Help... Following MFP and still gaining weight...

Options
2»

Replies

• janack
    janack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would be inclined to think that you are grossly over-estimating your workout calories and are consuming to much to lose weight. If you were eating those foods before then I don't think the sodium would would make you gain weight since you never lost it by reducing it in the first place. If you were watching your sodium and then consumed a lot and didn't drink much water it could make you gain, but it doesn't sound like that is what you have done. I would reevaluate your workout calories and how you are calculating them.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    What about your fruit / veg / salad?

Are you drinking enough water?

I totally appreciate that you are sticking to your cal allowance but we could all do that and live on ready meals - that doesn't mean our body is getting the correct nutrients etc... This may have some impact on your weightloss?

I have always been told that healthy weightloss means you need to include as much fruit and veg as possible and cook from scratch as much as you can...
  • DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing your weigh in time to first thing in the morning. It will help you keep a more consistant milestone. You will not have to worry about the weight from food and water consumed during the day. You will be lighter in the morning, so I would just use the morning weigh in as a new baseline and not count as weight lost. As others have mentioned, stay away from the prepackaged foods with all of the sodium. It will make you retain extra water which will make your weight flucate more.
  • CosmicChameleon
    CosmicChameleon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks everyone! I gotta get back to work... and I think you guys have all come up with the same answers... high sodium intake is probably what's killling me! And, I need to really start drinking more water... I know I don't drink enough...

I'm gonna try these two things out... I'm not sure my wife and I can change the foods just yet... as our schedules make it quite hard to get quality prepared foods on our table... but I'm going to try.

My diary is open... but please know I haven't really been tracking my fluid intake. But it does consist of sodas and some 0cal juices like snapple, etc... which, again, I know are quite high in sodium.

So this seems like the answer for me!! Thanks!! =D
  • CosmicChameleon
    Options
    Oh, and just as a note... I started my weight loss back in Febuary of last year, and I started at 290. I wasn't playing Racquetball back then, but was doing other exercises (and I haven't changed my diet much since back then)... but I've been trying different things...

So all in all I've lost 45lbs... which is probably closer to 60lbs cumulatively, since I had gained back about 10lbs last summer when I stopped exercising as much. So my wight loss HAS been going well in general.

It's really only been in the last few weeks that I've hit this slight bump in the road where I've not been losing much. So that just means I'm going to take all your comments to heart and try to shift my habits a bit and keep going! I'm definitely not discouraged at all... I was just needing some advice on why I might have been gaining instead of losing, and I think you all hit the nail on the head...

So again, thank you everyone! =D
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks everyone! I gotta get back to work... and I think you guys have all come up with the same answers... high sodium intake is probably what's killling me! And, I need to really start drinking more water... I know I don't drink enough...

I'm gonna try these two things out... I'm not sure my wife and I can change the foods just yet... as our schedules make it quite hard to get quality prepared foods on our table... but I'm going to try.

My diary is open... but please know I haven't really been tracking my fluid intake. But it does consist of sodas and some 0cal juices like snapple, etc... which, again, I know are quite high in sodium.

So this seems like the answer for me!! Thanks!! =D

My husband and I are both away from home for around 11-12 hours a day and we manage to eat relatively healthy (sure we'll have a 1/4 of a frozen pizza every now and then, but we eat pretty good). A slowcooker is a GODSEND! Set it before you leave, and food is waiting for you when you come home. Also, getting stuff like casserole type meals cooked on the weekend so it just needs to be heated up is a good idea. We'll have foods in the freezer like frozen fish (not the breaded stuff!) for nights when we're going to be late and will dump in a bag of frozen veggies (takes a couple of minutes to cook). Planning meals isn't much fun, but it really does help. Plus it lets you take into account if you're going to be exercising so you know if you should have a lighter meal.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but this is what me and my honey do. Every Sunday and every Wednesday, I cook up enough baked, grilled, or shake n baked chicken (and fish) to last us until the next cook day. We buy the veggie steambags, and I cook up some brown rice. I portion out all the meat in ziploc bags and portion out the rice in tuppaware. We eat that for lunch and dinner throughout the week. Yes, we don't just eat that all the time, but that is a big portion of our meals!!! I also make lean turkey burgers, spaghetti with low sodium sauce, whole wheat noodles and lean ground turkey or beef. Planning is the key to everything! and it's nice that I don't have to cook everyday!!! it really helps!

