Pregnant and wondering?

bottom
bottom Posts: 52 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
After TTC for 2.5 years, my husband and I are finally pregnant! I haven't even had a Dr. appt. yet (it's scheduled for 2 wks. from now), but it's for certain.

For the last six months, I've been living on 1200 calories a day, and I've lost 50 lbs. That certainly doesn't sound healthy for a pregnancy, but what SHOULD I be eating? Is 2,000 calories still the accepted daily amount of calories for a "non-dieting" person? Do I need to add calories beyond that for the first trimester?

I obviously don't mind putting on baby weight. In fact, I'd be happy to. But I'd rather not put on what isn't needed, and have to work harder at getting it back off post-pregnancy.

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    My wife is pregnant 10 or 11 weeks and the Doc told her an additional 300 calories a day is what she needed. currently she has been unable to stomach anything though so she is just trying to keep all food down. she has lost 10lbs in the past month But she is trying and thats all she can do I suppose.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I think you should eat as much as you feel you need to to feel full but def speak with your doctor - its not so much the cal count but what you eat - continue to eat fruits, veggies, whole grain, etc. Dont starve yourself and watch the type of exercise you do. Some are not good for preg women.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Congratulations!!!

I would suggest eating all of your maintenance calories plus about 300 extra for baby. If I remember right, my doc said I needed about 300 more calories when pregnant.
  • i don't know, i don't have children. i just wanted to say congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    switch your goals on here to maintain...those are the calories you should consume for the first trimester. The 2nd and 3rd trimester require an extra 200-300 calories per day if a single baby up to 500 more if twins

Congrats
  • I just want to say Congratulations! I always ended up pregnant after losing weight too. Yes you should at least increase your calorie intake by 300 calories. You should still talk this over with your OB also.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Congrats on conceiving AND the weight loss! Don't have much advice, other than to talk to your Doctor about the specific caloric needs of yourself and your baby.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Usually it's around 200-300 more than your maintenance calories. But because you've been restricted go slowly. You don't want to gain all the weight back but you do need to supply your child with the nutrients it needs to be a healthy baby. Check with your OB/GYN to make sure. Remember your pre-natal vitamins, cut the caffeine and any other harmful habits, and enjoy being prego. Most excersize is fine....I was moving furniture the night before I went into delivery...and I was running at least a mile a day, hiking, dancing, and lifting up until the day before. My daughter was only 4 days early and was larger than she was expected to be. Good luck and best wishes!
  • I saw on Dr. Oz that the first trimester is an additional 100 calories, 2nd additional 200 and 3rd additional 300.

Congrats!
  • Hi I lost 29lbs which is half of my goal, then found out I was pregnant and feel the same way about gaining excess weight which isn't necessary, I did a lot of research and came across pretty much the same advice which was in your third trimester to add an additional 200 calories to YOUR normal intake, the extra isn't really required before that time. I am 23 weeks now and have gained 10 lbs ( the average for women at this time is 12-15lbs) so I hope I am doing this right, but so far so good, It seems I haven't gained weight anywhere other then my tummy (so my partner says :D ) I have still been keeping track of my intake but only keeping track of my weight in my diary. Hopefully I can go back to logging my weight pretty much straight after giving birth without the weight increasing on my ticker (fingers crossed). good luck
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Congratulations!! :flowerforyou: When I was pregnant last year the doctor told me I only needed about a large piece of fruit worth of more calories so it's really not too many. Ask your doctor when you go..they'll tell you for sure what you need to know.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    1st trimester - no additional calories needed, eat at maintenance
    2nd trimester - eat at maintenance + 300 calories
    3rd trimester - eat at maintenance + 300 calories

**note: the above are MINIMUM calories. If your pregnant body says to eat more, by all means EAT MORE.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    You may stay at your maintenance calorie level for your first trimester. During the second and third trimester you'll need to up your caloric intake by about 300 calories per day to account for your growing bundle. CONGRATS!!!!!
  • No idea about calories, but CONGRATULATIONS!! :flowerforyou:
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    when i was pregnant 2 years ago, i decided not to count calories. i basically ate what i wanted to...but didn't stray too much out of my normal range. i made sure i was at or below the suggested weight for where i was at in my pregnancy. all the books say an extra 200 to 300 calories in the 2nd and 3rd trimester. i also exercised for almost the entire time (minus the last couple of weeks). i walked a few days a week, did pre-natal yoga, and did pre-natal exercise dvds. so, do what you are comfortable with.

CONGRATS! :) it's an adventure!
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes and the advice. So far so good, though my stomach isn't thrilled with eating so much more!

I am currently training to run a marathon in June. I'll still only be second trimester, so I'm curious to see what the Dr. will say about that....

Here's to a healthy pregnancy! :)
This discussion has been closed.