Why am I so hungry??!

Options
I don't consider myself DIETING so much as portion controlling and making healthier choices. (And I've done this successfully before.)
Lately, tho, I cannot stop eating. It's driving me BATTY! I get so doggone hungry, I end up eating twice the amount of calories in a day that I should because I'm trying to find little things to tide me over.
I could understand if I were really working out and kicking up my metabolism, but I've slowed down over the last two weeks, so it really doesn't make sense to me... and not to mention how discouraging it is to see the scale numbers slowly creeping back up after all that hard work to force them down.
:sad:

I've tried more protein, more fiber, more water, less salt, less sugar, more food at mealtimes... I have no relief!
PLEASE tell me there is someone out there that can relate, or has been there and can offer some solution???

Replies

• kalebsmama07
    Options
    ive been there done that...and feel like that sometimes....probley 5 out of 7 days a week... lol all i can say is do ur best u have the right idea...im sorry im no help but just know your not alone....
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    I know what you're talking about. Been there too. Feel free to view my diary. Also, if your diary is public, I can look at it to give you some pointers.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My first thought was drink more water- are you getting all 8 glasses a day? When I think I'm hungry but don't want the calories I fill up on celery and tea in between real, nutritious meals. I also try eating at least two cups of spinach of green leaf lettuce before eating other parts of my meals. Good luck!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    It's pretty normal unfortunately. Thousands of years ago, before supermarkets and fast food, those who weren't hungry and attempting to eat all the time were the ones who died. We are stuck with the survivors DNA.

We can eat filling low cal items in an attempt to trick our bodies into "fullness", but otherwise we just have to deal. Just remember, hunger is only weight leaving the body!
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can relate! Two weeks ago I was in the same slump. Well, we did have a blizzard and I was stuck in the house. I think my body thought I need to put on fat as a matter of survival. I had only been doing about 30 minutes easy cardio 2-3 times per week. But today, and for the past couple weeks I haven't given into my temptations. I think the reason why is because I increased my cardio to 60 min a day. I use the cybex, aka arc trainer at the gym. It burns more calories than running - close to 900 per hour. Working out that hard has really suppressed my appetite.

But I also want to tell you not to worry about it too much. Don't be too hard on yourself anyways. Sometimes your body needs a little break so you don't plateau. The key is to keeping your body confused. All body processes burn calories so if you eat bad, still workout. You're burning calories digesting the food and confusing your body later by working out. Your body won't know what to expect so that will keep your metabolism high.

Another thing you might try is more Vitamin D and Iron. Since its hard to get out in the sun during the winter I eat a lot of VitaMuffins. Only 100 calories, 9 grams fiber, 4 grams protein, convenient, and they satisfy my gigantic sweet tooth! They are kind of expensive but so is buying larger clothes ;)

Good luck to you, keep on keeping on.....

Carissa
  • Carissa83
    Options
    I can relate! Two weeks ago I was in the same slump. Well, we did have a blizzard and I was stuck in the house. I think my body thought I need to put on fat as a matter of survival. I had only been doing about 30 minutes easy cardio 2-3 times per week. But today, and for the past couple weeks I haven't given into my temptations. I think the reason why is because I increased my cardio to 60 min a day. I use the cybex, aka arc trainer at the gym. It burns more calories than running - close to 900 per hour. Working out that hard has really suppressed my appetite.

But I also want to tell you not to worry about it too much. Don't be too hard on yourself anyways. Sometimes your body needs a little break so you don't plateau. The key is to keeping your body confused. All body processes burn calories so if you eat bad, still workout. You're burning calories digesting the food and confusing your body later by working out. Your body won't know what to expect so that will keep your metabolism high.

Another thing you might try is more Vitamin D and Iron. Since its hard to get out in the sun during the winter I eat a lot of VitaMuffins. Only 100 calories, 9 grams fiber, 4 grams protein, convenient, and they satisfy my gigantic sweet tooth! They are kind of expensive but so is buying larger clothes ;)

Carissa
  • Carissa83
    Options

Carissa
  • Carissa83
    Options

Carissa
  • Carissa83
    Options
    I have no idea why that posted so many freaking time, sorry. LOL
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    suggestion- chew gum when feeling hungry or buy you some hard candy(possibly sugar free)