Everyone has their own opinion about exercise calories and such. Science is just peoples opinions as well. You can't actually prove most science! and most scientist have different opinions! Just figure out what works for you!!! b/c everyone is different. If I personally were to eat back all my exercise calories, I wouldn't lose weight. i can eat into them a hundred or two, but when I tried eating all of them or even a little less than that, i was actually gaining! Just experiment until you find something that works for you! As far as starvation mode goes, it seems like you change up your eating/calories quite often, that will keep your body guessing, I doubt you will go into any kind of "starvation" mode. lol. I don't really believe in that, so to speak, but I do know that would only be possible if you were to eat very low calorie for a certain length of time.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Since you have been at this a long time, it is essential that you change things up. I find I lose best when I change what I'm doing at least every 3-4 weeks.
    First, like others have said, get way more fresh fruits and vegetables. It takes very little time to rinse berries, or even cut a pineapple, and if you can roast up a batch of veggies, they reheat nicely. Try making soups by tossing whatever fresh veggies are around into low-sodium broth for a quick meal. Also drop the white flour completely. Those empty carbs are diet killers.
    Try new exercises. Your body gets used to repeated movements and they stop being very effective. Try basketball for a while, or join a class doing a P90X style program, to give different muscles a workout.
    I suspect you may be underestimating calories. Weigh foods whenever possible, or measure them out in a measuring cup. Your body is starved for nutrition and choking on sodium, white flour, and fat. Try eating a rainbow of foods, as close to nature as possible and your calories won't even be an issue any more. It's actually a little difficult to eat 2000 calories worth of fresh fruits and veggies, 3 lean meats, and 4 whole grains a day. When I really stick to eating clean, I often have to go find something extra to eat at the end of the day because I haven't gotten to my 1200 net yet.
    Good luck. I bet you will like eating clean if you give it a try for 6 weeks. I feel yucky when I eat a burger and fries now that my body is used to better stuff.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I see that on some days your are remaining quite a few calories. I dont think its so wise to be below your allowance by so much. Your confusing your body, one day you over eat the next your way under. your body will think your starving yourself if you keep going so many hundreds under your allowance and wont let you burn anything.

Also any food that is pre-prepared and packaged for you has a whole lot of extras added like salt and sugar so you would be better off making your food from scratch. that way you know exactly whats going into your body.

keep up the excersice though.

Very well said! :)
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, I think part of the problem is that you are eating too much take out type food. You'll be amazed at how much more you can eat if you cut out some of the bad stuff and start eating more healthy. Healthy food fills you up so much better and faster and takes up much fewer calories. I think you'll find that if you start eating better you won't feel like eating your calorie allowance each day. For example, for breakfast, try making a big egg white omelet with maybe some veggies in it or whole grain toast - if you want, add a little low fat cheese to the omelet so it won't be so bland. Add a little natural peanut butter to your toast instead of regular butter. For snacks, have some airpopped popcorn with popcorn spray and seasonings. Just buy the popcorn kernels and some paper bags and pop in the microwave on the popcorn setting. Then add some butter flavored-spray and whatever seasonings you like. It will take some getting used to, but try to start substituting healthier versions of the stuff that you love to eat. Once you adjust to these changes, I think you will start to lose weight faster.

P.S. I do agree that the weight gain could be that you built muscle though. Good luck in your journey and don't give up! It's discouraging at times but you can do it!!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I saw you opened up your diary. Here are some suggestion:
    (1) cut your big soda intake
    (2) eat smaller meal, take more snacks (your body start consume all the calories you ate, if the meal is too big, those calories didn't get used, it will store, regardless if at the end of the day you are under total calories or not)
    (3) starting healthier diet, limit restaurant food.

I noticed one of the day you have 1800+ calories just for a dinner @ Arby's (exactly my point #2 & #3)
  • CosmicChameleon
    Options
    Thank You kindly atomdraco, and everyone else!

I will surely take ALL of this advice into account, and start shifting my habits! My plan is to be down to about 200 by the end of the year, and eating MUCH more healthy! And I've been noticing that making all these minor shifts here and there as I go has been having the best results... so I shall continue!

