Need Help Substituting foods !!

Options
The foods that I really need to substitute are pizza and chocolate. I have changed the fried chicken to grilled chicken. I just need healthier foods to eat instead of pizza and chocolate. Oh, and cheese burgers. I do put lettace on my cheeseburgers,tomatoes I am not a big fan of. I put lite mayonaise, ketchup, mustard, 4 pickles, American cheese, and lettace on my burgers. Sometimes I cook the burgers in Steak sauce and it tastes good !! Please, if you know of substitutes for these please let me know. Thanks.

Replies

• jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I dont know if sub food is the place to start not eating things u want just makes you want them more. Have a burger this week make it smaller than the ones u use to make. add lots of veg on the side dont use the cheese cant really taste it anyway..Have pizza next week one slice not two or 3. Work the calories into your day. Dont look at this journey as a diet its a way to be healther.. we can eat what ever we want sometimes not all the time. we can eat what ever we want in moderation not as much as we want. good luck.
  • JessicaBarett
    Options
    I always try to practice moderation instead of substitution. I never deprive myself of something I like.

Why don't you try pizza like Dr. Oetker's. Alternatively, Whole Foods has dough and sauce you can buy to bake your own (it's really yummy!). Thin crust is good, and keep away from things like pepperoni that just add fat to your food.

As for chocolate, maybe try something with chocolate in it so you still get that satisfaction? Christie Thinsations are good, and you would get the chocolate but it would be in moderation and a reasonable serving size.

Good luck!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make a pizza using the sandwich flats and crust or even a portabella mushroom cap. Add a little sauce, some healthy toppings, seasoning, low fat mozz cheese. Tasty.
  • AMBrody
    Options
    When I was on WW I made my own pizza just so I could have eat it. I took a low fat, whole wheat pita (whole, not halved), tomato paste (seasoned to taste), veggies (bell peppers, onions, etc.), and a low fat cheese. I would spread about 2 Tbsp of seasoned paste on the pita, add the veggies, and two pinches of cheese. Baked it for about 10-15 minutes. It was a personal pizza worth about 6 points.:smile:
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, I would start with portion control. A smaller burger, or fewer slices of pizza. If you make your own hamburger patties, that's easy enough. If you make your own pizza, you can control how much dough goes into the crust, how much cheese goes on the pizza, etc., and that will reduce your calories without sacrificing flavor.

For my chocolate fix, I have a dark chocolate zone bar every day for breakfast. Chocolate starts my day off right, especially high-protein chocolate :wink:
  • wannaloose60
    Options
    What kind of seasoning should I use? It does sound yummy ! Thanks.
  • stacybolstridge
    Options
    I love those foods too. Chocolate is a beast. Yoplait yogurt makes 100 calorie chocolate yogurt that's really good, My kids eat it. You can make healthier pizza is you go homemade. I make homemade whole wheat crust, light sauce, and part skim milk cheese. Or, you could make them on pita bread, which is good too. For burgers (mmm) I make them smaller, with lean ground beef and skip the bun. It cuts down the cals by about 120. Now I'm really hungry:)
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and it's so hard to cut out of my diet so what I've been doing to substitute it for is making personal pizzas using whole wheat tortillas. I bought Mission 96% fat free whole wheat tortillas and spread about 1/4 cup of Ragu light tomato and basil sauce on one, add 1/3 cup of weight watchers italian blend shredded cheese and whatever veggies you like. I LOVE garlic so I sprinkle a little garlic powder on it, oregano and add mushrooms and spinach. I also add a little fat free parmesan cheese to each. I put them in a small toaster oven one at a time at 350 degrees for about 5-10 minutes (just enough for the cheese to melt and for a little crispiness). MFP calculated this recipe at about 278 calories each. Not too bad and a lot healthier than take away pizza.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When I was on WW I made my own pizza just so I could have eat it. I took a low fat, whole wheat pita (whole, not halved), tomato paste (seasoned to taste), veggies (bell peppers, onions, etc.), and a low fat cheese. I would spread about 2 Tbsp of seasoned paste on the pita, add the veggies, and two pinches of cheese. Baked it for about 10-15 minutes. It was a personal pizza worth about 6 points.:smile:

This sounds excellent - I am going to have a go making this for lunch sometime!! Yummy - I do miss pizza!
  • ttmac96
    Options
    For cheese burgers have a Boca burger, or some other veggie burger. They're ok once you get used to them. And some taste better than others. I started having dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. It satisfies the craving if I absolutely have to have it and it's a pretty healthy choice. Moderation is key.
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody you just need to change how you eat the things you love not what you eat. Preparing food yourself can cut calories not to mention sodium! You can make homemade chicken pita pizza's or thin crust chicken pizza. I also will substitute my burger bun with lettuce or even pita burger buns. As far as chocolate goes I have a square of dark chocolate almost everyday...it satisfies my need for chocolate without harming my calorie count! Good luck finding what works for you!
    PS those mushroom pizza's sound amazing!!
  • kcphilly
    Options
    I'm not a big chocolate fan...sounds strange I know...but I love my sweets in general so I have been getting dark chocolate squares and I use that if I'm craving something sweet after a meal or around snack time. It keeps me from getting tempted to buy cookies/cakes etc and I feel better knowing it has some redeeming qualities.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Try Boca Burgers, I really like them! Or if they are not your think try switching to lean ground turkey burgers instead. use low fat cheese and multi-grain sandwich thins (only 100 calories each)

Try making your own tortilla pizzas with whole grain tortillas, pasta sauce, low fat cheese, veggies and meats in moderation

I LOVE sugar free fudgesicles for your chocolate fix, only 40 calories a piece :)

You might also want to go to www.hungrygirl.com for some low cal re-do's of all the bad stuff we love from restaurants :)
  • Jenniebee10
    Jenniebee10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a choco-holic so I buy the Jell-o Mousse temptations, they are a nice little snack to get rid of my craving, for only 60 calories. Sometimes I have a hershey kiss. But like everyone has been saying its mainly about portion control.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    get Cadburys highlights hot chocolate, get it in sachets to start with so you dont be heavy handed with it, it has 40 cals a cup and cures the choc craving

cheese burgers. replace the beef burger with a quorn one and use one cheese square have a wholemeal bun . you will be surprised by the savings.

if you want pizza, make mini ones slice a bread bun in half, spread with tomato puree weigh your cheese and put it on top and grill it

or make your own pizza from scratch. or just buy one ready made which tells you how much a slice and have just a slice with salad and a baked potatoe.

just because you are on a diet it doesnt mean you cant have junk occasionally. if its hard work you wont stick at it
  • eenobe
    Options
    Hello. I am a vegetarian and have been for a while now. :)
    There all lots of options to substitute foods like red meat.

If you google "red meat" it is one of the worst things to put into your body.
    I am not saying don't eat red meat at all, you can substitue red meat in pasta or even burgers with turkey burgers, ground chicken (in pasta) or veggie burgers. You are still getting all the protein you need, it's just less fat and cholesterol.

As for pizza, you can make your own. You can get whole wheat pizza dough, frozen in the grocery store. Then just add all your own fresh toppings.

When eating chips or anything you like thats considered "junky", make sure you don't eat in front of the TV and put it into a bowl, because we don't realize how much we eat.

Yes, just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean that you can't have things you like!! Just monitor what you're putting in your body and portion control!

I used to be heavy and portion control was my biggest challenge.

I hope this helps :)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    seasoning would be oregano, basil, maybe red pepper flakes if you like heat.