Commitment.

Options
I am 20 years old, and ever since middle school I've always had kicks that I put myself in and said I need to lose weight, and it would be a phase. My boyfriend have been together about 2 years now, and I know he is planning on proposing this year, and I don't want to be fat in my wedding dress.

I feel like I can't commit to a plan, because 1) I am a student so i don;t have a lot of money or spare time. I have a workout DVD but honestly it gets boring after a few days. I was going to join the gym but it was a ridiculous amount of money and im sure mosy of you know college students don't have 200-300 dollars to commit to a years membership at a gym.
eating is a challege becuse I am too far from "home" to go home and make lunch. I need healthy meals on the go. not easy either.

I just am having a really low point and need some motivation. My pants have been a little looser, but i dont see any difference.

Replies

• CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sorry this may sound blunt but if you really want to do it, you will find a way. If you don't you will make up every excuse not to. So get er done.
  • shayla21marie
    shayla21marie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from, but i came to this board for motivation./help and or suggestions.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Its true what she said though, but i guess that comes with motivation :) which it is something you are clearly lacking!
    Money, can be a problem. Spare time however, you have to make time! Go to a local park and start running, lunges, squats, step ups on the bench, sit ups, push ups... you name it. These are excercises that you can start off for about four months without using weights and then slowly add them (because im guessing you havent exercised- and thats why youre here?) they are just some of the exercises i do with my trainer! If you want this that bad you'll be able to do it.

I suggest buying an exercise ball to use at home too! all that time watching tv or talking to your boyfriend you could be exercising at the same time- remember every bit counts!

Also, with food- go out and buy fresh salad, chicken or tuna and wholemeal wraps. start taking them to uni with you! also take some pieces of fruit? try and snack 5 times during the day??

Hope that helps!?!
    add me if u need more support

Ohhh and pay attention to your diary! make sure you're just under everyday! i'd say make it public so people can help you out!
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi Shalya,

Losing weight does take time, commitment and resources you are absolutely right.
    Here are some quick ideas:

Exercise - twice a week run your school track, twice a week do your DVD, twice a week do drills for strength training ( google it for routines)! Rest one day - you can start with sessions that are 30 minutes and work your way up.

Food - invest in a lunch carrier that keeps items cold or hot and pack your lunch. You can buy yourself a smaller pair of jeans with the money you will save from nit buying lunch at school or restaurants everyday.

You can find a way and you WILL look healthy and beautiful in your wedding gown. You have the motivation so now let it drive you!!
  • shayla21marie
    Options
    Thanks for the Reply, my school dosen't actually have a track (yet) they are building a health plex that i believe is opening in september which i am really looking forward to, because right now the gym has one treadmill, and a few weight machines, (not very good for the amount of money we pay! but thats a different story)

I have been bringing lunch to school with me, Ive had lipton soup, which i believe is around 80 cals. and a fruit salad which is what I had today.

thank you :)
  • shayla21marie
    Options
    Ill have to look into the wraps,
    I have been using my slow cooker alot lately, so maybe I can cook up a turkey breast on Sunday and use if for wraps throughout the week.

I wish I could get a trainer! but thats for the suggestions, hopefully it warms up soon! lots of snow and below 25 weather is a little hard on me, I am athsmatic. Ive been doing a bit of cardio in my room, and I have 2 5 pound dumbells.

thanks for replying!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much money at college, but that kept me slim: I could afford a donut OR a bus ticket, not both, so if I bought a donut I'd soon walk it off!:laugh:

I would recommend the following:

• Have a light but healthy breakfast. Stay under 300 kcal including drinks, if you can.
    • Make the healthiest choices you can during the day, and try to make sure you're not so hungry that chocolate becomes irresistible!
    • At night, control your portion sizes. I have been halving my carbs at night for years, which helped counteract any stupidity during the day.
    • Remember that, for now, it's the calories that count, so have the chocolate if it's all that's available, but not all of it!

I sometimes find entering food onto mfp in advance helps me plan better. I have upped my exercise just a little by using RunKeeper to make me walk at 4mph rather than 3, and walking is a great, sustainable, free way to burn some energy.

Good luck, and can't wait to see your wedding pics in 'success stories'.:wink:
  • mrsfoxtrot5
    mrsfoxtrot5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am finding the wii fit a great thing to do. Not too hard that it puts me off and it is surprising hard work.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Reply, my school dosen't actually have a track (yet) they are building a health plex that i believe is opening in september which i am really looking forward to, because right now the gym has one treadmill, and a few weight machines, (not very good for the amount of money we pay! but thats a different story)

I have been bringing lunch to school with me, Ive had lipton soup, which i believe is around 80 cals. and a fruit salad which is what I had today.

thank you :)

You are welcome :)
    Sometimes when I feel like I can't find a solution to a problem I'm having I will try to distance myself from it by asking myself 'if my friend came to me for advise about this issue how would I help her solve it? What advise or suggestions would I give her? Sounds weird but it works!

Best of luck!
  • shayla21marie
    Options
    Thank you :) Hopefuly it warms up soon I love to go for walks its just so darn chilly! haha
    Ive been doing pretty good with breakfast I usually have 1 cup of Vanilla almond Special K and 1 cup of skim milk. but I get the morning cravings around 10 or 11 sometimes due to my silly schedule I dont get lunch till 1 and sometimes as early as 11, silly that they couldnt work it out so that we have a common lunchtime. but oh well! haha

I am pretty good at avoiding Tim Hortons and mcdonalds :)
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Ooo if you're having soup watch your sodium! apparently you should be under 1000 a day and the soups ive had are high in that:)
    you should see a doctor and find out as much info as you can!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Shayla does your bf have an xbox 360? Borrow it or one of the game platforms, like Wii or PS3 (we have an Xbox 360) and buy EA SPORTS ACTIVE 2 & get your buns out there exercising in it! There's also the Yourself Evolved but personally I love this one, the EASA2.