Thanks all! =D
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Your body will not think it's starving itself. That is a silly myth. Think of the Biggest Loser, do you think those people eat back all their exercise calories? No. Don't eat so much the days you play raquetball. And don't eat prepackaged food high in sodium. Try to eat natural foods. I've been making things from scratch, and believe me, my body feels so much better now. If you have a Whole Foods or something nearby, that's a great place. If not, try to buy more fresh stuff. Fish is an amazing food...very filling and low in calories. But try and get it as fresh as possible! Also, drinks LOTS of water!

I completely agree! I hardly EVER eat back my exercise calories - the whole point is to create a deficit in your calorie intake in order to lose. I'm sure every body's different ... but I think it's a myth too! Otherwise how do anorexic people become that way - their body's wouldn't let them lose if that's the case! (Totally NOT advocating that - but to use as a point)

I also agree to limit processed foods. Eat more fresh, clean foods. Veggies, whole grains, lean meats, fresh/frozen fruits and a lot of water. Check the ingredients list - the more ingredients = the more it's processed and the worse it is for you. Look for simple ingredients and less processed.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    How's the inches? Sometimes, the loss doesn't show on the scale, but it will in the mirror.

And be patient. THe losses don't always come evenly, x pounds every week, sometimes nothing happens for a while, then BAM! a few pounds disappear.

And think of changing up your exercise routine. Make sure you've giving your body time to rest/recover, and try intervals or using a different set of muscles for a while.

Good luck!

To the above poster: Too low of a deficit will cause muscle loss and possibly organ failure, which we definately do not want (yes, lets look at those anorexic people).
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Your body will not think it's starving itself. That is a silly myth. Think of the Biggest Loser, do you think those people eat back all their exercise calories? No. Don't eat so much the days you play raquetball. And don't eat prepackaged food high in sodium. Try to eat natural foods. I've been making things from scratch, and believe me, my body feels so much better now. If you have a Whole Foods or something nearby, that's a great place. If not, try to buy more fresh stuff. Fish is an amazing food...very filling and low in calories. But try and get it as fresh as possible! Also, drinks LOTS of water!

I completely agree! I hardly EVER eat back my exercise calories - the whole point is to create a deficit in your calorie intake in order to lose. I'm sure every body's different ... but I think it's a myth too! Otherwise how do anorexic people become that way - their body's wouldn't let them lose if that's the case! (Totally NOT advocating that - but to use as a point)

I also agree to limit processed foods. Eat more fresh, clean foods. Veggies, whole grains, lean meats, fresh/frozen fruits and a lot of water. Check the ingredients list - the more ingredients = the more it's processed and the worse it is for you. Look for simple ingredients and less processed.

Perhaps you aren't aware yet, but the reason people say this (eating back calories) on MFP, is because MFP ALREADY CREATES A DEFICIT REGARDLESS OF EXERCISE. If you chose a 1 lb per week loss goal, then MFP subtracts 500 cals from your daily goal to achieve that loss. You will have a 500 cal deficit in your goal whether you sit on your butt, log 20 minutes of exercise, or log 5 hours of exercise. Simple.

To address your second idea, anorexics restrict calories to the extent that the body begins to break down EVERYTHING - fat, muscle, bones, hair, teeth, etc. Clearly, this is not the goal for healthy weightloss. If you do not replace exercise cals, you create a larger deficit than you (presumably) intended when you set up your account - 1 to 2 lb deficit vs 3 lb or more. At that level of deficit (unless you have at least 100+ lbs to lose), your body will lose an undesirable ratio of fat and muscle, for a short time (may be a month, may be several months). After that, your body begins to conserve as much as possible, your metabolism slows to enhance the conservation, and you will plateau and/or regain weight, particularly when you begin to binge because the calorie restriction is too much for your brain. Again, simple.

Please educate yourself by reading the threads I posted previously in this thread, or read the stickies at the top of each topic. It will do you a world of good. Good luck to you!
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options

Perhaps you aren't aware yet, but the reason people say this (eating back calories) on MFP, is because MFP ALREADY CREATES A DEFICIT REGARDLESS OF EXERCISE. If you chose a 1 lb per week loss goal, then MFP subtracts 500 cals from your daily goal to achieve that loss. You will have a 500 cal deficit in your goal whether you sit on your butt, log 20 minutes of exercise, or log 5 hours of exercise. Simple.

