Peanut Butter

Options
Gwooh
Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
I am craving PB! Is it best to buy the All Natural or the Reduced Fat? Which brand do you recommend?

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know which one is better also. I have both reduced fat and regular in my pantry and i know it is used for protein but man, the amount of fat in it is scary so what is one to do?
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    This website might help you make a decision :)

http://healthmad.com/nutrition/four-healthy-brands-of-peanut-butter/
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    All natural.. the less ingrediants the better... I think smuckers is the one i use..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i recomend none!!
    it is sinfull it really is!!
    and yes i love it too and crave it thats why its banned in my house lol

good luck!
  • michbiase
    Options
    Just look for one that has nothing added, sugar, etc. 100% peanuts. Eat in moderation. It's good for you but contains a lot of calories. A PB&J sandwich is likely out of the question!! Try celery sticks with PB spread in them. Measure out your tablespoon of PB first and you'll be surprised how many celery sticks you can fill. Enjoy!!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I use all natural! It's the best for you.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The fat in PB is healthy fat. Obviously you shouldn't eat a cup of it at a time, but the calories in a serving of PB are worth it. Read the labels - don't be fooled by "all natural" labels - look for PB that has ONE ingredient: peanuts. No added sugar, no added salt, no added oils. The brand I usually buy is Krema. The peanut-only PB's taste slightly different, less sweet, but it's healthier for you and there's no reason to buy PB with all the added "stuff" in it.
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I'd like to know which one is better also. I have both reduced fat and regular in my pantry and i know it is used for protein but man, the amount of fat in it is scary so what is one to do?

Peanut butter is what they call "good fats". It is actually a really good for you... in the right proportions of course!

http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/nutrition/skinny_on_fat.html

I eat peanut butter pretty much every morning for breakfast on a piece of toast. I usually only eat half of a serving tho!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    read labels and make the best decision for you.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PB but I only eat it when I need more calories in the day then what I already have. I usually dip with apples or put it on fat free saltines. and I eat reduced fat
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    I love the new "Jif Natural." It actually taste like Peanut Butter. And you dont have to stir it either. But you should always be-careful with peanut butter period... It is soooo good..
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Skippy Natural Creamy - the BEST! and, i am a pb junkie!
  • JeanK56
    Options
    Thanks for the question and answers.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS go for the all natural version.
    Many products ( PB included) will suck out the "good fats" and then, to make up for lost flavor, will add back in quite a bit of sugar. So essentially, you are replacing fat calories for sugar calories. In fact, you'll notice there isn't much of a difference calorie-wise between reduced fat and full fat PB.

If you are really trying to reduce fat intake, but love PB, I always buy the natural kind that has the thick layer of oil sitting at the top and pour it off-- There is usually about 1/4 a cup of oil there. That'll reduce the fat content quite a bit.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Natural all the way!!

I used to eat nothing but Jif Creamy....UNTIL I tried the Natural Peanut butter. The kind I get is local and it's 100% ground roasted peanuts..no added sugars or anything like that.

If you don't have a grocery store that sells freshly ground PB, than i highly recommend the brand Maranatha!! It's delicious!!! They also make AMAZING almond butter as well!

Like others have said...it's healthy fats, so in moderation, it's completely acceptable.
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think our Fresh Market makes fresh PB...I will have to check it out! Thanks for all the responses.
  • pamcakes15
    Options
    Try some Almond Butter - much better for you & yes Fresh Market carries it. Barney Butter (no stir). I too LOVE PB and this has satisfied that craving.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Ditto what Pamcakes said Almond Butter is awesome and better for you than PB.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I buy the Trader Joes all natural; it's really good and cheap ($1.99 here). I usually have 1 teaspoon (not tablespoon) at a time with a banana. It satisfies without being too many calories.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Smucker's Natural (much lower sugar content)... or Joseph's Sugar-Free at the whole foods store. They will have a layer of oil on top and you'll have to stir them up when you first open them. But that's a good thing - means it really is natural as opposed to the other stuff out there.