As far as SNACKS go, here are my suggestions:

Gogurt - yogurt in tubes 70 cals
    Popcorn - there are 100 cal bags you can buy or you can make some a week in advance and bag it up into 1 cup sizes
    Pickles - but then you can't talk to people after you eat them ;)
    Fruit - right now you can get a box of tangerine-like Cuties from California for like $5.99 - they are easy to peel and delicious this year

Daily Foods - you are going to have to just do it. Do daily planning, even for a week in advance. Use a crockpot and make low cal beef/chick/veggie stews for yourself, you can also bring them with you in a thermos like thing.

Salads - you can buy low cal dressings, better yet SPRAYS for your low cal salads - NO CHEESE.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    it really is all about portion control.

as for exercise, do you know that you have an exercise machine that is more effective than any insane contraptions that promise magic results?

that's your body.
    doing pushups, sit ups, lunges, planks and squats uses your own body weight and works better than any gimmicky stuff out there. and you can do it anywhere. :)

good luck. It is always the start that sucks but once you get into it, you will see how easy it is and how good it make you feel.

start small, and change one thing everyweek
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really suggest telling your boyfriend that you'd like to lose weight and try working out with him. It is amazing how much it helps to have another person work out with you! A little over a month ago, I told my boyfriend that I wanted to lose weight and he said that he did also. So, we both joined a gym (we found one for one $24 for both of us combined) and we go to workout together at least 3 times a week. I know that I wouldn't have stuck with exercising this long if I wouldn't have him going with me.

I'm not sure if you live in a dorm or apartment complex, but if you do you could try walking around the inside there during the winter. At your university, try to take the stairs whenever possible (this also goes for your apartment complex as well). See if your boyfriend or another friend will use the workout DVD's with you. If you only bought one workout DVD, try buying a few more to give yourself some variety.

As far as food, that can definitely be challenging in college! Try to bring healthy snacks with you (like fresh fruits such as bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, strawberries, etc). This will make it less tempting to go to the vending machines and make an impulse snack purchase.

Good luck!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get motivated.... once you're done school there will be a whole new set of obstacles. My advice:

You don't need any equipment at all to get fit. You can walk, or run of you like.

As for meals, it takes planning. You have to make sure you're eating enough food for your body to lose weight. I take my lunch to work almost every day, and it takes a lot of planning ahead, but it can be done. Every weekend, we get groceries for the week. I buy things to make my lunches... lots of fresh fruit and veggies, tortillas and protein to make wraps, and yogurt.

Good luck!
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it will be hard to start when you lack the motivation but I suggest forcing yourself to stay on track for a week by tracking your food and doing the boring exercise DVD. You will start to feel better about yourself and that will motivate you to keep going. I am doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and it really will get you results and is less than $10 on Amazon and Walmart. It also takes less than 30 minutes. You only need weights so the 2.5 lbs will be great. Also there is some information on here or google the couch to 5K program which you could do on your own and takes 25 to 30 minutes a day. You will get more motivation when you start seeing results. Good Luck!!
  • dkn3208
    Options
    Hi Shayla,

Hang in there girl. I am much older than you (55) and for much of my life didn't have to worry about my weight. Learning to control my diet, not give in to fast food temptation and getting into an excerise routine as been really, really hard for me. Fortunatly I have my daughter who started this journey with me and it has really helped me to stay focused. My weight loss goal is something I really want to meet. It has taken me since last May, but I have lost 34 lbs. I went from 200 to 166 and I really feel good. I know it seems like a long time but the year just flew by. I didn't do it by doing anything I can't continue to do for the rest of my life. I just watched my diet (sometimes not all that good!), walked a lot and did some occasional workouts with dvds and the ball and stuff. Nothing really tough, just consistant.

You'll get there if you just stay focussed and don't expect results over night. Be patient and as true to your plan as you can be. If you stumble, just get up and start over the next day. Celebrate every single loss even if it's 1/4lb! Be proud of yourself and don't be too hard on yourself if you don't lose what you expected. Just make the appropriate adjusment and move on!

Good luck to you. I look forward to seeing your success!

Debi
  • shayla21marie
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and support everyone! I appriciate it all!
    :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl,

I totally feel you about the lack of motivation. I have been telling myself for years that "this is the year I'm going to get in shape." I never did.
    I finally got fed up and joined a gym this year. It's definitely not cheap, so I really had to budget carefully. I am in law school (in one of the most expensive cities, to boot!), so I hear you on the financial constraints. It's $70/month, but that's a sacrifice I was willing to make. Definitely cuts down on the money I have to go out to eat all the time!

So, if you think you need to join a gym because working out at home isn't working out for you, do some comparison shopping. See what the rates. Get a free "trial" membership. Then, once those run out, you can pit them against each other, i.e. "Well your competitor said their rates are $15 cheaper." See how it goes. Also, make the most out of being a student. Ask about student discounts. Some offer them, others don't, but that can be another bargaining chip you can use when you find the place you really like!

About the food; I'm working on it as well, since I'm relatively new to this site and eating healty in general. I have found that a $50 grocery budget can go a long way, even in DC, for some really good produce and other good-for-you foods. I'm going to get a lunch bag this weekend, to take advantage of some of the other tips that people left, as well!

Good luck, and I hope this helps!