies at the table, even if you're the only one eating them. But try different kinds of veggies and different ways of preparing them: "fried" eggplant sticks are delicious dipped in spaghetti sauce, leftover roasted bell peppers can be used to top burgers or in stirfry, combine some of South Beach Diet's mashed cauliflower "potatoes" with real mashed potatoes, make healthier home made pizza (loaded with fresh veggies) instead of delivery.
    Making the switch from regular pasta and white rice to whole wheat and brown rice is difficult. I'm still having trouble myself. Try buying Barilla Plus for awhile. It tastes really good, is better than regular white, and may help stubborn eaters convert to whole wheat a little easier. I also came across a recipe recently for Beef Stroganoff, using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I find the taste almost identical and I bet no one would ever know. (I would post it here but I can't find it. Sorry) The taste is actually so rich and creamy in dishes that I've started adding it on veggies, in cream sauces, even in my homemade mac and cheese. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    My husband is one of those meat & potato, can eat anything he wants & not gain an ounce kind of guys. He's currently overseas, so I don't have to deal with the drama of the food issue yet, BUT I'm waiting for it.

A little suggestion might be to introduce him to different cuisines.. My husband used to eat TONS of junk food & fast food, and it seemed like he wanted to live off of steak, mashed potatoes, and mac & cheese. He got introduced to Middle Eastern/Mediterranean foods (which are very veggie heavy) and he fell in love. Who knew I could make a meat & potatoes man happy with a huge plate full of veggies & one little kabob skewer with 4 little chunks of lamb and more grilled veggies?

Then if all else fails... A) "You eat what you're served, or you do without." or B) Have fun cooking your own meal; and when you're done, make sure the kitchen is spotless! :)
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    I haven't seen Greek Yogurt before, but haven't looked for it. Is it available and most stores?
  • ImaHomer
    Options
    I have the same problem with my wife. I do all the cooking and she does the complaining. she either eats it or she doesnt. she thinks some of my recipes are bland, but I get complaints from my little boys if they are too flavorful! I think she misses the fat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I menu plan.

About once a week or so I might try something new, then we'll agree on how to adapt it to our tastes. We have about a dozen "standard" recipes that we both enjoy, and which are healthy enough for me, and satisfy his manly requirements!

Favourites are poached chicken with boiled potatoes and veggies, but he really enjoyed a pasta with prawn and courgette meal I did last night. He's also fond of a big ole stir-fry. He's not averse to cooking himself, either, so it's very much a shared task.

But the key is communication - sit down together and agree in advance what's on the menu.
  • MrsDuv
    Options
    My husband would not go near asparagus, sweet pots or broc. He said they tasted awful but when we first got married he would try anything i made at least once. I started roasting my veggie's (little olive oil, sea salt, pepper) and he loves them!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of ground turkey for meatloaf, chili, meatballs and burgers and my husband has no problem with that. I do stir fry and baked chicken or lean pork chops. But my hubby is not real picky. He eats what I put in front of him, if he doesn't go back for seconds then I know he doesn't like it...so it's helping him lose too! Ha-ha!
  • meeeshell
    Options
    I'm lucky I guess, my husband is being so supportive. However I do make some meals for him, maybe you can alternate days and modify your portion. For example, my husband loves his taco/Gordita night. So I make his, and then take my gr beef and wrap it in a low cal tortilla with the lettuce and tom and a 1/2 oz of cheese or I add broccoli slaw b/c its filling. Maybe there could be some compromise. My husband does'nt need to loose any weight so he is definately compromising for me ;)
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Have you ever made Shakshuka? It's a middle eastern dish that is uber low fat but can tehn be plumped up with thick slices of bread, babaganoush, salads etc.
    Here's a really good recipe... try it, it's awesome!!!
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Every night now I make a protein and vegetables and both him and the teenager are happy and have no complaints. Try cornflake coated chicken with a huge salad and nice creamy dressing. ( dressing try olive oil and cider vinegar with djon mustard and a little mayo or vegenaise, stick all in jar and shake). Grilled salmon and green beans/ broccoli/ bok choy. Lamb steaks with cauliflower cheese ( steamed cauliflower with white sauce made with low fat milk, sprinkle cheese on top before grilling). For the teenager I make sure she has some carbs for breakfast to give her energy at school... and hubby has his fix at work....