Whats going wrong

Options
Started my fitness pal on the 10th of January 2010. I been under calorie intake on most days and go to the gym every other day. I have only lost 4lb in 4 weeks is there something I am doing wrong. I have been told to measure inches and not weigh is this correct. I also swapped sweetner for sugar which i'm told slows the body's metabolism. Please someone help!!!!!

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    make sure you are switching up your workouts :)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    a pound a week is still pretty good
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear this, but a pound a week is good and healthy & better chances that you will keep it off.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of things do you do at the gym? Maybe I can give you some ideas to 'amp it up'

:o)
    ~Sarah
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I'd say a pound a week is great! Keep up whatever you're doing.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    you are doing GREAT, that is an excellent rate of loss and when you are building muscle, there might be times when the scale reflects a weight gain because muscle being more dense than fat weighs more but takes up less space (thus the tape measure vs the scales) I am one to use the blue jeans though, because even the tape measure can be deceptive when you have a lot of fat to lose between your chin & your upper thighs. Pants take in an entire area and you can feel whether they are becoming more comfortable. Keep up the good work!
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady keeps off the weight. Keep it up.
  • flgrl3184
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Started the beginning of Jan and have only lost 4.4 pounds. I was told that the slower I lose the longer I keep it off. :-)
  • maggie165
    Options
    1 pound a week is healthy, and you shouldn't go under your calories you're suppose to be taking in or your body will think its in starvation mode.
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is good! Its very disheartening to see others 3 pound a week loss when your scale only goes down half a pound or one pound a week, I have been doing this for seven weeks and have lost seven pounds, but I'm trying to be positive about it, I want my skin to have time to regain some elasticity and I want to keep the weight off. I don't want quick results that I can't maintain and I don't want to lose weight in an unhealthy way, not that my MFP friends do that I know they are doing it right, If your like me I have always eaten well and been active, Its just adjusting my portion control and i'm learning how to make healthy choices 99 % of the time. I don't need fancy coffee's at 350 calories or any of my other little things I used to indulge. Keep your chin up. Your doing great.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I lose 2 pounds a month so I say you are doing great!!!
  • debhobbs
    Options
    I prefer to measure inches for a few reasons. 1) muscle weighs more than fat so if you are going to the gym your weight may not be reducing hugely but your inches might. 2) weight can fluctuate by as much as 5lb in on day, due to fluid intake etc., so if you want to weigh try to do so at the same time of day. Many suggest in the morning after you've been to the loo and before you've eaten breakfast. 3) weight can also fluctuate depending on the time of the month. Incidently, it took me about 3 months of gym work before I started noticing a real difference in my shape. I don't know about sweetner as I don't like it so I stick to sugar! I guess the main question to ask yourself is, do you feel fitter, healthier and slimmer? If the answer is yes, then don't get too hung up on the scales. Personally I think 1lb a week is fine, if you carry on that way think how much you'd loose in a 12 month period! You'll be much more likely to keep if off too! Good luck.
  • Annelynette
    Options
    Taking off a pound a week is probably faster than when you were putting weight one. Don't be discouraged, you are doing great! Steady progress and it will be easier to keep it off. I'm right there with you.... I've been at this for 4 weeks and I've lost 3.5 pounds.
  • discodel
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will just have to keep going. Thanks again:happy: :laugh:
  • jessanderson276
    Options
    yEAH THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN LOSING ABOUT EACH WEEK. EXCEPT FOR MY INITIAL WEEK