What you can do for knee pain?

Options
My knee's started getting bad when I gained all the weight, but not so bad I couldn't function. I don't know if its because of the extra time working out, but this last 2 weeks or so they have been a real pain...literally.

They don't hurt when I do normal activity like walking etc. But anything where I bend down a lot hurts bad! Like squats, lunges etc. I was doing these 3 months ago fine (and 20+ lbs heavier)...I mean, I always had a little discomfort, but this is actual pain. I had to stop a bit into my turbo jam work out today because It felt like if I squatted down again I wouldn't be able to stand back up!

Not sure what I can do about it. Should I be taking supplements or something? Pop some aspirin and continue my work outs or what?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice that's been there. Like I said, just last month I was able to do this stuff fine, its only recent that I've had problems. :frown:

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    BTW - its both knee's...and no swelling or anything.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Ibuorofin, ice packs, and rest.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

So does this mean no working out for a while? :cry: Or can I just take the Ibuprofen, work out....then ice them down?
  • viggie
    viggie Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My friend just told me about a suppliment call CMO. You get it from Herbal Healer. I'm going to give it a try and see if it helps any. Hope you find something that helps.:flowerforyou: It's no fun being in pain.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I always had problems with my knees too because of my weight--but a I lost the 77 pounds now, they are so much better. But i was always told to strengthen the quads
    well I finally did that, my quads are in awesome shape and my knees feel so much better. I do squats every day---with proper form and technique, as well as kick boxing too. I really think it has been the squats. Make sure all your weight is on the back of your heel and that your knees do not go past your toes and stuck your butt out and sit back.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    After a knee injury I did a round of physical therapy and learned the importance of strengthening the muscles around the knee. So doing things like squats...anything that focuses on the leg muscles will help your knees in the long run.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    2 Coral calcium 2X a day does wonders It fixed mine
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Talk about coincidence! I have alwys had a problem with my knees which pretty much resolved when I lost the weight. The past week my right knee is bothering me again. I asked my trainer, he said no working out until Monday, rest it, ice it, motrin, and rub in some tiger balm (similar to ben-gay). Hate the idea of skipping four days but don't want to make it worse so following his advice.

Btw, wheen I first started with him he had me doing squats (only as deep as I could handle) , knee raises, and balancing on a bosu ball to strengthen knees and core.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    If there's no swelling, Ice may not help a ton, but the ibuprofen definitely will (it's also an anti-inflammatory, so any swelling you may have should go away with that.

I'm just going out on a limb here, so take it or leave it, but it may be that your ligaments are just tired and overworked. Make sure to do more strength training but light resistance cardio will help too. The more you strengthen those ligaments, the better they will feel when exercising, and your risk for injury goes WAAAY down.

I speak from experience. I have had 2 knee surgeries, and cannot squat because of my knee pain. Oh, and I'm 22 :P

Good luck, hopefully the pain will subside soon.
  • katharine1957
    Options
    I started taking glucosamine chondrotin about a year ago for my bad knees and it has really helped. Over time it can help re-build your knee as well. I have no more pain in my knees. You can get it at any drug store but I would research to get the best brand you can.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I have the same problem. I had issues with my right knee but now my left knee is acting up. May have to do with some sciatic issues.

I'll try coral calcium.

I also heard Noni juice helps.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I had, repeat HAD, bad knees from all the years of carpentry work. Carrying heavy stuff up ladders on my shoulder, kneeling on hard surfaces, etc.

When I started running last year to continue with my journey, I started having some of the symptoms you describe. I talked to the pharmacist at a CVS and he suggested Osteo-Biflex. He said within a week I would feel a difference and a month I should be good to go. He was right.

I am now running 6.5 miles EVERY day with no pain. Walmart has it - $20 for 80 daily doses.

ETA: My scale monitors Bone Density and since I started taking Osteo, my number has gone from 7.4 to 8.1 in about 8 months. (The higher the better)
  • raele
    raele Posts: 10
    Options
    I've always had knee problems because I've always been heavier. I don't like taking meds when I don't have to so my doc told me to do a specific exercise that you can do during down time to help strengthen.

Lay on your back, make sure your ankle is at a 90 degree angle (as if you were standing) and simply lift your leg making an H. You want to go straight up with your leg, down half way then across as if making the middle of the H, then up the top half and all the way down... hopefully that makes sense! I couldn't think of a clever way to draw it out on here, haha.

Do this as many times as you can, as often as you think of it. It's a great way to strengthen your muscles without adding weight to a sore joint.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!! : )
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this topic. I have been having the same problem after I go walking/jogging. I never even thought about doing squats.... I will give that a shot! Good luck to you, Hope you start feeling better!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had, repeat HAD, bad knees from all the years of carpentry work. Carrying heavy stuff up ladders on my shoulder, kneeling on hard surfaces, etc.

