Homemade Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• monstertwelve
    Options
    Also...lol . I am new to the web site...what does BUMPING mean?:embarassed:

when you bump a thread...it pushes it to the top of the section and marks that you have replyed to it.
    we do this so that we can find it easier and can refer back to it!!!!

thanks for the recipe!!!!!
  • SweetOrganics
    SweetOrganics Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found nutritional info for whey here: http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/100/1112/Food.aspx I would imagine you would subtract the info for every cup of whey you drained off.
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sweetorganics...I just gave up and used the Fage 2% yogurt calorie totals..I 'll check out the whey calories(and subtract)!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. I'm going to start making my own yogurt (as soon as I save up enough containers from store-bought yogurt, ha!) and I was wondering this too.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Found the website! Love the easiness of crockpot cooking!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
    thanks
  • mra367
    mra367 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep, greek yogurt is too easy to make at home. Only drawback, it is so good, I'm going through 10 gallons of milk per week! Still, I also have not found a calorie calculation. Unstrained would be easy, the same as milk per cup. A few tips I have learned in making yogurt. The crockpot bowl holds a whole gallon of milk, and reaches 175 degrees in the microwave in 23 minutes on high. Since hot liquid freezes faster than cold(Mpemba Effect), it will cool to 120 degrees in the refrigerator in about 30 minutes. probably faster in the freezer, but I don't have the room. A quarter cup of yogurt set out at the start will be room temp when your milk reaches 120. I use a probe thermometer, and take out at 120 thinking it will coast down to 115 from being in the frig. put the crock lid on, wrap with towel, and put it in the oven, with bulb on, for the day, or over night
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump--love Greek yogurt, may have to try making my own!
  • SockSaver
    SockSaver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love love love, I use basically the same method , but I use 3 cups of powdered non fat milk and enough water to equal 2 quarts. This is then put in my slow cooker. Heated to 180 degrees, cooled to 115- 120. 2 tablespoons of yogurt added to 2 cups of cooled milk then that is stirred into the rest. Cover with big towel and put in my oven overnight with the light on ( to keep a little warmth ). Warm yogurt in am. Take out 2 tablespoons of fresh yogurt for next batch. Greek yogurt is just strained regular yogurt, so I strain mine thru a folded floursack towel till I have 2 cups of whey. (These towels are kept OUT of the ordinary kitchen rotation of towels.)

An important money saver here: buy a good starter, one with as many kinds of active culture bacteria on the label as you can find in your store. Use the 2 table spoon out of it to start your first batch. Freeze the rest in 2 tablespoon amounts. eventually the yogurt seems to lose its punch and a new starter is right there in your freezer.

Whey that is strained off can be used in many ways. To replace water in cooking or with a little powdered milk added in things that would use milk like waffles. I make 2 quarts of yogurt a week, and have done for well over a year. And yes I've had failures, usually cause I wasn't paying attention.
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make my own greek yogurt too, and had the same question regarding how to 'count' it. I don't think you can ever be sure of your accuracy (depends on how thick you got it, etc.), but I think the estimate using store bought is a good choice.