To address your second idea, anorexics restrict calories to the extent that the body begins to break down EVERYTHING - fat, muscle, bones, hair, teeth, etc. Clearly, this is not the goal for healthy weightloss. If you do not replace exercise cals, you create a larger deficit than you (presumably) intended when you set up your account - 1 to 2 lb deficit vs 3 lb or more. At that level of deficit (unless you have at least 100+ lbs to lose), your body will lose an undesirable ratio of fat and muscle, for a short time (may be a month, may be several months). After that, your body begins to conserve as much as possible, your metabolism slows to enhance the conservation, and you will plateau and/or regain weight, particularly when you begin to binge because the calorie restriction is too much for your brain. Again, simple.

Please educate yourself by reading the threads I posted previously in this thread, or read the stickies at the top of each topic. It will do you a world of good. Good luck to you!

Well obviously I'm not condoning the practice of starvation. As anyone can see I posted healthy food items to focus on and ones to stay away from. I also am aware that people who have struggled w/anorexia also lose parts of themselves that are not intended (as you said, muscle, teeth, organ function, etc.) My point WAS that everyone is different and everyone's body requires different nutritional values. I do not believe that 1200 is some magic number by which weight loss fails or thrives. Sure, it's a guideline, an idea, however I don't believe that everything hinges on that number. I am, and have been speaking of my personal experience - which is what is so great about MFP - everyone has individual stories, experiences and lifestyles. Prior to my pregnancy I lost 15-20 lbs that I needed to lose and kept it off until I was put on bed-rest during my pregnancy and now I'm working on the last 10 lbs I have to lose. Regardless - I would NEVER advocate limiting nutrition to the point of anorexia - poor example - perhaps. My whole point was to say that in my personal experience, I eat healthy, I work-out, I don't make my calorie minimum because I'm not hungry, I'm not deprived, I'm losing fat, and my body doesn't need the extra calories. I eat every three hours, I keep my metabolism up and running. I don't starve, binge, starve, binge which WILL wreck your metabolism and screw up your body. I'm NOT advocating this at all and never alluded to that. To each his/her own. Simple.

Oh... and please don't patronize - it's very rude. Good luck to you too!!
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think your exercise calories burned is calculated incorrectly. I just used an online calculator to calculate (based on your current weight) what an hour of racquetball would burn and I got 779. Some of your days list 1500+ calories burned. Did you play for 2 hours? If not, you are over-estimating your burned calories and that will definately make a difference in your weight loss.
  • rednose83
    rednose83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's what I was going to ask. How are you calculating calories burned? If you're guessing, maybe you're not burning what you think you are. I got a heart rate monitor from Wal-Mart that seems to estimate the calories burned very well.

Also, I think you should focus on eating nutritious, whole foods and balanced meals. For me, it works to eat more often but smaller meals. You seem to be eating small breakfasts and lunches and HUGE (calorie wise) dinners. So, you're hungry all day and the over-stuffed. Or, on some days just the opposite.
  • deidrec
    deidrec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium comments AND the time of day you weigh yourself! You can gain 2 pounds a day just from the food and liquid that you take in but your body hasnt processed. I started in January and the first few weeks were SO discouraging! Stick with it and stay away from the alcohol!! It lowers your metabolism (sad but true) and it makes you retain fluids and that bumps up your weight. I imbibe on weekends and jump right back on the diet on Monday mornings and it takes 2 days to shed the fluid retention from the wine.
  • CosmicChameleon
    Options
    To those asking about the exercise calories where you saw over 1000+ cals burned... Yes, on those days I played for nearly 2 hours.

To everything else... I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to my sodium intake, as well as drinking a LOT more water! I'm not discourage by these past two weeks, being that I don't have any set time-frame that I want/need to lose the weight in. I just have a goal of 200lbs and I'm slowly but surely working toward that as I shift my daily habits.

The quality of the food intake is going to be the biggest change for my wife and I, given our schedules. But it's something we'll be working toward for sure. Until then, I'm going to try and add a lot more fruits and veggies to my diet, even though we'll still be eating those processed meals. Eventually we'll get away from those meals, and have the time to cook every meal!

But I want to thank you all for all of this excellent information. I'm taking it all in.... and one thing I think I'm going to start trying to do is eating much smaller portions more often throughout the day. Our tendency has been to eat all our calorie in just a few meals a day... again, because of our schedules.

Anyways... thanks again!