When I started running last year to continue with my journey, I started having some of the symptoms you describe. I talked to the pharmacist at a CVS and he suggested Osteo-Biflex. He said within a week I would feel a difference and a month I should be good to go. He was right.

I am now running 6.5 miles EVERY day with no pain. Walmart has it - $20 for 80 daily doses.

ETA: My scale monitors Bone Density and since I started taking Osteo, my number has gone from 7.4 to 8.1 in about 8 months. (The higher the better)

Wow really? I'll sure give a try. funny enough i was just rubbing my knees with some cream my mom has. I did 1hr of interval training boot camp style and some elleptical workout this morning and my knees do really really hurt!!! taking cardio off tomorrow.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

So does this mean no working out for a while? :cry: Or can I just take the Ibuprofen, work out....then ice them down?

Ice definitely helps. I just added running to my cardio and my knees are hurting because of it. The last 2 times I've run and come home in pain, I iced both knees for a while and it got much better. The second time I didn't even take ibuprofen and the ice still helped tremendously.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Even after losing weight, it is not uncommon to experience patello-femoral tendinitis. A lot of cardio exercise--such as running and even ellipticals--do not really work the quads all that much. Exercisers over 40 frequently have weak quads, esp the vastus medialis oblique. Or there is an imbalance between hamstring strength and quad strength.

There are 2 stages to any knee rehab. The first is to reduce the inflammation, the second to strengthen the muscles. If the tendinitis is mild, it may be possible to work on the muscle strengthening without stopping exercise completely. In more severe cases, complete rest and therapy may be necessary.

Squats and lunges can be helpful, but they are more advanced exercises--actually overdoing them can be a cause of the injury in the first place. Normally one would start at a lower level. In the beginning, any exercises need to focus on the VMO.

You can probably google "patello femoral syndrome rehab" to get some specific descriptions and pictures of exercises.

Assuming this is the problem (it's the most common one, but not the only one. (Ideally, you would consult a sports medicine physician and get a specific diagnosis, but we all know that most of us are going to try to treat ourselves),

If you have a physical problem, then rehabilitation should be the first intervention. Things like braces, if they bring relief, often only mask the problem, not solve it. There are certainly unlimited numbers of people out there who are eager to make money off your problem by selling you various pills and creams--these will not directly address the issue either. Depending on the condition, there might be a place for some type of pharmaceutical (or pseudo-pharmaceutical) intervention, but it's best to start by building up the structure--that's usually a more permanent solution.
  • koosdel
    Options

Just rest the joint. Avoid any stresses that require bending the knee. For most starting weightlifters, 72 hours is plenty. You can still do low impact things like lite stationary bikes and various leg extensions. Just avoid anything that requires bending.g the knee under heavy weight.

Our knees take a lot of stress, but usually recover fast. Any kind of jumping or squatting should be out for a day or two.
    If it still hurts, take your recommended dose of ibuprofin, and put ice packs on the sides or back of the knee for no more than twenty minutes. Wait at least 60 minutes before icing them again. Plenty of gentle stretching can help. Stand straight, lift your foot behind you grab your ankle and gently lift. Sit on the floor and roll your feet side to side, and gentle toe touches.

To add stregnth to your knees consider lunges, and squats.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Even after losing weight, it is not uncommon to experience patello-femoral tendinitis. A lot of cardio exercise--such as running and even ellipticals--do not really work the quads all that much. Exercisers over 40 frequently have weak quads, esp the vastus medialis oblique. Or there is an imbalance between hamstring strength and quad strength.

There are 2 stages to any knee rehab. The first is to reduce the inflammation, the second to strengthen the muscles. If the tendinitis is mild, it may be possible to work on the muscle strengthening without stopping exercise completely. In more severe cases, complete rest and therapy may be necessary.

Squats and lunges can be helpful, but they are more advanced exercises--actually overdoing them can be a cause of the injury in the first place. Normally one would start at a lower level. In the beginning, any exercises need to focus on the VMO.

You can probably google "patello femoral syndrome rehab" to get some specific descriptions and pictures of exercises.

Assuming this is the problem (it's the most common one, but not the only one. (Ideally, you would consult a sports medicine physician and get a specific diagnosis, but we all know that most of us are going to try to treat ourselves),

If you have a physical problem, then rehabilitation should be the first intervention. Things like braces, if they bring relief, often only mask the problem, not solve it. There are certainly unlimited numbers of people out there who are eager to make money off your problem by selling you various pills and creams--these will not directly address the issue either. Depending on the condition, there might be a place for some type of pharmaceutical (or pseudo-pharmaceutical) intervention, but it's best to start by building up the structure--that's usually a more permanent solution.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Very good.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Check out "Pain Free" by Peter Egoscue one of the best books for correcting bad form and getting you back to exercising. Saved me from a life of chronic pain.